Clintoon Eastwood

Need help with zero-ing my Adams Arms with vortex sparc..(sad) I need your expertise

The issue is not that you will not not get a consistent group under consistent circumstances while resting an MOE on a bug. It is of course possible, but the problem I see now and then is that folks keep changing their body posture and how much pressure they apply on the hand guard (and barrel) while they do that. If you develop a consistent shooting position it works but in this case eliminating every possible variable would help.

The other issue is one of expectation of accuracy. Mono-podding and using a free floated barrel I can usually shoot 2 MOA groups with bulk ammo with a 3.5 MOA dot (this is where using the top of the dot helps). Wedging an unfloated barrel against a hard surface (basically pushing the rifle against the edge of a wall or window) I've seen groups open up to 3 to for times the size I would expect, because I can't maintain the exact same type of pressure from shot to shot from an improvised position. Again, this is a specific type of problem to a specific type of shooting, my point is when you have an unknown problem to solve, eliminate all the variables you can.

I really think in this case, shooting from a bag would eliminate more of the variables than any possible flex would cause. I would set mechanical zero, and start over. It can't be THAT far off from mechanical. The Sparc has a max windage and elevation adjustment of 90 MOA. 1 click = 1 moa / 45 moa = 1 full rotation So, adjust it all the way to one side, then rotate back one full turn (exactly 180 degrees, or count 45 clicks). Do this for both windage and elevation. That SHOULD put you back on paper at least at the short end of EFGA's rifle range.

Was I that lucky to hit paper on the first group at 100yds when I first mounted my dot? I've used a bipod off of a bench and have had no issues when I zeroed and then rezeroed after changing out the mount.

I agree with the others. Hit your group at 25 and move it back. Try not to over adjust because the dot moves differently with each click at different distances. Should be about 1/4" at 25 yards and 1" at 100 for each click.

eliminated 2 just a few minutes ago

First- took off the vertical grip

And I believe this is the reason.. I guess I never really tightened the sparc to the mount, but the mount to the rail was very tight. Oooops newbie mistakes...

More info tomorrow after my range visit

Things like the grip and handguard aren't going to change your accuracy like this though. Why would anyone use those products if they affected the weapon system that bad? My foregrip never comes off and I always rest on a bag.

Did you check mechanical zero?

UPDATE :

got home from a very successful day at the range.

these 3 shot groups is after tightening just the screws on the mount to the bottom of the sparc red dot.

post-4964-0-27739400-1350005450_thumb.jpg

at 25 yards

post-4964-0-02957200-1350005655_thumb.jpg

roughly 22 rounds grouping at 25 yards

awesome results in my opinion

i also used a caldwell bench rest and took off my magpul rvg

so thank you gentlemen for all your help

special thanks to XxLalocuraxX for bringing his boresight, it helped me by letting me know that i was actually around the same area as where my red dot was pointed.

I did NO ADJUSTING AT ALL today, it was actually adjusted good enough for me. i even hit the 50 yard target and the 100 yard target with 3 round shots and landed all 3 at each targets. i will post those pics tomorrow

Glad to hear it! "Useless" boresight for the win!

without the bore sight..

I did NO ADJUSTING AT ALL today, it was actually adjusted good enough for me.

his optic was not tight...

for what its worth I have nothing against bore sights... I just find it relatively easy to walk an optic in without one...

post-4964-0-54498800-1350082288_thumb.jpg

this was the wife's 6 shots at 25 yards. i told her to aim at the center of the top left square portion of the target. pretty good for a lefty :girlwacko:

post-4964-0-05071000-1350082509_thumb.jpg

@ 50 yards

bottom half i aimed at the bottom of the 3 shots

top half aimed at the bullseye 6 shots

post-4964-0-65508900-1350082701_thumb.jpg

@ 100 yards

aimed at the bottom of the target 3 shots

this was all on the bench with a benchrest, im completly happy with the results...... for now.......thinking about a magnifier now....

next time can you please aim at the center of the target so I can figure out what the hell is going on.. lol

Sorry, I don't know how I'm suppose to aim at that distance, so help me please SIR VLADTEPES ....

So if I have it zeroed at 25 yards do I aim lower or higher that the target at 50 yards? And how about 100 yards? School me sensei

Sorry, I don't know how I'm suppose to aim at that distance, so help me please SIR VLADTEPES ....

So if I have it zeroed at 25 yards do I aim lower or higher that the target at 50 yards? And how about 100 yards? School me sensei

the reason you aim at the center of the target is so you can evaluate your groups.... if you are hitting high... hitting low.. its not really that relevant at first.. you are seeking a nice tight group.. and by aiming at the same point every time you will hopefully see that..

I don't know if this will make sense.. but the bullet travels almost in a small ark..

I found this on a quick search I am not sure it is 100% accurate but it is close..

your aiming will only vary slightly with elevation adjustments..

if you are dead on at 25 you will be dead on again later down range... and all the distance in the middle will ideally hit a man sized target..

556ballistics.gif

Was I that lucky to hit paper on the first group at 100yds when I first mounted my dot? I've used a bipod off of a bench and have had no issues when I zeroed and then rezeroed after changing out the mount.

I agree with the others. Hit your group at 25 and move it back. Try not to over adjust because the dot moves differently with each click at different distances. Should be about 1/4" at 25 yards and 1" at 100 for each click.

It varies one dot I needed one click wind age and two elevation. Another, same brand was nearly maxed out on elevation out of the box. Same brand.

556ballistics.gif

Thanks, this is pretty useful graph. This confirmed exactly what happened when I first zero'd the rifle for 25yds. At 100 yds, everything was high. We re-zero'd for 100 yds and will just need to compensate a bit by aiming a bit higher.

I was interested in the flight trajectory at 100+ yds and this graph helps. I need to find a similar graph for a 7.62 x 39.

Thanks, this is pretty useful graph. This confirmed exactly what happened when I first zero'd the rifle for 25yds. At 100 yds, everything was high. We re-zero'd for 100 yds and will just need to compensate a bit by aiming a bit higher.

I was interested in the flight trajectory at 100+ yds and this graph helps. I need to find a similar graph for a 7.62 x 39.

ask and you shall receive...

here is one of the reasons I ditched that caliber...past 200 and it drops like a rock...

good powerful CLOSE round... but out at any distance it leaves a lot to be desired.. my 14in 556 AR makes hits all day at 275ish with just a red dot and magnifier..

4066540765_0b7cb453cb_o.png

ask and you shall receive...

here is one of the reasons I ditched that caliber...past 200 and it drops like a rock...

Thanks, that's quite a bit of drop off. Past 200 yds, I guess it would be like firing a grenade launcher.