Sign in to follow this  
BCeagle

Another story about cops getting out of control

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1751956496001/anaheim-police-defend-fatal-shooting-of-unarmed-gang-member/?intcmp=obnetwork

I really didnt care about this story when I heard about it. I assumed it was a misunderstanding and the guy got shot. Unfortunately, the guy was shot in the back while running away after being seen "acting suspiciously" for leaning against a car. You dont shoot someone in the back unless you know he did something really wrong. I dont care if he had a kilo of coke, you dont shoot him in the back if he is unarmed, BUT EVEN WORSE

:29 of the video the police are shooting beanbags and their appears to be a pair of kids under 10 cowering in a sparse crowd

at :35, a police dog attacks a BABY STROLLER, WTF

As usual people see 5 second clips and pass judgement. Nobody sees what happened before. Anybody remember the recent college pepper spray incident. The media left out the extended period before the kids got sprayed. Also in a riot situation cops are vastly outnumbered. If you are there then too bad. Keep away. Overwhelming use of force to make the masses think being there isnt worth it. I dont know the circumstances around the shooting so i wont comment. But rest assured the media doesnt give the full story.

I love how here people are so quick to criticize the media about lack of credibility when it comes to guns but when police are involved stories are taken ad fact. Double standard

I agree you usually have to see the whole story, and I defended the cop is Seattle who punched the woman in the face, BUT when I see a german shepard attack a stroller something is wrong. I have seen the extended clip and it showed even more children the crowd. Are we really going to become a country that opens fire on children? and shoots unarmed people in the back? Do you trust your police that much?

Did you see the extended clip? if not, you should watch it before criticizing someone else. Its ridiculous for you to criticize something that is wrong and blame me for bringing it up. Stop being so reactionary and protecting the cop and attacking the media (as well as the OP) without looking into it 1st.

Overwhelming use of force to make the masses think being there isnt worth it. I dont know the circumstances around the shooting so i wont comment.

Sort of like the Boston Massacre, Tienneman Square, Kent State. Remember the kid that got stomped after the Maryland Football game? but I will keep that in mind. If there is nothing violent going on, the masses can congregate in as many numbers as they wish. It must have been really rough for the 8 year old and the baby in the stroller. They must have been an imminent threat.

I agree the stroller is bad. That lady seemed to be wrong place wrong time. If you noticed the cop was right there and the dog moved on. Nothing happened to the baby or the woman with the stroller. Cop gave a command and the dog stopped and advanced further in the crowd. Maybe if the people werent rioting like savages then this doesnt happen. Ever look at it that way? Copa and dog wouldnt even be there. The actions of the masses should be blamed for putting her in harms way.

Ever look at it that way? Copa and dog wouldnt even be there. The actions of the masses should be blamed for putting her in harms way.

Yes and I agree if they were rioting throwing bottles etc. then that could be an issue, but if they were peacefully protesting then you cant blame the masses. If it wasnt for being a dad and the stroller, I probably wouldnt have posted it.

This is an easy solution everyone seems to forget. If a cop says stop, you stop, if a cop says jump you ask how high. Later you can question his motive. If you disobey a police officer and the law they represent, one shouldn't be surprised of an out come like this. You can always question later and understand the mindset on the officer, whether right or wrong, but you can't if you are dead. I have little sympathy for those that directly and intentionally disobey the Police. What surprises me is the lack of responsibility when a woman takes her child or participates in questionable activity. Then wants to be over dramatic of her situation that she was ultimatly responsible for. RESPONSIBILITY - no one has any these days.

Maybe its just the traditionalist in me, but when I get ready to participate in a riot, I leave my wife and kids at home.

I don't trust anyone or any group implicitly, but in a riot situation I'd trust the police more than an idiot bringing their kid(s) to a riot. They have a habit of doing this out there in LA. In Somalia in 1993 idiots did the same thing -- whole families marched to the sound of the guns at the Black Hawk Down incident and got caught in the crossfire. Provocateurs use people like this as shields, which is something not being looked at. In that quick snippet, you can't see if anyone is beyond the people that got hit with the beanbags - maybe the real target of the police officer(?). In that chaotic environment, can we assume that the cop saw and processed that there were small kids in front of him? I'm not willing to make that assumption, given the chaos in that video and the known effects of adrenaline. And the dog was not deliberately sent after a child -- the officer seems to me to have lost control of the animal, judging by the frantic way he ran after it (and from what I've read elsewhere).

