Sign in to follow this  
fatty

Bushnell TRS-25

So I just picked up a bushnell trs-25 red dot and thought it was broken. Initially the red dot had a massive star burst effect until I mounted it and co-witnessed with iron sights. Magically the star burst disappeared once I looked through the irons.

Does this mean I have astigmtism?? Does anyone experience this as well with your red dots?

Btw the quality of this optic seems excellent amd the dot is crisp and very bright.

I have astigmatism and have same issue with the TR25..i can correct mine with glasses or contacts..also keeping the brightness setting down to lower setting helps..its a great sight for the $.. Just zeroed it in my stag model 3 at 100yds..bout a 4-5" group with no magnification

I know the feeling but with the glasses the starburst is completely gone..contacts just a bit remains..enjoy the sight...great choice in my book..and bushnell just sent me a plan which will replace the sight no questions asked for an additional 2 years for 20 bucks..

the aperature on the irons cuts down on the scattered light... move the sight further away and it should get better. i have my PA red dot almost as far down the upper receiver as it can go. start far, and bring it in until you start getting the glare, then move back 1 or 2 spaces.

the aperature on the irons cuts down on the scattered light... move the sight further away and it should get better. i have my PA red dot almost as far down the upper receiver as it can go. start far, and bring it in until you start getting the glare, then move back 1 or 2 spaces.

this , i love my bushnell trs25, great sight!

The closer you have the dot to your eye, the less distinct it will look, I also keep mine as far down as it'll go on the rail on my rifles ( i've used this on my saiga 7.62, and my 10/22 )

It doesnt matter how far back I mount it (its already as far down as possible) as I still get that crazy starburst until I flip up my rear buis.

Glad to hear such great feedback. I was a little skeptical at first

Fun test: hold the sight and rotate it while looking at the dot.

If the dot/star appears to rotate with the sight, the problem is with the sight.

If the star (and it's deformities) stay in the same position as you rotate the sight, it's your eyes.

I have one; nice little sight. Best for the money.

Fun test: hold the sight and rotate it while looking at the dot.

If the dot/star appears to rotate with the sight, the problem is with the sight.

If the star (and it's deformities) stay in the same position as you rotate the sight, it's your eyes.

I have one; nice little sight. Best for the money.

just tried your "fun" test... and if your theory is correct, my eyes are definitely messed up. out of curiosity, would a high-end optic (aimpoint/eotech) fix this to any degree? or will any red dot look this bad for someone with astigmatism?

it'd be hard to justify mounting a $400+ optic on an M&P 15 sport, but it's pretty annoying to have to leave up the rear buis to see a crisp red dot.

For what it's worth, when I look through a red-dot scope, it looks like the semi-completed death-star in Star Wars Episode VI. I found that test on the Aimpoint web site here. Scroll to the question: "My dot doesn't look round; is it defective?"

If your dot does not appear to be perfectly round, the distortion is probably caused by the way that your eye perceives the dot, rather than by some mechanical defect. Due to differences in the lenses in different individuals' eyes, round objects that subtend areas near 3 minutes of angle may appear distorted in a variety of ways depending on the individual and other environmental influences. Inexpensive red dot sights sometimes have manufacturing defects that can cause the dot to be an odd shape.

If the dot does not roll with the sight, the distortion is caused in the way your eye perceives the dot. This is not to say that you don't have good vision. You can see clearly and still see a distortion in objects this small.

I don't know if a more expensive optic will fix the problem. My Bushnell is on a Ruger 22/45. Good luck with it.

Yep, sounds like it's your eyes... most likely astigmatism. I have a little bit of astigmatism, and have this same red dot sight on my Ruger Mk III Hunter and have a bit of the same problem. Lowering the brightness as much as I can seems to help a lot, and then if I put my glasses on, it completely takes care of it. It's a great little sight for the money.

@njdivertony - at setting #1 the dot still looks huge but manageable.

I agree... Since I use it on a pistol, it's fine for me... On my AR, I have a primary arms red dot with a nice crisp 2 MOA dot that looks tiny in comparison to the Bushnell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD