Sign in to follow this  
Eastwood

Aftermarket trigger

I have an RRA 2 stage NM trigger in my space gun. I sent it to John Holliger at White Oak to have it tuned. I love it.

I don't think he tunes them anymore, but it felt pretty good out of the box. Way better than the Bushy match trigger i had in it.

whats the difference between a 2 stg and single stg trigger?

I'll give examples.

A GOOD single stage trigger = Basically no take up, breaks suddenly without warning at about 3lbs, has very little overtravel, and a very short reset.

The stock AR-15 trigger is a single stage, but it has a LOT of creep built into the design, so it's basically apply 6-9lbs of force to drag the trigger through some gravel to make the sear disengage.

A 2-stage trigger has different sear geometry, and there's basically spring loaded pre-travel. So for example with a 4.5lb national match trigger, it'll be you drag it through 3lbs of just spring before you hit sear resistance, then you have to apply another 1.5lbs of pressure to disengage the sear and make the hammer do its thing. They usually are set up to have little to no creep as the mating surfaces at the sear and hammer move over each other.

What about changing the springs to say, JP Springs on a standard trigger? That should bring the pull down significantly, no?

With a prepped sear and the lightest springs, it'll be about 4lbs and not light everything off.

Prepped sear? How would I go about doing that?
you stone the sear face without changing the angle and without going below the lowest groove from the factory machining marks. That in theory keeps you from going past the surface hardening.

I dropped in a Chip McCormick flat trigger unit....Single stage about 3 1/2 pounds. Nothing short of incredible. Had a few shoot it too, and they fell for it. Cost me $176 and got $60 back selling the original trigger.