zoid

Any point in getting a long range rifle if I can only shoot 200 yds max?

savage bolt in a .270 with accutrigger :no:

+1 for that Recommendation. IMO, Savage's quality as of late trumps most of the new Remington 700's in the same price point. Accu-trigger is an amazing thing in itself. The .270 Caliber is very, very flat shooting and the recoil is similar to a 30-06 but not as bad. But if you're looking for something that has little to no recoil and can still reach out there and touch something, I'd consider a 22-250. As you're probably aware, 223 ammo is very hard to come by these days. I was originally going to go with that caliber for my Savage target/varmint rifle, until the shooting at Sandy Hook happened. Popular, widely available calibers are great until something like we're seeing happens, then everybody panics and the supply is depleted. You can find 22-250 much easier now-a-day's than 223. Plus 22-250 shoots flatter and has more energy. Just food for thought.

Just do it. WHEN you do, and WHEN you find a place that you can reach out 500+ yards, it's going to be all you want to do.

But a good thing about you holding off on it now for money reasons, is that maybe you can get a 22lr bolt action now, and really get your basics covered. The best way to improve (for me anyway) is getting back to basics with something light and easy, i.e. 22lr. muscle memory, breathing, keeping eyes open, etc...

That being said, you need a long range rifle, yes. it's a law of nature. Hell, my next long gun will (hopefully) be in .338 lapua :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted:

+1 For this gentleman as well. Nothing, IMO, is as useful as practicing with a good ole 22lr. Fundamentals are key to developing proper rifle marksmanship, or any type of marksmanship for that matter.

I shot at Ft. Dix for the first time and it was a very nice range. Now that I have a

place to use rifles I started considering getting more into long guns. I was thinking

about getting an R700, Ruger Scout, or Mossberg MVP. But is there really any

point if all I'm shooting is 200 yards? Keep in mind I currently have an AR15 that

just has iron sights on it right now (will probably ge an Aimpoint Pro). I think that

is just find for 200 yard work. Do I really need a dedicated rifle platform?

Buy it and the range will come....

You never know who your gonna meet thats got access too 600 and 1K yd lanes..... :D

Why not a good-old Mosin Nagant?

Good suggestion.

I picked up a PU sniper, which has a 3.5x scope. If you take the traditional view of scopes verses distance, should be good for 350 yards.

Ammo is also cheaper, if you go into the 440 round cans. Just need to clean good after shooting.

think of it as a multi tool. you can nail suff after practice at 200, then if need be you still have the ability to kick butt further on. its like this nut i used to hang out with in colorado said about his 50 cal when i asked him if it was overkill. its a prairie dog gun and i got a lot of property

Get an M1a or don't get anything ;-)...Seriously, best battle rifle ever made - I was hitting center mass 99% of time at 200 Yards with irons sights (and I only started shooting last June (after a 30 year vacation from the sport))...Going for 300 yards very soon...Funny thing, even though it shoots a kick-ass .308 it is not considered an assault weopon...Must be cause it is so sleek, beautifull, traditional looking, :fan::keeporder: semi...I love my M1a-Scout :maninlove: . :fans:

Get an M1a or don't get anything ;-)...Seriously, best battle rifle ever made - I was hitting center mass 99% of time at 200 Yards with irons sights (and I only started shooting last June (after a 30 year vacation from the sport))...Going for 300 yards very soon...Funny thing, even though it shoots a kick-ass .308 it is not considered an assault weopon...Must be cause it is so sleek, beautifull, traditional looking, :fan::keeporder: semi...I love my M1a-Scout :maninlove: . :fans:

whats ammo running you for that monster

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

whats ammo running you for that monster

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Everything has gone up - but if I recall correctly since I grabed a bunch before the panic, maybee .75 to 1.25 a round depending on standard vs match etc....Worth every penny blowing a $100 on a hundred rounds ot the range - cost you that much to go on a date :-). Dates can be had any time; shooting an M1a/M14 PRICELESS!