Sign in to follow this  
plode

Pistol left to me in grandfathers will, question.

I had a Glock 19 left to me by my grandfather when he passed away in 2005. Since 2005, the pistol has been in the apartment they were living in, in a safe. We didn't have the combination until my aunt just came across it while moving my grandmother. We just moved her to an assisted living unit due to some health issues, and we decided it was time for the gun to come home with us.

Will I need a copy of the will when I submit the SP-650, the Voluntary Form of Firearms Registration?

I don't have a copy of that, I believe my grandmother has it, and that might be tough to locate since she's dealing with some serious memory loss issues.

I can apply for a P2P if necessary, but I'm just a bit anxious to begin using the gun at the range.

My grandfather left me a glock 36 in his will.

All I did was use the register form and checked next of kin.

No permit was used.

When I went in for my permits months later, the pd asked me about it and just wanted to make sure it was next of kin.

No problems at all. That was my only experience.

Weird thing was, when I asked several state police about he handgun and my grandfather leaving it to me, they said I didnt have to register since NJ was a voluntary register state?

Any input on that?

I had a Glock 19 left to me by my grandfather when he passed away in 2005. Since 2005, the pistol has been in the apartment they were living in, in a safe. We didn't have the combination until my aunt just came across it while moving my grandmother. We just moved her to an assisted living unit due to some health issues, and we decided it was time for the gun to come home with us.

Will I need a copy of the will when I submit the SP-650, the Voluntary Form of Firearms Registration?

I don't have a copy of that, I believe my grandmother has it, and that might be tough to locate since she's dealing with some serious memory loss issues.

I can apply for a P2P if necessary, but I'm just a bit anxious to begin using the gun at the range.

Why would you voluntarily register a firearm?

IIRC, IANAL, if a gun is willed to you, you don't need a pistol permit to take possession of it. As long as the will says this handgun will pass on to my grandson, upon his death you became the legal owner of said handgun.

Now you say the will is lost and it has been 5+ years since your grandfather died, that is tricky, perhaps contact his lawyer and hope he has a copy of the will on file? But like I said if memory serves correctly, you are the legal owner of that handgun and I would not be anxious going to the range.

Unless it was specifically willed to you per your grandfathers will, your Grandma owns a gun. You would need an FID and P2P to buy it from her.

If it was willed to you, take your Glock home and put it in a safe location. Keep it away from the kids, a quick access safe is best. Get an FID and buy lots of ammo.

I'm not clear on what is being said : pk90 said "do nothing else" since the glock was now plode's but, 302w said ,"get a FID"and "buy ... ammo".Does the fact that the pistol was left to plode mean he can take it to the range and purchase ammo without doing more or must he get a purchaser's card or anything else before he can either purchase ammo or take it to shoot at a range. Also ,if he need not get a FID in order to take it to a range or buy ammo must he present proof that he is now the owner,that is demonstrate that the pistol was left to him as indicated before ammo will be sold to him for it ? Basically,does being left the firearm legally substitute for a purchase by way of a FPID or does it mearly mean the gun is his but,the ancillary aspects :the right to purchase ammo and range use ,do not attach ?

I'm not clear on what is being said : pk90 said "do nothing else" since the glock was now plode's but, 302w said ,"get a FID"and "buy ... ammo".Does the fact that the pistol was left to plode mean he can take it to the range and purchase ammo without doing more or must he get a purchaser's card or anything else before he can either purchase ammo or take it to shoot at a range. Also ,if he need not get a FID in order to take it to a range or buy ammo must he present proof that he is now the owner,that is demonstrate that the pistol was left to him as indicated before ammo will be sold to him for it ? Basically,does being left the firearm legally substitute for a purchase by way of a FPID or does it mearly mean the gun is his but,the ancillary aspects :the right to purchase ammo and range use ,do not attach ?

PK90 answered the question.

He is subject to the same transportation requirements to and from range with or without a FPID.

He needs a FPID to purchase ammo in NJ.

As far as ownership is involved the Surrogate's Office in the county he lived in would have a copy of his will. Now if you're going for that get a copy of the receipt and PPP your Grandfather used. You can complicate this as much as you want to.

I own handguns that I purchased when I lived out of state where a firearm sale between inviduals is likke buying a hammer or a box of nails. The fact that you have it and no one else is claiming its theirs is proof that you own it.

Keep the gun in a safe place, make sure you have your FID card when you are traveling with it, and you are fine.

I am not kidding when my Leo friends thought I was crazy for registering the g36.

I do remember most of them saying I do need a FID card though, if not, then would of been a problem if something took place with the gun. (I am not sure about this part)

Also, now that i am thinking this more and more, some idiot at the PD told me I would need a permit for it to obrtain legal possession..And guess what, he was wrong!

I asked the chief, and he said I was fine.

what if your dad and father in law were to give you a polish 9mm radom and a german .22 brought back from the war?

How? If it were left to you in a will, keep it. If they physically gave it to you, you need to get a P2P and fill it out.

As for someone asking about what I said, I suggested getting the FID so you can buy ammo, and it is a good thing to have.