mrlew

Purchasing Pheasants

Anyone one know where I can purchase live pheasants? I'm working with my Brittany and would like to buy a few for training.

Thanks,

Friends that I know that purchase birds often use B&B, M&M, Buttonwood or Gibersons. (Some preserves in NJ get some of their birds from PA.) Just remember to keep your receipts on hand. If you are stocking them on public land you have to adhere to the daily limits for that game bird imposed by the state.

All of these places are preserves and some should have birds: http://www.ultimatep...USA/New-Jersey/

Just a thought, but if your dog is still young, I would suggest training with a different gamebird. Pheasant are expensive and sometimes a poor choice for a young dog. I would use quail or chukar instead.

Thanks for the advise. Ragtop, I had googled but was looking for the more reliable personal experience. The dog is 2 years old, we only got him over the summer so this is his first year hunting. I'll try some quail and chukars first.

Thanks again!

Thanks for asking.

Sadly, it didn't. Was hoping to do it over my company's Christmas break. As it seems to happen all too often life got in the way. A close friend lost his fight with cancer that week so plans changed.

And now my free time is taken up with another pastime, I do volunteer work at my kids old high school teaching/helping students design and build the sets for their spring musical.

So................. now looking at April/May to work with him.

Chris