Tackleberry 03

Brakes on my Jeep

Mods sorry if this is not the right place to post this. Please delete if need be and sorry once again. I picked up the wife a 2000 XJ very nice jeep. My only problem is the rear brakes are drum and i have no clue what i am doing. So does anyone out there know how to fix them. I am not sure if it needs them the jeep has 111,000 on it. I would like them looked at and someone to tell me what they need and fix them. This is something my wife drives everyday and i want her safe sometimes LOL. I am near deptford mall and i can travel on the weekends if need be.

Thanks

Frank

Drum brakes are easy to worl on but a PITA sometimes to get the drum off. I would suggest having a shop look at them when you get the oil changed. If you were local to me, I would take the drum off and show you but your far away from me.

Lth of

Thanks for the offer. I do most of my own work i have a 03 TJ that i do a lot of work on. But Drums are just a little much for me. LOL

If you already do your own work just get a Haynes manual for your Jeep. They are the best DIY car manuals IMO and for the $25 or so you get a wealth of info for all systems on your vehicle.

One advantage of drums over discs is they only wear when you're using them. The pads on a disc brake system are always wearing as you drive.

Maybe I'm one of the few here who drove cars with all drums. Yes discs have them beat for high performance but for normal driving drums do just fine.

Are the brakes working? If there is no squeaking/chatter and they are actually stopping the car... you are probably fine. Front brakes do 70% of the stopping anyway.

Lift up the back end, take off the wheel, and just grab the drum and physically pull it from the car. Inspect the drum and brake pads for cracks and obvious wear and put the drum/wheel back on. Very simple and easy.

It is good to be cautious when working on something you aren't familiar with.. but you are over thinking this a bit. If you ever need to replace the pads buy a Haynes manual and do it yourself if you have the time. Drums are very simple.

Drums are "simple", yes the concept is simple but working on them without the correct tools, and they are pretty specific tools, is not easy. You'll need at least this http://www.sears.com/craftsman-brake-spring-pliers/p-00945494000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Sure you can get by without it but it ain't easy.

The most overlooked aspect of brake maintenance is flushing your brake fluid. Every two years regardless of mileage. Brake fluid is hygroscopic, in other words, it absorbs water. Brakes get very hot when applied, water boils, changes from a liquid to a gas, a gas in any hydraulic system is not good. This is the cause of more panic braking situation failures then anything else. Just my 2 cents.