Kaiser7

Most important war in history? And Why?

I'm a huge history nerd, and being bored, I wanted to hear what you guys think.

When I was in NJROTC I debated with my Senior Chief over which was more influential in modern history, WWI (my position), or his assertion that the US civil war had the biggest impact on world history.

Why do I think WWI? Well, it set the stage for WWII, lead to the rise of America as a superpower, allowed the USSR to form, and the precursors of all modern warfare and weaponry date back to this war. The war started with horse-cavalry, and ended with tanks. Not to mention the middle east was divvied up to it's current borders due to the necessary military downsizing of England and France, leading to the issues we have there today. Not to mention a little known-gun that made an appearance in WWI, the Federov Avtomat.

The only way I could see the civil war being important, on a world scale, is because of it's impact on the Franco Prussian war. Halmut von Moltke adapted the North's strategy of using railroads to quickly move troops and supplies.

Greece defeating the Persians. It saved Democracy in its infancy. If Persia would have succeeded they would have swept across the rest of Europe and the death of democracy. We wouldn't have the Roman Republic and all its advances. If Persia ruled the world I am sure the story of Christ would be dramatically different. This can play out a million ways./

Greece defeating the Persians. It saved Democracy in its infancy. If Persia would have succeeded they would have swept across the rest of Europe and the death of democracy. We wouldn't have the Roman Republic and all its advances. If Persia ruled the world I am sure the story of Christ would be dramatically different. This can play out a million ways./

Good point, I didn't even think back that far. The amazing thing with that war was that even if someone technically "wins" the war, that doesn't mean they'll be able to consolidate and hold onto the victory. Many do not know the Persians did burn Athens to the ground, but were so hurt from thermopolae, particularly due to the naval battle that took place in conjunction, that they could not really annex Greece. Instead they simply burned Athens down so they could "claim revenge" for the Greek-endorsed uprisings that started the war, and then left.

On 11/5/2012 at 3:05 PM, BCeagle said:

A few options depending on how far back you want to look:

Battle of Waterloo (18 June 1815) - If Napoleon had won the map of Europe would have been very different and likely that World War 1 and World War 2 would not have occurred.

Battle of Gravelines (8 August 1588) - aka the Spanish Armada attack on the UK with Queen Elizabeth. If the Spanish had won then the UK wouldn't exist and this could very well have meant the USA, Australia, British Empire and the colonies etc wouldn't have occurred.

Roman History - a few important battles including:

- Romans kicking out Etruscan King Tarquinius and begining their own kingdom

- Battles with Carthage and Hannibal - would have meant a Carthage based empire rather than Roman - and much of our laws/language etc is based on Rome

- Battle of Actium - between Octavian and Mark Anthony - resulting in Octavian becoming the first Roman Emperor and the beginning of the Roman Empire

Greek History- a few important battles including:

- Battle of Marathon - Greeks vs Persia

- Battle of Platea - Greeks vs Persia

- Battle of Gaugamela - Alexander the Great vs Darius III of Persia - resulted in the Macedonian Empire

Some other ones can be found here:

http://listverse.com/2008/07/31/10-most-decisive-ancient-battles/

In thinking about this I look back in time to find the earliest most significant war (or battle) that is known that if ended differently would have significantly changed the future of the Western world. I am focusing on the West as much of the East was isolated from the West in earlier times.

Some of the other wars eg Mongol hoards had limited long term impact on the West in my view.

TheWombat

This is really an impoosible question to answer. The farther back in time the more important the battle is to current history. To demonstrate my point think back 2000 years to the roman empire. There were many minor that propbably are not even remembered by history. You do not even have to change the out come of those battles to completely rewrite history. Suppose just one more soldier died durring that battle. That would mean a potential 6.6x10^240 people who exsisted that would never have exsisted at a minimum. Of course not only would those people not exsist but But the people they would have had kids with would have kides with others. That one extra soldier being killed means that by the time history got to this point not a single person alive would still exsist. If the people are all different then what happens would also be different.

Well, though I set out doing a thought experiment, to determine modern history, You guys have brought up another answer--why history is important to know. Most of the people I grew up with thought it was a waste of time, but everything going on in the world today is the result of the past, and that's why it's important to know.

Getting specific, I guess we could say from the Civil War? Trying to think of more modern stuff.

WW I and WW II. Besides shaping the modern worlds boundaries, technology took major strides. Aside from industrial advancements, the idea of emergency medicine was born when they discovered a life could be saved by treating on the field instead of scooping up bodies after things quieted down and trying then. I believe that dates to WW I.

WW I and WW II. Besides shaping the modern worlds boundaries, technology took major strides. Aside from industrial advancements, the idea of emergency medicine was born when they discovered a life could be saved by treating on the field instead of scooping up bodies after things quieted down and trying then. I believe that dates to WW I.

Blood transfusions also.

http://www.tmreviews.com/article/S0887-7963(09)00033-9/abstract

I am not a learned guy, that said, Civil War leads to USA to having a modern standing army. Tactics, and a willingness for battle from a relatively new nation. Industrialization and means of production. I read somewhere years ago, you'll know better than me, that most people thought the Civil War or War of the States would quickly resolve itself. People from Washington rode in surreys to view the first battle were horrified when they witnessed the savagery of the opposing forces. I'm thinking Campbell but I may be wrong, I remember a scene from one of the battles, which I will recall at a later date marching toward the CSA forces through an open field toward an entrenched and fortified enemy and pity from the victor. Killing en masse and wondering when the NSA would surrender. In any event, my thoughts are that the War bought in to being a modern Army. Add 50 years of tethered angst and let it loose on foreign soil is arguably reason for America becoming a Super Power or at the very least an equal amongst all the World Powers.

On a personal level any War in which you have a vested interest is the most important.

Thank you for posting, and to all that replied.

I will put my eggs into the WW2 basket. Not only did it set the stage for technology and production, but it also prevented one of the most evil leaders of all time from obtaining his desire for world domination. Think about how different things would be now if the bad guys won that war. :o

I have to go with the Greek Persian Wars, If the Greeks lost Western Civilization would not have existed. No rights of the individual, no modern science, no democracy, probably no Christianityas we know it. Rome would probably never have been a great power. Eastern rather then Western philosophy would be the dominant world view.

Eastern culture has no problem with slavery. If there had been a United States it would have been a non-issue. As would the Revolutionary War since there was no concept of freedom in Persian culture. That war laid the foundation of our world 2500 years ago. If those 300 Spartans and another few 1000 other Greeks had not made that stand and allowed Athens time to mobilize we would have a very different world.

TC