cgdawg27

what muzzle devices are legal to own?

Hi everyone i was wondering what muzzle devices i can buy that will actually work for faster follow up shots and was wondering about legalities.

Im looking at the advanced armament blackout muzzle break as an example...legal??

http://www.tactical-...t-muzzle-brake/

How do we know what is considered a flash hider?? based on the name??

Is there a list somewhere or do i have to contact each manufacturer?

Any muzzle device that does not suppress a flash is legal. :roulette:

That being said, I would go with what a manufacturer advertises as being a brake or compensator. If they advertise it as a flash hider, I would stay away from it.

As far as which works the best, I will leave that for others who actually shoot to post their results.

Hi everyone i was wondering what muzzle devices i can buy that will actually work for faster follow up shots and was wondering about legalities.

Im looking at the advanced armament blackout muzzle break as an example...legal??

http://www.tactical-...t-muzzle-brake/

How do we know what is considered a flash hider?? based on the name??

Is there a list somewhere or do i have to contact each manufacturer?

This one is not jersey legal. It has threads on it to accept a sound suppressor.

Basically you need to find a muzzle brake that does not have threads.

Something like a Battle Comp, Spike's Dynacomp, Troy Medieval/Claymore, PWS FSC556, Rainier Arms XTC...

There are others, but I can't think of them right now.

The law says:

A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor

Once a muzzle device is attached, i.e. pinned and welded, it becomes part of the barrel. IMO, it can be threaded if no FLASH suppressor can be attached.

This one is not jersey legal. It has threads on it to accept a sound suppressor.

Basically you need to find a muzzle brake that does not have threads.

Something like a Battle Comp, Spike's Dynacomp, Troy Medieval/Claymore, PWS FSC556, Rainier Arms XTC...

There are others, but I can't think of them right now.

Smith comp, mini y comp, y comp, miculek comp, Benny Cooley comp, Jo tank brake, nordict tactical comp, Nordic corvette comp, Nordic shark comp, hammerhead comp, Titan comp, tti recoil eliminator, sure fire has at least three flavors of their revision of the f-2 comp, the f-2 comp, talon comp, firebird comp, levang linear comp, etc. there are probably 50 or 60 that make the cut.

Thanx for the advice this is goin on a bushmaster xm15...i have a y comp on there now and its ok easily the loudest rifle i have...anyone finding any one comp better then the others?

How about comps that dont blast out your shooting partner next to you...any suggestions for something that helps with control and puts the blast forward?

In general, thing that put the blast forward aren't that effective. The Nordic comps aren't brutal and work ok. The JP tank brake is one of if not the most effective, but it is huge and pretty loud.

Sound wise, most anything is an improvement on the mini y comp.

Thanx for the advice this is goin on a bushmaster xm15...i have a y comp on there now and its ok easily the loudest rifle i have...anyone finding any one comp better then the others?

How about comps that dont blast out your shooting partner next to you...any suggestions for something that helps with control and puts the blast forward?

I believe the Troy Claymore puts the blast forward.

I have a question for those in the know. Is it possible to purchase a 12.75 upper and fit it with a 3.25 muzzle break or flash suppressor therefore making it the legal 16 inches? Could this be screwed on or would it have to be welded on. I understand that the break or suppressor can't be threaded itself, but could one be legal by just screwing a 3.25 into the barrel?

Thanks guys.

I have a question for those in the know. Is it possible to purchase a 12.75 upper and fit it with a 3.25 muzzle break or flash suppressor therefore making it the legal 16 inches? Could this be screwed on or would it have to be welded on. I understand that the break or suppressor can't be threaded itself, but could one be legal by just screwing a 3.25 into the barrel?

Thanks guys.

federal law requires you to get to 16inches or register as a short barrel rifle..

short barrel rifles are not permitted in NJ..

a sub 16in barrel with a muzzle device is still sub 16inches..

the only way it gets longer than 16 is if the muzzle device becomes a permanent part of the barrel..

Permanent methods of

attachment include full-fusion gas or electric steel-seam welding, high-temperature (1100°F) silver

soldering, or blind pinning with the pin head welded over.

so to answer your question..

it will need to be permanent in NJ.. and it will need to be a brake and NOT a flash hider..

even if it is a 16in barrel if it is threaded.. you will need a brake that is permanently attached to not count as an evil feature..

Battlecomps (and Spike Tactical's version, the dynacomp) are supposedly less punishing for muzzle blast than other muzzle brakes/compensators.

The law says:

Once a muzzle device is attached, i.e. pinned and welded, it becomes part of the barrel. IMO, it can be threaded if no FLASH suppressor can be attached.

Agreed here

So .. the Ops Inc brake that has threads on the outside with a thread protector is legal if the brake itself is pinned? Thought the whole shebang had to be pinned ?

Molon Labe