I agree you usually have to see the whole story, and I defended the cop is Seattle who punched the woman in the face, BUT when I see a german shepard attack a stroller something is wrong. I have seen the extended clip and it showed even more children the crowd. Are we really going to become a country that opens fire on children? and shoots unarmed people in the back? Do you trust your police that much?

Did you see the extended clip? if not, you should watch it before criticizing someone else. Its ridiculous for you to criticize something that is wrong and blame me for bringing it up. Stop being so reactionary and protecting the cop and attacking the media (as well as the OP) without looking into it 1st.

Sort of like the Boston Massacre, Tienneman Square, Kent State. Remember the kid that got stomped after the Maryland Football game? but I will keep that in mind. If there is nothing violent going on, the masses can congregate in as many numbers as they wish. It must have been really rough for the 8 year old and the baby in the stroller. They must have been an imminent threat.

Come one now, you can't seriously be comparing this to Tianenmen Square? This doesn't even stack up to the Boston Massacre, at least in body count. The one way it does mimic Boston is in the stupidity of the "victims". This is NOT Syria -- the cops were using bean bags, confronting a very angry mob who was unintelligent enough to bring their children to a riot. A good parent, a responsible Citizen doesn't do that. And the cops were not breaking down doors to specifically target children, so I think we should cut them at least a little slack until the smoke settles -- the riots are still going on out there, largely because of the way the story is being erroneously hyped as "COPS GUN DOWN WOMEN AND CHILDREN!!!!"

This is an easy solution everyone seems to forget. If a cop says stop, you stop, if a cop says jump you ask how high. Later you can question his motive. If you disobey a police officer and the law they represent, one shouldn't be surprised of an out come like this. You can always question later and understand the mindset on the officer, whether right or wrong, but you can't if you are dead. I have little sympathy for those that directly and intentionally disobey the Police. What surprises me is the lack of responsibility when a woman takes her child or participates in questionable activity. Then wants to be over dramatic of her situation that she was ultimatly responsible for. RESPONSIBILITY - no one has any these days.

Really?!? I am shocked. If a police tells you do something illegal you should just stop and obey? When the hell did this become a police state. I am so happy everything is video taped now. Why are we blaming victims. If a cop tried to search your car without probable cause, would you let him? No. You respectfully say no. If a cop tried to take your gun you were legally carrying (like in Philadelphia) are you supposed to just give in without an argument. Cops are human, they are no better than anyone on this board.

EDIT

I need to edit this because I do respect the cops and usually back them 100% but lately this has gotten out of control. Maybe it started when I heard about the confiscations during Katrina but abuse of anyone's power needs to be stopped as soon as it gets out of control. As gun owners, we are a major target for abuse. We just saw a gun owner get shot at 1am by cops that didnt identify themselves as cops and didnt like that he came to the door armed.

If there is nothing violent going on, the masses can congregate in as many numbers as they wish. It must have been really rough for the 8 year old and the baby in the stroller. They must have been an imminent threat.

Agreed. However reports of bottles and rocks being thrown at Police have yet to be clairify, proven, or disproven. Could very well be wrong, but I thought citizens had to get permits for protests, or is that only in certain numbers, government offices and such? I'm sure the children had nothing to do with it, however its the parents responsibility to determine this to be a safe activity for their children and stick around. Love how the woman with her child stands there as the dog attacks the man next to her. She seemed to be really concerned for the safety of her child. Probably in shock, but one would think natural reaction would be to get your children to safety.

Was this meant to be facetious? I heard a radio talk show host make a comment the other day about how police have authority over you, and that you should listen to them, etc. I was amazed at that line of thinking, which is similar to what's stated above. The police do not have a general authority over everyone in their jurisdiction. Only if there is a crime being committed or it affects the general welfare of citizens and society. Unfortunately, most LEOs seem to think they do have the authority push people around or intimidate them into compliance. It is up to the citizen to know their rights and and to respond appropriately when a cop uses a veil of authority to force compliance. I'm not saying be rude to an officer who asks but we should all know our rights and stop police from infringing on them.

