Teky0101

West Deptford: High Water Bills

Yeah, back in the day when I was young and cars had carbs and points and lead in gas, people actually had to come into your house before all this wireless emf pollution.

My house has the old mechanical meter. I take the guy from the township down into my basement every now and then so he can read it.

I suppose they have just been installing those fancy new meters in new housing? Mine was built in 1960, probably original water meter.

My house has the old mechanical meter. I take the guy from the township down into my basement every now and then so he can read it.

I suppose they have just been installing those fancy new meters in new housing? Mine was built in 1960, probably original water meter.

Actually our house was built in the 70's and they installed a new water meter last year. The problem is that they did not have the correct readers since they went with several types and they ended up estimateding our bills instead of getting an actual figure. So the then result was really high bills! It appears to be going back to normal for now unless they are estimating us again.

My folks still have a mechanical meter. Frankly, at the age the meter is, the town should be replacing it and should be installing remote readers.

Here's a study about when mechanical meters should be replaced. http://www.wwdmag.com/meters/determining-economical-optimum-life-residential-water-meters

You'll note that they do not include in their analysis the reduction in labor force required to read a new remote read meter over the current manual process.

Do this simple test to see if there is a leak and if it is on your side. Go throghout your house and make sure that all the faucets are closed, toilets have stopped refilling, refrigerator ice maker is not cycling, etc. Once you're sure everything that uses water is in fact off, go out to your water meter and see if it is still seeing water being used at the moment. if you do, then there is a leak somewhere. I had to do this once and it worked for the way my house is setup. I had my wife turn the faucet on as I was looking at the meter and I was able to see the the meter go up. When she shut the water off, the meter stopped.

To my fellow West Deptford Residents if you check your mail today you will probably see why our water bills are so high. It seems some employees have been misreading their own water meters.

Letter you say? I'll have to check!!!

I cant scan the first page of the letter because its an unormal size paper, but its two articles one from the gloucester county times and one from WestDeptfordPatch.

http://www.nj.com/gloucester-county/index.ssf/2012/09/mayor_chintall_attorney_genera.html

http://westdeptford.patch.com/articles/audit-investigation-moves-to-state-attorney-general-s-office

The letter portion is from Jeff Hansen who's running for Township Committee, if you want that portion let me know and I can scan that to you.

Damn, more folks from my town than I thought on here.

West Deptford is a nice little town, but way too expensive.

Funny thing is that most people do not realize is that West Deptford has consistently lower property taxes than the rest of the county..... Prolly cause more freeholders live in that township....just my theory.

Funny thing is that most people do not realize is that West Deptford has consistently lower property taxes than the rest of the county..... Prolly cause more freeholders live in that township....just my theory.

Know what else West Deptford has more of than any other township/city in the county (and the state, for that matter)? Debt. Over $140,000,000. And the population is only 18,000.

F'ing Democrats...