RedRiverII

Clay semi auto

I like nice equipment, no matter what that equipment it. Be it tools or guns. I prefer Snap On and pass up Craftsman.....

I would prefer a nice O/U than a pump. I did start with a pump but graduated up to a shotgun I prefer more. It's always the indian and not the stone.

A trap gun has some nice qualities that aren't on other shotguns. A high rib/stock lets the shooter get a great mount on the gun (I prefer the high stock even on field guns), lessens recoil, and patterns high to allow the shooter to be viewing the target as opposed to covering it up like on a field shotgun. A trap shotgun doesn't have to be super expensive. A Remington 870 or 1100 Trap can both be had for under a grand. Beretta autoloaders can be had for a bit over a grand. There will come a point at which you will get good enough to appreciate the difference. I may or may not be there yet (probably not, but I do like actually being able to see the target), but at least my tool won't be a limiting factor.

If I was to look at a new O/U for clay games where I was going to shoot a lot, I would give a hard look at the Browning 725 Sporting. Enhanced slim design with a lower receiver profile, new inertia trigger, same wedge lockup and full-width hinge pin. I like the version sold in the U.K. better than the one sold in the U.S., only I don't know it's availability here.

If I was to look at a new O/U for clay games where I was going to shoot a lot, I would give a hard look at the Browning 725 Sporting. Enhanced slim design with a lower receiver profile, new inertia trigger, same wedge lockup and full-width hinge pin. I like the version sold in the U.K. better than the one sold in the U.S., only I don't know it's availability here.

What does the UK version have (or not have) that makes it different than the American one?

I just picked up a Mossberg 500 with a 28" barrel for the specific purpose of shooting clays. It cost less than $300, and will serve me just fine in my excursions up to Thunder Mountain. If I decide that I really want to get involved with the sport more in the future, I'll be able to upgrade to something better without feeling I've lost much.

I just picked up a Mossberg 500 with a 28" barrel for the specific purpose of shooting clays. It cost less than $300, and will serve me just fine in my excursions up to Thunder Mountain. If I decide that I really want to get involved with the sport more in the future, I'll be able to upgrade to something better without feeling I've lost much.

You won't have lost much with the 500 at all, and the 500 is a versatile shotgun that can be utilized for other purposes when you collect more. I started out with a pump shotgun forty-seven years ago. It still gets used today. When you shoot enough, you'll find yourself refining your taste in firearms and maybe gravitating towards a better gun, usually one suited for a clays game if that's an avenue you earnestly pursue.