DirtyDigz

Talk me into/out of a folding stock for my 870...

Pro's -

Easier to Stow

Best of both worlds: Folded for CQB, Extended for ranged/aimed shots

Con's -

Hard to find a quality, comfortable folding stock

I personally went from pistol grip, to folding stock, to 12" LOP fixed stock.

Now, I'm wishing I kept my folding stock (MAKO).

On my 500a, the MAKO folding stock would put rug burn and welts in my shoulder after a handful of buckshot.

The pistol grip almost broke my wrist.

The fixed stock is much better on my shoulder... but punches me in the face...

With unlimited funds, on a 12 gauge pump, this would be my first choice.

http://www.themakogroup.com/product_p/agmf500-fksb.htm

$230-ish on Amazon.com.

I know... ridiculous. But I can attest to the high quality, and indestructible build of MAKO products.

Besides, if you're anything like me you'll spend at least that much for 3-4 different stocks before concluding you should've gone with this in the first place.

Thanks for the input DT. Do you recall exactly which Mako stock you had? I've been looking hard at the one reviewed here:

http://www.gunsumerr..._butt_stock.php

Hahaha! I just posted the same one.

The one I owned was this one:

http://www.themakogroup.com/product_p/uas500.htm

Awesome stock. I would bash a door down with the thing.

But, it was missing the recoil-reducing mechanism.

Bought an ati top folder for my Mossberg and it's great. Was like 60 bucks and have put 300 rds threw it without a problem

No experience with the ATI top-folder.

Here's the list of stocks I've gone through:

1. Mossberg Factory Pistol Grip - broken wrists, and bruised palms
  2. Hogue Pistol grip - sprained wrists, sore palms
  3. Mako Folding Stock UA500 - Nice Stock, but bruised/rashed shoulders
  4. BLACKHAWK SpecOps recoil-reducing - HATED this stock. Punches you in the face, and shotgun waggles like a wet noodle on every shot. Also, Very scary having a 12-gauge-powered cigar cutter close to your face/thumbs. Doesn't fit in my small safe, or even range bag.
  5. Hogue 12" LOP fixed - Nice stock, but design causes "punches" to my face. Doesn't fit in my small safe.

All-in-all, I've spent $250+ on stocks I don't like.

This thread is twisting my arm into spending $230 on the folding, collapsible, recoil-reducing MAKO.

Just realized a con - any folder that folds to the left side of the receiver means I can't have a shell carrier on that side of the receiver.

The MAKO UA500 folder I had could be made to fold either side, left or right.

Not sure about this AGMF500-FKSB.

EDIT - Booya:

"System is completely ambidextrous and can be switched to fold left or right."

http://www.themakogroup.com/product_p/agmf500-fksb.htm

I'm telling you dude... awesome product.

Some will call it the best of both worlds, but I call it the worst of both. The stock is uncomfortable to shoot with either folded or unfolded. The pistol grip is even more uncomfortable. Stick with a standard stock.

Your welcome

BLACKHAWK SpecOps recoil-reducing - HATED this stock. Punches you in the face, and shotgun waggles like a wet noodle on every shot. Also, Very scary having a 12-gauge-powered cigar cutter close to your face/thumbs. Doesn't fit in my small safe, or even range bag.

I have one on one of my 870s.

A few questions:

How does it "punch you in the face"? I've never had the problem. Even w. full power slug loads. What kind of cheek weld were you using?

And what is this cigar cutter you speak of? There's nothing sharp anywhere near your face or hands.

One point I will concede: I don't like the lateral play in the stock. While doesn't feel like a "wet noodle", it should lock up a bit tighter. I'm going to explore ways to remedy that. Will post results.

Some will call it the best of both worlds, but I call it the worst of both. The stock is uncomfortable to shoot with either folded or unfolded. The pistol grip is even more uncomfortable. Stick with a standard stock.

Your welcome

I'm with Ray on this. I never found a folding stock that came anywhere near a standard stock as far as comfort and ease of use. Many of the folders, telescoping, collapsing stocks have too little or no drop at the comb making them at least difficult and many times impossible to sight properly. This includes a lot of the big buck ones that cost almost aa much as the shotgun.

You can do it with just a pistol grip but its not easy or as accurate.

I actually watched a forum member here (recessedfilter) hit clays with my speed feed pistol grip stock. Not once, but about 80% of the time. So, although it's not easy, it can be accomplished.

I actually watched a forum member here (recessedfilter) hit clays with my speed feed pistol grip stock. Not once, but about 80% of the time. So, although it's not easy, it can be accomplished.

Agreed. Last summer I hit 5/5 clays with my Hogue pistol grip (Mossy 500 12g)

Just gotta react fast :)

I have one on one of my 870s.

A few questions:

How does it "punch you in the face"? I've never had the problem. Even w. full power slug loads. What kind of cheek weld were you using?

And what is this cigar cutter you speak of? There's nothing sharp anywhere near your face or hands.

One point I will concede: I don't like the lateral play in the stock. While doesn't feel like a "wet noodle", it should lock up a bit tighter. I'm going to explore ways to remedy that. Will post results.

Face slap - youtube it

Wet -Noodle - again, youtube. Find a video in slow-mo.

Cigar Cutter - that thumb-sized hole behind receiver, where your recoil reduction happens.

i JUST bought an 870 Tactical with the express purpose of hooking it up really awesome and customizing it. I had plenty of dough set aside and price was not a problem nor consideration so I could have put whatever I wanted on it-

I knew I would go the Magpul route and that's what I did. The Magpul SGA 870 Stock is AMAZINGLY awesome and not only is it extremely comfortable... It SHOULDERS amazingly, it HOLDS amazingly, and it makes the gun point better than almost any other gun I've held and pointed/swung around a little.

I then added the Magpul buttstock recoil adapter and a LimbSaver recoil pad- Oh man. This is now about the most ideal combat shotgun pump you could have. With the Larry Vickers Blue Force Gear sling it not only points and feels great, it stays glued to my body in a perfect position, Extremely easily adjusted to throw behind my body/across my back/back to the front for hanging-ready position / ready to silently shoulder and lock stock shoot.

I am not much of a folding stock guy ... Perhaps because NJ has raised me to deal with straight stocks and non adjustments. BUT- even though I COULD put whatever I wanted on a pump shotgun like this- Magpul it is.

Just TIFWIW, YMMV.