Sign in to follow this  
TheDon

Slant Brake for a SGL21 (Arsenal) with 24mmx1.5 Right-hand Threads

You learn something every day. Today, I learned that Saiga barrels do not have standard 14mm left-hand threads.

I destroyed the AK74-style brake that came with my Saiga during the removal process. The standard slant brake that came UPS today will not fit. So I am in a bit of a pickle.

I cannot find any slant brakes with 24mm RH threading and the only adapters I can find are for converting 14-to-24mm, not 24-to-14mm.

What are my options? Do I have to get another Arsenal brake or are there slant brakes available for Saigas?

Thanks.

Your best bet is to change the front sight base and thread the barrel for the new brake.

I get it, for aesthetics. I put the slant brake up against the 24mm threads and it looks like crap. But, I am not a gun smith. Is swapping out a front sight something a novice can do with normal workshop tools? I have never used a threading tool and do not own a drill press. Do you have a link to a video showing the procedure?

I would like to change the muzzle brake to a slant brake, too.

The muzzle brake is very difficult to clean after shooting corrosive ammo especially when its welded on.

When you remove your brake, you are going to be very surprised by how much combustion residue gets around the crown of the barrel and into the threads. If you have been shooting corrosive, you might be in for a bit of a surprise.

It is such a big hunk of metal that it will take decades to corrode through. It might be best to leave well-enough alone. I would be concerned about breaking the threads when you crank the old brake off.

Thanks for the link. I swear I googled for an hour and could not find the right adapter. They have some sexy breaks on that site. Too bad most won't float in NJ. Right now, you got the leading recommendation unless someone can convince me that I can replace the front sight on my own. I just wish there was some way to not have a big 24mm anurism between the sight and the brake.

Thanks for the link. I swear I googled for an hour and could not find the right adapter. They have some sexy breaks on that site. Too bad most won't float in NJ. Right now, you got the leading recommendation unless someone can convince me that I can replace the front sight on my own. I just wish there was some way to not have a big 24mm anurism between the sight and the brake.

Threading the barrel isn't that big of a deal, I threaded my SKS to take an AK brake back in the '90s. I probable still have the die and thread starter somewhere with my tools. The front sight base is easy; you just need a brass punch to punch out the pins, slide on the new sight and reinstall the pins. I'm sure you will need to look for it but you should be able to find the right base.

*edit, after doing some reading it looks like the Saiga is a little different than the Romanian and Chinese AKs I'm familiar with. Apparently the Saiga's front sight is dimpled not pinned. Someone with more knowledge of the Saiga is going to have to properly explain how to do it.