It's my first post so I hope im posting this in the right place. I went to police station to change my address on my FID since moving but staying inside the same town(South Plainfield). I got my original card in 2002 and when I got there I was informed that it has been more then 5 years and I basically had to redo the whole process as if it was my first time applying (fingerprints, references etc...) fill out the change of address form as well as the original form for applying. So I asked the lady if this has to be done every 5years and she basically said yes but its not like we come to find you and make you do it. So my questions is 1)I thought NJFID card never expires unless your address changes and just need the one form to fill out again. 2) Is this 5 year unofficial "renewal"a state thing or a town by town thing or is my town just ridiculous?

Thanks

It's your town making up laws. Lots of towns do the same.

Your FID never expires .If you lived in the same house and never moved, you could buy rifles til the cows come home.

It is only if you want a new FID or some pistol permits that they get you (in your town and others like it).

If you have a criminal record, it will be picked up at the point of sale NICS check. Does anyone really think your fingerprints changed?

Im pretty sure its your fingerprints that need to be done every 5 years. Or something along those lines I know people with a original fid card from the 90s buying away. I gotta hunt down my 2c book and look

Both of my parents have their original cards from '84 and still presently use them to purchase, my moms is laminated and looks the exact same as mine issued in 2012, and my dads was never laminated, and looks like it went through a washing machine and but it's still good to go!

There is no requirement to be fingerprinted, except for your initial application. The problem is that there is no restriction against a CLEO requiring them each & every time you apply for a P2P or an FPID change of address, etc. The SP-212A (non-criminal background chaeck - $18 to the NJSP/SBI) is an option, in leiu of fingerprinting, but again the CLEO is not required to use it. You are pretty much at the mercy of the CLEO when it comes to fingerprints. This is something that needs to be changed legislatively.

Unfortunately the process for a change of address is the same as the initial application (again, prints at the discretion of the CLEO) and the same form is used (STS-033), just check the appropriate box at the top of the form. There used to be a form specifically for change of address / card replacement. It was form STS-003 and the main (only?) difference between it and the STS-033 is that it does not require listing any references. I believe it is still out there on the net (NJSP website), but I don't know if it is still valid and will be accepted by your local PD.

Sorry for the bad news.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

Sounds like they are treating you as if you moved in from another town and have to change your address on the FPID. Which you do to have it match your DL. They could be nice about it and just do it, but it seems like they are being douchebags about it from what you say--