Wojo

Saltwater & Shotguns - Mossberg Mariner / Rem 870 Marine

Anyone have any experience with either? I am leaning towards the 500 in the JIC (Just in case) version that fits into a nice water tight tube. I would like to see about putting a folding stock on it, but need to find out if it will fit in the tube. The 870 is a few hundred dollars more and didn't have a 'cool tube'. Which I can always make one if need be.

Remington uses a nickel finish, Mossberg uses a Marinecote. Having a coated barrel is nice, but what about the internal components? Shouldn't they also have some sort of coating?

Why...I'm getting ready to start doing some more off shore trips with a buddy and having a scatter gun on board is a good piece of mind. Flare rounds, sharks, shooting 'skeet' off the fan tail, leeches, etc.

Not a fan of pistol grips on a 12 gauge, hence the desire of folding stock option.

I have a 590A1 Marinecote . If you ever want to meet at the BH you can check it out . It is the heavier barrel version ( A1) ... I did GFH Urban Shotgun with it , shot for 4 plus hours , and the barrel did not get hot enough to where it would burn you. It is a bit weighty , but I like it :)

My Brother in law has the mossberg that he takes out on the boat when they go out. It seems to be holding up well. I shot it recently and got a good look at it. Looked great. I didn't notice anything looking cruddy and I cleaned the gun when we were finished shooting.,

My biggest concern is internal parts corrosion. I've had a 500 for around 20 years and have used it in all sorts of weather conditions. It has stood up too some pretty severe use with minimal maintenance. So my confidence level is very high with the 500's. But salt water f's stuff up like nobody's business. Trust me, spending 4 years in the US Coast Guard, I've seen more then my fair share of rust on things that 'were' rust proof. Other then spraying everything inside with come LPS 3 Preservation goop, I'm not sure what to do.

I hope it never gets submerged, but just being on a boat in that environment is of great concern. Hence that sealed tube.

I have my Grandpa's old Mossberg 195KA ..he went fishing at least 3 times a week for like 40 years and I know he usually brought that shotgun aboard. I doubt it took a swim or anything..he use to keep it in a bench that stayed dry inside.He use to go for shark a few times a year , I believe that is the only instance he would have used it on the boat. It looks fine and it is not any special weatherized anything and it functions fine . Relatively cheap gun. As long as you don't drop it in , I'm sure it will be ok , especially if it is the Marinecote. I love the look of that finish , that is why I picked it ;)

I think I am going to move forward with picking up a 590 Mariner. I can tweak and modify as my budget allows. I'll throw it in a silicone sock and stuff it in one of those plastic / pvc bags you see in CTD for long term preservation.

Okay, now time to sell my SKS with all the goodies I got with it.

i have a mossberg 500 i used for duck hunting, it did get very wet most of the time with saltwater, pretty much drenched.. the barrel i have painted with high heat paint, and i just spray the internals with wd40.. the receiver is aluminum so never had any problems their.. still have the same 500 i purchased it about 1981.. it has definitely won the war..

I would like to see about putting a folding stock on it, but need to find out if it will fit in the tube. The 870 is a few hundred dollars more and didn't have a 'cool tube'. Which I can always make one if need be.

Not a fan of pistol grips on a 12 gauge, hence the desire of folding stock option.

Only the cheapo stock pistol grip will fit in the tube. I tried to put different ones on my friends 500, but they wouldn't fit in the tube.

Thanks Ray Ray.

I was going to call Mossberg customer service and ask for 'exact' interior dimensions of the tube. The chances of getting accurate information and experimenting with what folding stock might fit would be time consuming and frustrating even if things went well. So I will trick it out and then figure out how to protect it from the elements.

Being that we have some peeps with tactical scattergun knowledge let me ask this. Will most standard shotgun scabards for backpacks accept pistol grips? They all seem pretty narrow so I am thinking they won't.

Thanks Ray Ray.

I was going to call Mossberg customer service and ask for 'exact' interior dimensions of the tube. The chances of getting accurate information and experimenting with what folding stock might fit would be time consuming and frustrating even if things went well. So I will trick it out and then figure out how to protect it from the elements.

Being that we have some peeps with tactical scattergun knowledge let me ask this. Will most standard shotgun scabards for backpacks accept pistol grips? They all seem pretty narrow so I am thinking they won't.

The tube diameter is 6 inches. And shotgun scabbards are designed for shotguns WITH pistol grips.

Spoke to a former co-worker that performed more then his fair share of combat ops in salt water and suggested I sent it out to Birdsong for a treatment. I heard about this small company during a NRA LE class. Their treatment is exactly what I am looking for.

http://black-t.com/index.htm

Not that anyone really gives a hoot, but picked up a 590A1 Crackwater Edition. Hate the logo, but it will be recoated in a few months once I get it broken in. Thanks for the feedback. Amazing how you think you are going to buy X and then end up with Y.

That's it. Is that a Marine Coat on the barrel or just something with the picture? Any'who, solid black for me. Going to Thunder Mtn to break (attempt) some clays to break it in next week. Then I'll start experimenting with slugs and buck shot patterns.

Ultimate Polish joke, all my life I grew with a kowski last name only to find out at 40 I was adopted. 40 years of jokes down the crapper. I tell everyone now that I am a recovering idiot. I'll never be fully cured, but, I get a little better each day. :icon_e_wink:

Ultimate Polish joke, all my life I grew with a kowski last name only to find out at 40 I was adopted. 40 years of jokes down the crapper. I tell everyone now that I am a recovering idiot. I'll never be fully cured, but, I get a little better each day. :icon_e_wink:

I don't get it? Are you being serious or is this a joke?

Dead serious. I found out I was adopted at 40. My poor kids are German and Irish, and have a Polish last name. I'm 75% Black Irish (dark hair / eyes) and 25% Kraut...O'Shitz if you will. The wife is 100% German.

Keep in mind, all the most notorious serial killers and killers in general were adopted males of European descent. <insert evil laugh>.

Dead serious. I found out I was adopted at 40. My poor kids are German and Irish, and have a Polish last name. I'm 75% Black Irish (dark hair / eyes) and 25% Kraut...O'Shitz if you will. The wife is 100% German.

Now what? Like, have you thought about tracing your ancestry and stuff?

No need. I've spoken to my bio-father and have a real solid relationship with my birth-mom...better then the relationship with the person that raised me.

I'm a story for the Hallmark Channel...but with a Tim Burton / George Carlin / Richard Pryor / Mel Brooks flair.

No need. I've spoken to my bio-father and have a real solid relationship with my birth-mom...better then the relationship with the person that raised me.

I'm a story for the Hallmark Channel...but with a Tim Burton / George Carlin / Richard Pryor / Mel Brooks flair.

Whoa, WHOA