Sign in to follow this  
woodentoe

+1 Jon for teaching a first time hunter the ropes.

I wanted to post a big public thank you to one of our moderators, Jon. He took time out of his busy life to meet with me a month or so ago and discuss how to get started hunting deer here in NJ. We talked about cold weather gear and firearms, tactics and methods, ethics and politics. It was indispensable for me as it solidified my conviction that hunting to supplement my diet is the right thing to do for me and my family.

I purchased my first shotgun (870 3" 12 ga), and a good buck knife. And, on Saturday, Jon invited me to join him in the woods for my first ever hunt. I'm definitely clumsy and don't know what I'm doing. But, I thoroughly enjoyed the time outdoors, and I look forward to doing it again. In fact, I think I may go out to Assunpink next Saturday at Zero Dark Thirty to try my hand at some tree rats and cottontails.

Even though we didn't see a deer all day. To quote Jon, "Even a bad day in the woods beats a great day at the office."

Thanks, brother.

-Jim

:good:

You're good to go... watch some youtube gutting vids and get your ass back out there and find a deer.

I've watched my share. I'd live to be able to watch someone do it or help someone do it before I have to on my own in the woods.

No doubt, if I do get a shot I will be calling you so I have someone to hold my girly hand....lol

I've watched my share. I'd live to be able to watch someone do it or help someone do it before I have to on my own in the woods. No doubt, if I do get a shot I will be calling you so I have someone to hold my girly hand....lol

Congrats to you for getting out this year. And to Jon for helping you.

When I was 20, I was hunting with my brother and uncle in MD on their shotgun opener for deer. My uncle was down in a swamp that morning and we heard him shoot around 8AM. My brother and I mosey over there to see what the hollering was about and my uncle had scored on a nice grain-fed four-pointer. After the obligatory congratulations, the three of us stood there looking down at the deer, my brother and I hoping to learn what to do next. My uncle lit his pipe, sat on a nearby stump and proclaimed, "Well, what are you awaiting for, let's get going and gut this deer!" Only it was me with my younger brother helping who did the work. That's how I learned. It really isn't that hard. Just think logically as to what needs to be removed. Butchering is what takes a bit of practice.

First time gutting a deer is not for the faint of heart. Warm Blood and guts is something I can never get used to. With my bare hands and an extremely sharp knife and I was at it for a couple of hours.

The shooting of a LIVE target actually made me pause for a quick second too. Not to be dramatic or anything but aiming your rifle at a living thing and not a peice of paper was a huge step up for me.

Ever since then, I'm a hunter for LIFE. hope to hunt with you gentlemen someday.

First time gutting a deer is not for the faint of heart. Warm Blood and guts is something I can never get used to. With my bare hands and an extremely sharp knife and I was at it for a couple of hours. In time you'll get it down to 10 minutes and have blood only as far as your wrists.

The shooting of a LIVE target actually made me pause for a quick second too. Not to be dramatic or anything but aiming your rifle at a living thing and not a peice of paper was a huge step up for me. Depends on how you were raised. It's a McDonalds hamberger

Ever since then, I'm a hunter for LIFE. hope to hunt with you gentlemen someday. Ethical hunting and woodsmanship is what it's about. For instance this time of year, though legal I don't shoot does because if it was an early pregnancy the fawns are being formed already. Not good.

@old school, the first day I went of the season I had a doe in my sights about 10 yards away. But when I looked around I saw 2-3 bambies following her and I just couldn't pull the trigger.

Btw, the couple of hours I was referring to gutting it, skinning it and chopping it up to pieces, grinding it up and wrapping it up in freezer paper

I hope you pay it forward in the future. I'm gonna need help going out my first time too lol. I need to get my license first. I went this year to sign up for the course but it was full. Anyone know when is a good time to sign up for the course?

Courses begin again in March. I'd suggest keeping an eye on the hunter ed website and booking the earliest class you can get into. http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/hunted.htm

I'm going to try and get back into hunting. Used to years ago (like when I was 12, I'm 33 now) with my dad. I'd like to get into it again and hopefully this year's upcoming season my younger half-brothers, dad and I can all get out. I didn't have any friends that hunted growing up so I sort of just grew out of it. I'm slowly returning back to my roots (grew up in the pine barrens).

I remember the first deer I shot, which actually was a big 150 lb. 12 pointer, my dad made me drink the blood as "initiation". It was nasty I remember that. But the picture he has of he and I kneeling next to that buck is awesome.

I want to go pheasant and turkey hunting. I used to love that!

@old school, the first day I went of the season I had a doe in my sights about 10 yards away. But when I looked around I saw 2-3 bambies following her and I just couldn't pull the trigger. That's the kind of stuff I like to hear. Thank you! I see guys shoot deer the size of police dogs...NG

Btw, the couple of hours I was referring to gutting it, skinning it and chopping it up to pieces, grinding it up and wrapping it up in freezer paper Wow ! Thanks again, You had me scared,,,