Sign in to follow this  
woodentoe

Traipsing through the woods...

Lol. I know. This is me back at the car. On my way home. Walked in at 7 am.

Don't believe that crap. I've shot deer (plural) with a cigarette in my hand. The only reason you shouldn't shoot a deer with a cigarette in your mouth is the smoke gets in your eyes.

Probably masks the human scent better than all the fancy stuff.

Oh and cigars, Cousin Stevie used to light a cigar because that was his deer hunting "lucky charm".

Keep at it Jim... One day everything will come together

Public land is tough, when you get a shot --take it -- that shot won't stick around

I to have shot deer with a smoke in my hand -- Many years ago -- been long quit since then but certainly saw deer thru the smoke cloud

Well deer season in zone 15 is closed until jan 5th. I was looking for tree rats and stomping briars for bunnies. Mainly I just heard them laughing at me.

I encountered no one else hunting. Just cars on the road. Slowly I'm figuring out where I need to be and how to move. Steep learning curve because I never hunted growing up.

Today was a good day to get out for game. Usually, game will be out feeding before a storm front moves in. Even stocked pheasants will feed prior to a storm. Yesterday was probably the better day for rabbits or squirrel. Today would have been a good day for pheasant.

When I was driving out a rooster crossed in front of the car. I slowed down and he walked across. She he got the the other side I saw another rooster, then another and a hen on the woodland side of the street walking away from the briar field. I don't have a pheasant stamp and I wasn't sure if I had to be 150 ft from the road anyway. Otherwise I'd have tried to spook them up.