Contacting AG office

I heard from a reputable gun store that under state regs, you should have your FID within 30 days, if not I can file a complaint with the AG. Can anyone confirm this or have a link to a page I can print out for my reference?

Thanks

Forget about it. That was the law as written, but our liberal court system says that a town can take longer if it's in the interest of public safety, effectively superseding the 30 day timeline. A town will always use that as its excuse.

I heard from a reputable gun store that under state regs, you should have your FID within 30 days, if not I can file a complaint with the AG. Can anyone confirm this or have a link to a page I can print out for my reference?

Thanks

Forget about it. That was the law as written, but our liberal court system says that a town can take longer if it's in the interest of public safety, effectively superseding the 30 day timeline. A town will always use that as its excuse.

Or they'll do what the State Police did to me, and say the FBI hasn't come back with the prints yet, forget to send the paperwork to Trenton, etc. I had to threaten to file a complaint with the AG(as did my friend) after 9 months of waiting. I had my permit within the week after I said I was going to do that.

You'll be lucky if you see your FID before March.

I spoke with the local PD (Egg Harbor TWP) and they said the detectives got the paperwork on Nov 13th and should take two weeks after that. I replied "that was over a month ago". She got snooty and said "well, it could take 4 months". Its been 48 days today.

I didn't contact them yet.

I called the PD back and asked to talk to the detective, she (the detective) said everything looks good but may still take a few weeks.

Go ahead. Call the cops on the cops.

LOL

Just sit back and wait. Sorry buddy.

From what I've read hear, it has worked in the past.

Thanks

Confirmed. They are REQUIRED to issue (or deny if the case may be) it to you within 30 days.

Here you go.

http://law.onecle.com/new-jersey/2c-the-new-jersey-code-of-criminal-justice/58-3.html

2C:58-3. f.

Granting of permit or identification card; fee; term; renewal; revocation. The application for the permit to purchase a handgun together with a fee of $2, or the application for the firearms purchaser identification card together with a fee of $5, shall be delivered or forwarded to the licensing authority who shall investigate the same and, unless good cause for the denial thereof appears, shall grant the permit or the identification card, or both, if application has been made therefor, within 30 days from the date of receipt of the application for residents of this State and within 45 days for nonresident applicants.

Confirmed. They are REQUIRED to issue (or deny if the case may be) it to you within 30 days.

Here you go.

http://law.onecle.co...stice/58-3.html

2C:58-3. f.

THANK YOU!!!

This should be in everybody's tool box when they apply for a FID or PP and highlighted and handed over when we hand over the application. The last thing I want to do is make life difficult for the local PD. But one of the first things I want to TRY and do is change the laws in this state. Maybe this will help in some way especially if they are flooded with applications that are redundant because there is a background check is done at the time of sale anyway. PLUS every other state in the Union does it that way.

BTW, how long has this been in affect, the local PD''s doing all this stuff?? Has it deterred crime in any way?

It has nothing to do with deterring crime.

and everything to do with deterring ownership?

I have read multiple times that the quoted law was ruled against by a judge allowing PD to take their own time in the "interest of public safety".

Exactly what "lunker" said above.

Not sure if every PD is aware of it. You could always let them know that you are going to follow up with AG - nicely. Worst case scenario, they do what they do best - delay. Best case scenario, they will magically find the missing paper work and what not and get your the paper.

I have read multiple times that the quoted law was ruled against by a judge allowing PD to take their own time in the "interest of public safety".

Exactly what "lunker" said above.

I was under the impression that a judge could only overturn a law based on grounds of unconstitutionality. This is not the case. That would be legislating from the bench, which is not one of their lawful authorities. Then again, the issue is with them not following a law to begin with, so why would they follow others..

I was under the impression that a judge could only overturn a law based on grounds of unconstitutionality. This is not the case. That would be legislating from the bench, which is not one of their lawful authorities. Then again, the issue is with them not following a law to begin with, so why would they follow others..

I am not a lawyer, but let me try to put it differently. What I read is that judge rules that the PD was within law to go beyond 30 day limit when the PD was waiting for other information to come in in the interest of "public safety".

So, one may stand chance if they can prove that PD has everything they need and delaying the app for the sake of delaying. I think it would be hard to argue if PD is genuinely waiting for the info to come in from other agencies / parties.

I am not a lawyer, but let me try to put it differently. What I read is that judge rules that the PD was within law to go beyond 30 day limit when the PD was waiting for other information to come in in the interest of "public safety".

So, one may stand chance if they can prove that PD has everything they need and delaying the app for the sake of delaying. I think it would be hard to argue if PD is genuinely waiting for the info to come in from other agencies / parties.

I'm not a lawyer either but I'm pretty sure that isn't what "within 30 days from the date of receipt of the application" means.

:)

while I totally agree they should be accountable.. and they should not drag it out till the end of time.. sometimes it is a bad call to harass your LOCAL pd... not because you owe them anything... or should treat them like they are above the law... but simply because they are your local pd... and chances are.. you may need to deal with them at some point... and being "that guy" is not always beneficial..

the reality is no matter how much you complain.. they will likely take their time.. so in the end it takes just as long..

When you call the commissioner's office, be respectful and ask to speak with commissioner chiesa. They won't connect you with him, but will likely connect you with an assistant commissioner. Tell the person you were calling for commissioner chiesa, and was transferred to them and let them know that you're calling because you need their help. At that point, explain the issue as quickly and clearly as you can. More than likely, they will place a call to the superintendent of the state police, who will in turn call the municipality to see what the problem is. Good luck.

Tell that to the NJ Supreme Court, which legislated from the bench that the state MUST spend $500,000.00 on the Abbott school districts (urban poor districts) because they believe that throwing money at bad schools will give kids a better education. NJ is loaded with activist judges that have been creating their own laws for decades, that's why Christie is trying to appoint new justices to the NJ Supreme Court. Hopefully his choices are going to adhere to what judges are supposed to do, interpret the law.

It seems my town believes it cannot issue a permit until at least 30 days passes, even when all has been received.

Plode,

How did you contact the AG? I think the Essex Country record situation may give some PDs another excuse to slow down the process. I want to be prepared if I feed the need to talk to the AG.

I didn't. I simply called and asked if my FID and P2P's were in, they said no, we'll call you when they are in. I then explained to the Trooper that as per NJ state law I was supposed to have my FID(or not) within 30 days. I said that I felt that I've been more than patient waiting for 9 months. I told him I would be filing a complaint with the AG. He said "well, let me put in a call to find out the status, I'll call you back within the hour". Sure enough he called back and told me I'd have my FID and P2P by the end of that week.

Apparently just the "threat" of filing a complaint gets things moving.

BTW, permits don't "come in". The PD does the permits. The state responds back to the PD within two weeks with approval. The delay that everyone is seeing is from their own PD not doing their job.

BTW, permits don't "come in". The PD does the permits. The state responds back to the PD within two weeks with approval. The delay that everyone is seeing is from their own PD not doing their job.

Or, in Essex County, the adjuster's office who lost everyone's mental health records...

From the State Police(my "municipal" police force)? The SGT on duty said they came typed up from Trenton.

From the State Police(my "municipal" police force)? The SGT on duty said they came typed up from Trenton.

That may be the case for those who apply to the NJSP, but anyone with a municipal PD has their permits typed up at that PD.