panteramatt

No more P2P?

Im sure this will never happen here but I was talking to a huge gun enthusiest today who was told by a retired state trooper that nj may get rid of p2p's! Im sure its just a rumor and may have been discussed here but anyone know of any truth to this?

Sort of.

A Bill may be introduced soon that eliminates the redundant application process for permits. Registration/permits will be handled by dealers for all dealer purchased handguns. Face to face acquisitions will still be the same. OGAM will remain.

There was a bill introduced in 2009 to eliminate fingerprinting and to use only the NICS check to determine approval for FPIDs and P2Ps, http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2012/Bills/A3000/2695_I1.HTM

Additionally, that bill reduces the approval requirement to 10 days from the current 30.

That hasn't gone anywhere and is still listed in this legislative session.

But, what you're hearing is the news on page 4 of the May/June issue of ANJRPC's News & Briefs. They are working on a bill to eliminate permits for purchases that go through an FFL that would use the NICS. The bill has been drafted and they are waiting for a bill number to be assigned.

The form of registry would still be filled out at the time of purchase.

This kinda leaves face to face private sales unaddressed and you'd think the older bill would have a better shot at paying if they don't address private sales.

Sort of.

A Bill may be introduced soon that eliminates the redundant application process for permits. Registration/permits will be handled by dealers for all dealer purchased handguns. Face to face acquisitions will still be the same. OGAM will remain.

So if you want something, you either go to a dealer and buy it whenever you want, or you find a private seller and then go apply for a permit, wait 6 to 8 months in some cases, and then get to buy used? I guess everything will start moving through dealers.

Sort of.

THANK YOU!!!!

AFAIK, all handgun transfers must go through a dealer in PA. I see NJ going that route if the aforementioned became law.

Yup, in PA handguns must be transferred though dealers, I believe there is also a way to transfer handguns privately by having the county sheriff or PASP run a NICS check and doing the paperwork on the buyer - not exactly sure how that works though.

Sort of.

That's a step in the right direction. I sent a letter to my reps a few years back asking them to sponsor something like this...

This has been gunshop gossip for about two years now. I am not holding my breath.

Well, Paul does run a gunshop.

This would make me happy. Find a quality dealer that will take care of his customers and I am a happy man.

I have. Paul is my guy, and if you live in S.J., he can be your regular dealer too. :giveheart:

There was a bill introduced in 2009 to eliminate fingerprinting and to use only the NICS check to determine approval for FPIDs and P2Ps, http://www.njleg.sta...000/2695_I1.HTM

Additionally, that bill reduces the approval requirement to 10 days from the current 30.

That hasn't gone anywhere and is still listed in this legislative session.

But, what you're hearing is the news on page 4 of the May/June issue of ANJRPC's News & Briefs. They are working on a bill to eliminate permits for purchases that go through an FFL that would use the NICS. The bill has been drafted and they are waiting for a bill number to be assigned.

The form of registry would still be filled out at the time of purchase.

This kinda leaves face to face private sales unaddressed and you'd think the older bill would have a better shot at paying if they don't address private sales.

The link you provided and the stat leg website shows that this law was just presented again on March 8, 2012. This should be something that we all should write our reps about, no?