Really?!? I am shocked. If a police tells you do something illegal you should just stop and obey? When the hell did this become a police state. I am so happy everything is video taped now. Why are we blaming victims. If a cop tried to search your car without probable cause, would you let him? No. You respectfully say no. If a cop tried to take your gun you were legally carrying (like in Philadelphia) are you supposed to just give in without an argument. Cops are human, they are no better than anyone on this board. EDIT I need to edit this because I do respect the cops and usually back them 100% but lately this has gotten out of control. Maybe it started when I heard about the confiscations during Katrina but abuse of anyone's power needs to be stopped as soon as it gets out of control. As gun owners, we are a major target for abuse. We just saw a gun owner get shot at 1am by cops that didnt identify themselves as cops and didnt like that he came to the door armed.

Can hardly see a cop asking you to do illegal things, rob banks, break the laws they are enforcing. I can see them infringing on your rights a bit, but as you said everything is videoed and he has proof he would need to back up for his actions. Sure I would tell a cop he doesnt have the right to search my car, however, im not going to yell and scream and swing my hands in the air because hes infringing on my rights and giving him suspicion of being a threat to him. I would let him take the gun to find out later it was legal for me to have it to begin with - makes him look dumb - the alternative? Is one going to fight a cop and lose his life over the right to carry that would be later proven to be the citizens right to carry anyway? To each their own.

I've been pulled over for not paying attention to my speed. And have given up the information that in fact I have a firearm on my person. They often take steps back in shock and then I give them respect and clairify my rights and permits and the police officer asks to remove my firearm. I have said sure on these 4 occasions in the past 6 years. They remove the mag and place it on my dash and take the firearm with them to run checks. After the police verify everything is in order. The firearm is given back to me and have even had the officers tell me to reinsert the mag into the firearm infornt of them. and after all that they just gave me a warning for doing 82 in a 70 on the highway, which is unheard of in Texas. Respect goes along way even is someone is in the wrong. But to each their own.

@ greatgunstatenj - my point isnt to give up rights. Knowing that cops can do bad things or make wrong judgements, I would error on the side of caution and do as they say. Always time to question their reasoning and method later. but not if you cause a sene and break a law in the process of debating your rights with them in a heated public debate. Then in the process you gave them reason to arrest you by your acctions of being combatant or what have you. Which maybe what they were trying to incite to begin with. Then in the end they come out being right although they started out wrong. I beleive in personal rights and they should be stood up for. However there is a proper and improper way of doing this. Reasonably tends to always outweigh passion or emotion.

at :35, a police dog attacks a BABY STROLLER, WTF

First of all, WTF was a lady doing with her baby at a riot in the first place? Responsible parenting fail. Second, it's not like the police instructed the dog to attack the baby, it's a DOG. Third, how do you know they weren't stashing drugs in the stroller, and the dog caught scent?

Please keep in mind. These are my opionions. Although they may be right for me and my family. They may not be right for you and yours. My opinions aren't to state that yours are wrong. Always to each their own.

I think everyone respects everyone's opinions esp since this board is mature enough to avoid ad hominem attacks. I see where you are coming from, and it is the way I think I would act and most people would act, but it doesnt make it right. It seems abuses of discretion are becoming more of the norm. I understand a cop has a family at home he is worried about but there needs to be accountability.

Take a look back at the Katrina vids of gun confiscation. What the hell could they have done? Shoot back?Of course not. So there needs to be severe repercussions for abridging individual rights.

Take a look back at the Katrina vids of gun confiscation. What the hell could they have done? Shoot back?Of course not. So there needs to be severe repercussions for abridging individual rights.

Completely agree. As it may be a bit extreme, I remember someone stating that if police are to enforce the laws, then they should have somewhat of a lawyers background. In California - While there, Calguns.net recommended that everyone carry their flow chart to legal firearms (ar style rifles) - as most law enforcement didn't even know the laws when it came to ownership of firearms.

When officers act out of accordance with their training pertaining rights and process of situations, they should be required to retrain in the academy of some sort. This to continually serve the community without blazingly stepping on peoples rights. For those that are truly good cops, they are way underpaid. We pay millions to be entertained with sports and liberal arts, but we want to trust tight budgets will serve best in paying law officers for the publics well being. Think how that would serve the country if we cut defense for the sake of saving a couple of bucks and put it towards entertainment. WOW - sorry getting way off topic and too many subjects to cover. Good views everyone.