Adidas22107

Sig P229

Great gun. I own a P229 SAS .40 cal. It had the DAK trigger, which I didn't like. A member here, Bry@n converted it to DA/SA and it's pretty much my favorite pistol.

It's a good size. It says compact but its beefy. I never had a hiccup with it. Has eaten all ammo.

I have a P226 USPSA (SRT etc), MrsWombat has a P228. The Sig P series are typically good firearms and we both like ours a lot. Some people like them, some people don't. Many ranges rent them so should be an easy firearm to find and rent.

Some considerations:

• If go standard DA/SA then some people don't like the trigger transition and prefer a standard trigger pull e.g. Striker fired, DAO, SAO
  • If go DA/SA then practice a lot on the DA/SA transition - don't just shoot SA all the time
  • Try one with and without the Beavertail to see which you prefer. It does seem to make a difference to how your hand sits
  • Some people dislike the decocker & slide release due to their thumb resting on it while shooting and causing issues
  • Not really a south-paw friendly firearm
  • The .22 rimfire conversion works pretty well and you can get modified magazine followers that keep the slide partially back after the last round
  • Try both the E2 grips and the standard grip versions of the Sig. Some people don't like the E2 as find it makes the grip to slim - other people love the E2 grip. Also look at Hogue grips etc.
  • If looking to send your Sig to GrayGuns for work, then go for the cheapest standard Sig P229 without SRT.
  • SRT is different to the Short Trigger. Don't confuse them!

TheWombat

I have a 229 Stainless Elite (swapped in thinner Hogue grips) and a 226 X5 All Around, both 9mm. Shooting targets at 25 yards or where I want to be super accurate, I like the X5 better. However, the 229 seems to me to be a better all purpose gun. The size is a little more manageable, yet still big enough to be able to shoot easily. The 229 is what I keep in my nightstand safe with a light on the rail. Out of my small but growing collection with a few revolvers too, if I had to have one gun it would be the 229.

The Sig P229 in .40S&W was my first handgun, I purchased it in 1995. I researched a number of guns for almost four months while waiting for my FPID and purchase permit. At the time the federal assault weapon ban had just recently been enacted and the .40S&W was a hot new round that was being offered. What I remember at the time was that Sig had designed the P229 around the .40S&W, by basically widening the magazine well of the P228 which actually shares the same grips. By comparison the P229 has the same 12+1 round capacity as the later reengineered full size P226 in .40 because the P226 mag well is not a wide. After 17 years, 13 additional handgun purchases and almost 5000 rounds through my P229, it is still my favorite of all the handguns I own, including two other Sigs, a P228 and a P225.

Hey Folks,

I guess someone has to be the slightly dissenting view...Let me start off by saying that I like Sigs overall and still own a P226 and P230. I also purchased a P228 years ago, when they were first released, and ultimately traded it in on a P229 when they came out. It was my first approved off duty carry gun. Between the Sig quality, the aluminum frame and stainless slide, I figured I had the perfect carry gun. I had Trijicons and a Scott McDougal and Associates extra short stainless trigger installed. First, the grip screws started rusting like crazy, regardless of what protectant I used, be it Birchwood Casey Sheath or Sentry Solutions marine cloth, two of the best wax based protectants at the time. I replaced them with aftermarket stainless steel hex screws. Then, the matte black slide started getting a surface haze of rust. I polished it to close the pores and that seemed to work for the most part. Now mind you I clean my weapons often and religiously, but between my sweat, the humidity and the ocassional rain storm, it was a job to keep the Sig rust free. I probably should have just sent it off for a quality coating at the time to aleviate the issues with rusting.

Then, the extractor broke shooting standard pressure Federal red box. I had it swapped by a Sig Armorer, and he commmented that he had been replacing a lot of them at the time for some unknown reason. Not long after, I fell on my holstered gun in a fight and managed to break a grip panel. This allowed one of the pins held in place by the grip to drift, and render the weapon dead. Thankfully it wasn't needed to defend a life at the time. It went back to the armorer and after a new set of Hogue grips, and drifting the pin back in place, it was up and running again. Then the extractor broke again shooting the Winchester standard pressure ammo I had moved to, blaming the Federal at the time for the first break. Back to the Armorer again. Finally, at least the last straw for me, was the magazines. As the bluing was polishing off of them from carry and use, they started rusing like mad, too.

I'd had enough by that point and ended up taking a loss and trading it in on a Glock 22, even swap with a bunch of mags and ammo from Lawmens. I carried that gun for a much longer period, and with much less drama, if a little less style...

OP didn't state what role the P229 would be used for.

If looking for a carry firearm I would personally select something else, e.g. Glock, M&P etc. If looking for a firearm that's just enjoyable to shoot at the range then the P229 fits the bill.

TheWombat

They like to give you options?

For example, I own the P226R, but I kinda wish I'd waited to find a slightly different model (like the Elite, because I love the grips, let alone the other features I would have liked). My next pistol will be a P220 Dark Elite, because I want the combination of features it offers (SRT, night sights, and thin aluminum grips, specifically). Different triggers, frame options, slide options, sights, grips, etc etc etc mean a gun will likely be exactly what you want.

You might like the E2 grips, or the Scorpions with FDE frames, or the G10 grips of the Extreme, or maybe you want the DAK model. I'd rather have the thin aluminum grips in the original style design, black frame, SRT DA/SA trigger, and night sights...

My Sig 1911 TTT is another thing...I wanted specific grips, night sights, Sig-esque slide design, and slide/frame colors...the number of flavors of 1911s is nearly limitless...Sig had the one I wanted...seems like they are doing things right with the options they offer.

Except for the diamond plate and rainbow models, which I find hard to love....

Bill,

the deal is, Sig change the slide on the p229 platform. They are now using the frame design from the .40 p229 for all calibers. Hence the need to change the slide.

They now have slides with full serrations like the p226. These slides are taller, thinner and have a long extractor. If you have a p229 in 9mm, this matter's to you. If not, there are no mag differences. 9mm p229 w/o full slide serrations, uses the plain p229 mag that are 13 rounders or 15 round mec gars. The full serration slide uses p229-1 mag's that are 15 rounds. The mecgar equivalent are 17 rounders that we can't have. So it's Sig oem mags if you have a full serrated slide in a p229 9mm.

make sense?