Shawnmoore81

Workers stand for America

There is a huge rally planned for August 11th in Philly. It's to show the democrats and republicans the American worker still matters and the middle class will fight. It's people from all shapes and sizes. Unions did most of the organizing but it's not just a union event. It's for everyone who is in the middle class and tired of getting the shaft. seems politicians don't work for the people anymore they work for themselves.

http://www.workersstandforamerica.com/

http://wepartypatriots.com/wp/2012/07/16/august-11-workers-stand-for-america-rally-aims-to-make-workers-voices-heard-anew/

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2012/07/13/first-ever-workers-stand-for-america-rally-to-be-held-in-philadelphia/

From the first link:

Americans have the right to a baseline level of health care, unemployment insurance and retirement security, all of which have been badly eroded by the disruption of the social compact that served the nation well for decades. We call on government and private industry together to confront the issues of declining access to health care especially for children, weakening of unemployment coverage, and inadequate pension plans that undermine the ability of working men and women to retire in dignity, even as Social Security and Medicare are under strain and threatened with cutbacks.

So they not only think the healthcare law is a good thing, it seems they want to morph it into the single payer system envisioned by the liberals.

Pass.

From the first link:

So they not only think the healthcare law is a good thing, it seems they want to morph it into the single payer system envisioned by the liberals.

Pass.

Same here.

Right now any party could get union backing. Dema make promises and then bail. That's why this is not a rally to support the dems. Union guys go because we are organized and active. Other guys won't get off their a** and fight for what's theirs.

From that website:

The Right to Full Employment and a Living Wage:

All Americans willing and able to work have the right to safe, gainful employment at a fair and livable wage. We call on the public and private sectors to invest in America’s infrastructure and promote industrial development, maintaining job creation as a top policy priority.

The Right to Full Participation in the Electoral Process:

Recent initiatives to disenfranchise citizens seek to reduce the rolls of eligible voters and empower money instead of people. We believe these actions constitute an assault on our nation’s democracy and history of heroic struggle against voting restrictions based upon property ownership, religion, race and gender and call for reinforcing our fundamental right to vote.

The Right to a Voice at Work:

All workers have the right of freedom of association in the workplace, including the right to collectively bargain with their employer to improve wages, benefits and working conditions.

The Right to a Quality Education:

Education is a fundamental bedrock of our democracy, vital to America’s competitive position in the world and the principal means by which citizens empower themselves to participate in our nation's economic and political systems. Quality, affordable education should be universally available from pre-kindergarten to college level, including an expanded use of apprenticeships and specialty skills training to prepare Americans for the workplace.

The Right to a Secure, Healthy Future:

Americans have the right to a baseline level of health care, unemployment insurance and retirement security, all of which have been badly eroded by the disruption of the social compact that served the nation well for decades. We call on government and private industry together to confront the issues of declining access to health care especially for children, weakening of unemployment coverage, and inadequate pension plans that undermine the ability of working men and women to retire in dignity, even as Social Security and Medicare are under strain and threatened with cutbacks.

Marx would be proud.

Btw our union had a meeting about obamacare and we don't want it so when the mention healthcare that's not what they mean.

Are you sure they didn't reject ObamaCare because they want the REAL DEAL single payer health care like Europe has? Union leadership always seems to be more "progressive" than membership.

None of those "rights" your groups are demanding are true human rights. It would actually be funny if it weren't so pathetic

Here, let me give it a try also and see how it works:

* I demand a right to have sex with Kate Upton at will

* I demand a right to have a gold brick shi**ting unicorn in my back yard.

* I demand a right to the world's supply of fine aged Bourbon.

* I demand a right to re-align the planets to my liking.

* I demand a right to make Adam Sandler actually be funny.

Now, I just have to sit back and wait for Kate to ring my doorbell. Crap, I'd better shower first!

Right now any party could get union backing. Dema make promises and then bail. That's why this is not a rally to support the dems. Union guys go because we are organized and active. Other guys won't get off their a** and fight for what's theirs.

Please show me ANY Republican candidate in this state that has received union endorsements. Seriously. I don't think one exists.

The unions have been staunchly in the Dems' corner for generations now.

My union is in Philly and we have backed many republicans in pa. Not sure aboit names because My union is in Philly and I vote in nj. But I remember hearing it at meetings.

As far as our insurance plan we are happy with what we have so we don't want any government programs messing with it. My trade has the best insurance in the trades because we have so many old timers die of meso, asbestosis and lung cancer. Every contract we invest in our pension and health and welfare rather then go for maximum pay per hour.

The bill of rights shouldn't be taken as a literal bill of rights. More like a symbolic name for what we want. As things go up in price and we are making less the middle class is really feeling the screw. Nobody can deny that either. Personally I'm move then happy with my rate. I couldn't imagine making it on what most non union guys make.

Your never in a mllion years gonna convince me that people earning a wage high enough to support their family and not have to end up on government assistance is a bad thing. It's never gonna happen. As long as new cars are $30k, taxes are high, houses are $200+, gas is $3+ a gallon, car insurance is high, cell phones are high, tuition is high and everything else for that matter. Whether its union made or not or even if it was made in america. I've had this same argument on here before. If you don't like it don't go. I don't care. I'm not ever sure if I'm deff going or not. I figured I'd share the event.

Counties and municipalities (mostly Democrat strongholds such as where I live) that contractually demand that public works, and even private development partnerships, be constructed with only union labor, IS a form of "government assistance"...on the backs of the over-taxed citizens. That's the quid pro quo for all the endorsements and pay to play contributions unions give to Democrat candidates.

Developments around me are all being built nonunion. Our union doesn't even do residential but some unions that do work at a lower rate to secure the work. But and an insulator I won't. Closest I'll get is big high rises in the city.

If you believe that unions are the problem with today's workforce, than politicians have once again pulled the wool over your eyes. Union labor helps set a standard to keep public wages from dropping off a cliff, and our "fat" pensions were funded adequately until Whitman and her predecessors continued to rape the fund despite unions continual outcry. Those double dipping 6 figure public worker jobs are far and few in between with front line public employees. I could only dream to make what these statistical outliers are making and thrown on the front page as if it is a common occurrence.

Following the blame game that govt puts on it's workers is just another shell game to distract you from the real crooks. Obviously my opinion is bias, but I find it insulting when I get snide remarks at work as if Im making 100k+ because of public perception when I am CLEARLY making nowhere near that.

we have so many old timers die of meso, asbestosis and lung cancer. Every contract we invest in our pension and health and welfare rather then go for maximum pay per hour.

thats what you leaders hope happens so they can pocket the uncollected pension money

Pass.

Shawn, you seriously don't think worker salaries affect the prices of things? It's like the chicken or the egg, as salaries go up, as well as other expenses, the cost of the companies products go up. It has been reported that every vehicle that GM sells, $1200 is added on to the cost to cover union costs.

If a company has higher costs due to government regulations, higher taxes or higher salaries, benefits & pension costs, they're not going to just eat it, they will raise their prices. Then you will pay even more for cell phones, cars, houses, etc.