n4p226r

Brakes that will accept suppressor

NEVER MIND SEEMS I WAS MISTAKEN

The brakes themselves don't accept supressors (wouldn't do much good to try to supress sound after it's already passed through a brake), they have an adapter that threads on, e.g. the Fast-Attach, for mouting either a brake OR a hider OR a supressor. THIS IS NOT THE CASE FOR ALL ATTACHMENT METHODS, APPARENTLY

If our outstanding politicians wrote the law as specifically "no threaded barrels" (which I think it is the case) it would seem that you could weld the adapter piece and then be GTG for using a brake (flash hiders still banned by name?) or using other devices if you took that gun to some place in America.

IANAL

The brakes themselves don't accept supressors (wouldn't do much good to try to supress sound after it's already passed through a brake), they have an adapter that threads on, e.g. the Fast-Attach, for mouting either a brake OR a hider OR a supressor.

:facepalm: There are plenty of brakes out there that will directly accept supressors, Surefire mb556k, Battlecomp 2.0, PWS sm556, most all of the AAC brakes, not to mention the tons of direct mount flash hiders as well.

Lots of brakes, like the surefire, are designed to have a supressor mounted on them. They aren't flash supressors or threaded to accept a flash supressor so they are legal right?

Getting back to the OP's question: Real gray area. The brake must be permanently affixed to the barrel - thus it becomes part of the barrel. If it, in turn, is threaded, you are back to a "threadede barrel" thus a disqualifying feature on an AR (assuming pistol grip.)

I say gray, because the evil features list is in the AC and not the statutes. It is intended to define "substantially identical". The language use in the AC say that a barrel threaded to accept a flash suppressor is the evil feature. If there are no flash suppressors made that fit the external thread used on brakes to accept a sound suppressor, you might technically be in the clear. That's an awful fine distinction to be betting your freedom on. I think it simply becomes: Threaded barrel = evil feature - regardless of what it is intended to accept.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

good point. i hadnt thought that to permanently fix it, it would then have threads and turn into a threaded barrel again. i have no desire to test the waters either. i just felt like having a useless conversation on our insane laws. id even say it was arguable that the AC stuff even matters.

id agree that something like the AAC with visible threads may be worse than something like the surefire that i cant tell if it's threaded. something like a BC2.0 also seems like it would be legit

Getting back to the OP's question: Real gray area. The brake must be permanently affixed to the barrel - thus it becomes part of the barrel. If it, in turn, is threaded, you are back to a "threadede barrel" thus a disqualifying feature on an AR (assuming pistol grip.)

I agree 100%

so would you say the surefire brake i linked is legal? not threaded, but can support a surefire sound suppressor

so would you say the surefire brake i linked is legal? not threaded, but can support a surefire sound suppressor

IMO if the finished barrel including the brake has threading that is accessible it is illegal.. if it does not then it is legal.. the writing is pretty literal..

IMO if the finished barrel including the brake has threading that is accessible it is illegal.. if it does not then it is legal.. the writing is pretty literal..

it's very literal..so for example an AAC brake, while threaded, is NOT threaded to "Accept a Flash-hider"