woodentoe

Any reason NOT to pick up a rack grade M1 from CMP?

I was kicking around CMP's site and saw that they were stocking rack grade M1 Garand's for $500-$700.

I definitely don't have the scratch to pick up a top graded rifle. Is it worthwhile to give one of these rack grade rifles a good home? or would you just save up and get Correct?

I don't own safe queens. Everything I own is a shooter/beater right now.

I have a Rack Grade SA circa 1943 and love it. I sold my 1955 HRA then was classified as a FG. Other then some minor cosmetics, it was a Collector Grade. My RG SA was completely rebuilt in 1965 as etched in the receiver and has a new barrel on it. Other then looking a little worn, it shoots incredibly well. I still have a 'Woodless Dane' SA which shoots pretty good as well. I threw that in a Ram Line Camo Stock, Amega rail system up front and it is my battle rifle. I have a red dot on it and a Burris 4x-12x scope for it.

But knowing that I hold a SA, that very well served in WWII and Korea is something to have and hold.

Correct grades are no more. I would get a field grade if I could pick it. I went to the store and saw some real DOGS!. You might get a great pick or a beast!. Luck of the draw. A friend of mine ordered 12 and only 2 were keepers.

If you can manage a trip to the north store, that would be the best bet. Most of the rack grades are beat, but you can find some gems if you go the store and pick though them. Field grades are a little safer bet, on my last trip there I got a FG SA that should have been a service grade and a RG M1C that should have been a SG M1C. Trips to the store are priceless.

I would never mail order a rack or field grade. If you order get a service grade and you'll love it, I gurantee. When you see the racks and fields in the store you realize how some are complete dogs that need a rebarrel and rebuild while there is a gem mixed in with them. Back in may I picked up a FG HRA with MW of zero. That is a brand new barrel on a field grade. I dont know why it is a field, but it came home with me.

Usnmars is 100% correct. I have never been disappointed by a SG I bought sight unseen. You will never bring up a RG to SG specs for the extra $100 or so you pay for the SG. I did find a FG at the store witha SA receiver, VAR barrel measuring 2 at both ends, mostly Beretta parts, and all walnut furniture. The only reason I think it was a FG was the finish was more worn than a SG. It's my best shooting Garand and shoots 2" or a bit less with HXP.

SG is the way to go if you want to buy a shooter sight unseen. If you want a shooter and willing to spend more get a Special. You're going to be hard pressed to find basically a new M1 that's been properly assembled for that price.

I got a field grade from the CMP and put a Criterion .308 barrel on it and a new CMP walnut stock set. The Garand Guy put the barrel on and fixed a few problems with it. He also traded all parts that were not period correct with the right ones from his inventory for a very reasonable price, so now I have a 1/45 WW2 Garand that shoots pretty nice.

b49de919.jpg

02423663.jpg

the only reason not to is if you don't have the cash at some point. My brother lives in Mississippi and next time I go down there we will be making a trip to the south store a few hours from him in Alabama and I plan on picking one up. He picked one up earlier this year and lives it. I can't wait to pick out my first garand. I think it'll look pretty good next to my Enfield in the safe or on the bench. The two guns that won WWII...

I am sending out an order for a Field grade Springfield and a Rack grade M1c on Monday so we'll compare the difference when they come in. I am ordering them as rebuild projects and am expecting to rebarrel them and have to do a bunch of work. We'll see how they actually are.

If you can't make a trip and need something picked...you can send a proxy in your stead.....

Cmp stores allow it and it is done....there is a trip upcoming....

Me I'm going myself by end of year I hope

I am heading out when they release the IHC's. I just happen to come across another M1c mount and when those are worth more than a Rack M1c I am gonna get it just for the receiver with the CMP paperwork. Anything better than a usable receiver is a bonus.

When is that.............I need another Garand like I need a whole in the head....BUT having just been up the the Armory Museum....(schweet)...has be jonesing for another.....BUT I want to go hand pick it.

Nice...maybe we can carpool....I have one other..maybe two to come....

I am on an 03/03A3 kick.............. LOL

All remis though.......... One has a 43 barrel...guages 0-0.5.....

I NEED an SA marked one......................................

Nick, count me in for a trip!

Nice three or four and counting..........

We can rent a van ..... !

Nick be prepared, it happens every time I announce a trip. You get a ton of people saying count me in..... then when the day comes to go maybe 1 will tag along. I have given up on announcing the trips and just go for it.

Nick be prepared, it happens every time I announce a trip. You get a ton of people saying count me in..... then when the day comes to go maybe 1 will tag along. I have given up on announcing the trips and just go for it.

LOL...I am sure.... WELL I WILL make a trip prior to the end of the year....I have almost enough green saved to go pick one out....

Keep me in the loop... ;)

Barring a work or family commitment that I am as yet unaware of I can tag along...... :)

I stand corrected in my first post. My best shooting / armory etched rebuild was a FG, cleaning my reloading bench I found the little tag that was on it. My woodless Dane was the Rack Grade. Which after dropping into a crappy RamLine Stock still shoots pretty good. Fulton Armory has a laminate stock in woodland colors unfinished that I plan to buy as soon as my toy-fund will allow.