WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

M1 Garand via CMP

I'm really interested in purchasing an M1 Garand from the CMP (http://www.odcmp.com/Sales/m1garand.htm)

Has anyone had any experience doing so in NJ? I'm also wondering what kind of condition a "rack" grade M1 Garand would be in?

I'm looking for a decent shooter for target practice at the range. Doesn't have to be a museum piece.

Thanks, D

I bought a Springfield service grade four years ago and got it delivered to my door! But that was before NJ told the CMP they needed to go through an FFL here in the republik.

It came with a new stock, all matching hardware otherwise (I believe). Great shooter! You will not be disappointed. Gotta love that PING!

I think the Service Grades are your best bang for the buck when buying sight unseen through the mail. There are a couple of hoops to jump through, such as proving shooting activity and joining an affiliated club, but it's worth it. Get an M1 while the CMP still has them; great value and the CMP is a top-notch organization.

As far as joining an affiliated club, the easiest to join is the Garand Collector's Association. You can join online and they send you a magazine once in a while. Maybe quarterly? I forget. You check a little box to have them send your membership information to the CMP to fill that requirement.

Don't forget to buy a case of the HXP ammo to go with it. The M1 was designed to fire a specific loading of 30-06, and not just anything off the shelf.

The only NJ hurdle is the transfer has to go through a dealer.

Sorry for the thread hijack, but don't think I need to start a new thread. I just signed up for the GCA, mentioned above. I reviewed the CMP's requirements, and they require live-fire training, or competition. Is NJ hunters Ed, or GFH's First Step Pistol sufficient for this? Thanks in advance.