henrym

686 trigger problems

New 686 with a trigger problem.

When firing in double action the trigger locks up, until the trigger is released and re-squeezed. The number of times the trigger needs to be released is anywhere between 1 and 4 times. It happens on different cylinders. Cocking the hammer into single action also alleviates the issue.

Upon closer inspection, it looks like the cylinder stop is not disengaging all the way and is hanging up on the trailing edge of the cylinder stop notch, resulting is slight nicks in the edge of the cylinder stop notch.

With the cylinder is open and the turned their is a little "wag" in the ejector rod.

Their is no movement of the cylinder under lockup, but it appears that if slight rearward pressure is placed on the cylinder it unbinds.

Any ideas on possible causes/fixes?

Henry, My 327 was doing the same thing for a bit, although - it was getting a ton of work done, and new parts and whatnot, but it wound up being the geomotry of the trigger not giving enough slack for the cylinder latch to come down all the way. ( or something like that, gunsmith explained it to me , and fixed it )

When he took it back, the orginal plan was to replace the cylinder stop latch, but wound up replacing the trigger for reasons above.

again, just my personal experience, try the smith and wesson boards maybe, lots of savvy wheelgun gurus over there.

dont know why yours, all factory, is giving you issues.

Is it MIM parts or hammer mounted firing pin?

good luck with it.