RubberBullets

How do you store your mags?

6 magazines per handgun, two each loaded and in the safe. 6 15/30 Pmags (at the moment) two of each color; black, OD, FDE, and different cartridge in each color - 55gr, 62gr, 77gr.

That's much a much better idea than my mag/bullet weight differentiation plan.

I was gonna use my kids sparkly glitter pen..

Thanks!

I def need to start labeling mags and keeping track of malfunctions that way. I also need to log my shooting, there was a thread here about it a while ago. I always think about it, but whenever i actually go to the range i just start shooting without keeping track..

That's much a much better idea than my mag/bullet weight differentiation plan.

I was gonna use my kids sparkly glitter pen..

Thanks!

I put a piece of transparent tape on my handgun mags and marked them with my initials and a sequence number to keep track of issues as well as identifying them during classes when you cannot pick them up after reloading and have 8 other people or teammates on the line. The best place on the Glock magazines for the tape is on the front near the base plate. In that location the tape does not get damaged with use. I use a silver Sharpie to write on the tape to be able to see the writing on the black magazines.

I def need to start labeling mags and keeping track of malfunctions that way. I also need to log my shooting, there was a thread here about it a while ago. I always think about it, but whenever i actually go to the range i just start shooting without keeping track..

I created a spreadsheet for my ammo purchases with columns to show rounds shot which then equals my inventory. The spreadsheet calculates totals by caliber of inventory. I also have a pivot table for it that lets me keep track of min/max/avg price paid per round including shipping and sales tax. It also lets me track number of rounds through the gun. When I go shooting I tear the flap off the ammo boxes and put in my pocket to record rounds shot by brand/caliber/type/gr when I get home.

Loaded mags over time, a long time lose tension.

Just so you know, all modern materials science point to this being a myth. Modern springs lose "tension" by cycling them through states of compression and relaxation, not by leaving them compressed. They can also lose "tension" by being bent or stretched past their elastic limit/designed tolerances.

Another thing to think about:

If you take the magazine spring out of the magazine, it is longer than the magazine is it not? It takes some force to compress the magazine speing in order to reassemble the magazine. Therefore even with an empty magazine, the spring is under some compression. If you wanted to "relax" the spring fully you would have to completely disassemble your magazines before storage.

Just so you know, all modern materials science point to this being a myth.

Figured it probably didn't matter. Just like brass casing shells not wearing on one's firearm as much as steel is suppose to (which is another debate). Just trying to apply common sense to the lack of scientific experience of mine. However, very very few of us will truly use our firearms in daily use as tools, to really have any real first hand idea of what really wears and from what.

Would love to see a 5 to 10 year test of unloaded mag and loaded mag, and then compare the results of tension 10 years later.

I might try this one.

How come nobody mentioned the best way to store them yet?

Between the mattress and box spring. Keeps them flat, compressed and never a wrinkle where it would mess them up... ;)

Hell, I have mags circa 1976 and they still have plenty of spring... So compressing them works! See!?!

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

Just so you know, all modern materials science point to this being a myth. Modern springs lose "tension" by cycling them through states of compression and relaxation, not by leaving them compressed. They can also lose "tension" by being bent or stretched past their elastic limit/designed tolerances.

Only for ideal springs.

Materials suffer deformation through cyclic forces due to fatigue. They suffer failure through static forces due to creep. Like a compressed spring.

It comes into play even more if there is any corrosion of the material, heating cycles, or diffusive change in the crystalline structure.

I think it is reasonable to expect GOOD springs to survive the effects of creep outside of corrosion, contamination, or heating cycles during what us humans would consider a long time. Lesser springs, adverse conditions, you can't make that promise to me.

I am under the impression that only non-ferrous metals (copper, brass, lead, etc...) suffer from creep.

Under normal temperatures steel will flex and return to its original shape, unless pushed beyond its elastic limit. Static loading, or compression has no effect on a modern ferrous spring that is properly designed to not surpass its elastic limit during its travel inside the magazine body.

In order to reach temps high enough to ruin the spring, the metal or polymer body of the magazine will already be destroyed.

Hell, I have mags circa 1976 and they still have plenty of spring... So compressing them works! See!?!

No worries. Just trying to take the best care of the things I have. But kinda afraid they might get scratched agianst the box spring. I have my mags heavily starched and scotch guarded from the factory so I don't have to worry about wrinkles or them getting wet thank god. :huh:

I am under the impression that creep occurs in most materials, including non-metals, and certainly ferrous metals.

Like I said - quality of the material and exposure conditions are important. I have seen sets of springs with pairs under compression/tension failing and corresponding pairs under no duty serviceable. I have personally had loaded magazines of a type I will not mention fail after about 10 years while the unloaded magazines still work. People have also seen magazines loaded for 40 years that worked just fine. Although I've had issues with every 40+ year-old magazine I've ever owned even though nobody ever put a single round in them (I use a lot of Sten mags :) )

I think I was very clear with my first post. Failure due to keeping a magazine loaded should not be anticipated. However, people have been saying on the internet for the past several years that material science rules it out as a possibility, and that is completely false. It does happen.

I am under the impression that only non-ferrous metals (copper, brass, lead, etc...) suffer from creep.

Under normal temperatures steel will flex and return to its original shape, unless pushed beyond its elastic limit. Static loading, or compression has no effect on a modern ferrous spring that is properly designed to not surpass its elastic limit during its travel inside the magazine body.

In order to reach temps high enough to ruin the spring, the metal or polymer body of the magazine will already be destroyed.

Is this a "Malsua" comment in disguise?

Maybe...? I am unfamiliar with that term Ray. What is a "Malsua"?

Malsua is a member here (Mark) that is extremely knowledgeable in metallurgy, chemistry, physics and the state of Ohio.

Malsua is a member here (Mark) that is extremely knowledgeable in metallurgy, chemistry, physics and the state of Ohio.

I grew up in a holler just south of the back 40, I don't know nuttin bout nuttin. I did spend 28 years in Ohio hunting and trapping, so if you need a coon or opossum clubbed, I'm your guy.