Sign in to follow this  
71ragtopgoat

PA cop busted on AR violation

And where does the bus go? Port Authority.

Back to the discussion. Look, I don't blame the individual cops for taking the salary. You would have to be a moron not to take the $175k. The problem is with the governing bodies, always was, always will be. Bad cops will be bad cops and should be dealt with. This discussion was never about the individual cops.

Public employees will always be under scrutiny as they should be. They are a use of the people's money and as such as accountable to the people. As such, I dont think they should be paid over $100,000 a year. Do I blame them for taking more? Absolutely not. The blame should be on the people giving them those salaries.

So what is a fair salary in your mind?

Should be up to the individual towns based on their circumstances and what is required.

Obviously towns with more crime, should be paid more.

A neighboring town, based on the work that they do.... no more than 65 to 75k a year. There should be a cap.

Newark, Trenton, should be paid more based on the fact that any day, they can be killed.

Maybe we should all make the same amount according to you...thats fair. Let me check with you before i cash my check next time

Gee, where did I say fair?

I don't pay you salary... except I guess when I do have to go into the city... but if you are PA... you work for a private entity. If you are a public sector cop, than it should be in question. I don't know your exact duties... but in any case, I don't think it should be over 125k.

If most of your pay is OT... then Pa needs to hire more people.

A fair salary is one that is competitive in the private sector. I'm as Union as the day is long. But we have to produce or be replaced.

These guys dont produce and are compensated at a rate well above what a security guard would make.

At any time any cop can be killed. Not just in what you call bad areas.

where would you say you are more likely to get killed... in Newark or Rumson?

Yes, a cop can get killed anywhere.. much like a public citizen can. But you can't say your job is as dangerous in every town you can be working.

Gee, where did I say fair?

I don't pay you salary... except I guess when I do have to go into the city... but if you are PA... you work for a private entity. If you are a public sector cop, than it should be in question. I don't know your exact duties... but in any case, I don't think it should be over 125k.

If most of your pay is OT... then Pa needs to hire more people.

Some facts in case you might want to know..there are over 70 municipalities that make more than PA cops. Most dont work in very dangerous environments. I work in newark, NYC, Jersey City. So since i work in newaek i guess i deserve my salary.

So true...i guess gloucester is a real bad area. Cops almost got killed. They might like to hear you gand theory that they deserve more now.

Deserve has nothing to do with it. The point is... it is the citizens of the town who make that up. It is their job to determine how much they want. It is not your job, it is their job.

If the citizens want lower taxes, they can make whatever choices they want, it is they that have to live with it.

My personal township is good, their salaries are competitive, on average about 60k a year, a few detectives making more. That is what I feel is a good wage. They brought on more cops as needed, due to a few retired ones and the growth. In fact, I think they need to hire one or two more, particularly to relieve the detectives who are doing too much as it is.

Some facts in case you might want to know..there are over 70 municipalities that make more than PA cops. Most dont work in very dangerous environments. I work in newark, NYC, Jersey City. So since i work in newaek i guess i deserve my salary.

And I bet 95% of cops make less than $175,000.

The whole point was... the guy should not be making $175k. The PA should of hire someone for $45k to do the OT work instead of paying this guy $80k.

What was there not to understand?

I have worked in Newark, Camden, and Irvington. We both need to make more. Awesome!

So what are you making now? =)

Seriously, $175k is too much freaking money, no matter how many hours this guy works for a public sector job.

Beyond that, if Jon is right, and this guy worked an average of 28 hours of Over Time.... EVERY WEEK.... on top of his 40 hour a week now... do we really want him to work 70 hours a week? Let's be serious.

And I bet 95% of cops make less than $175,000.

The whole point was... the guy should not be making $175k. The PA should of hire someone for $45k to do the OT work instead of paying this guy $80k.

What was there not to understand?

and what part of the concept cant you get through your skull. That new guy now gets the academy, quarterly training, benefits for him and his dependants among other things. So how much are you really saving on what the first guy made in OT. Your an accountant...it shouldnt be hard.

and what part of the concept cant you get through your skull. That new guy now gets the academy, quarterly training, benefits for him and his dependants among other things. So how much are you really saving on what the first guy made in OT. Your an accountant...it shouldnt be hard.

Can't you make a post without being an insulting a'hole?

If OT is a one time thing... sure. But obviously it is not. If it costs a bit more right now, get more people because you can save more in the long term.

Management bitches about OT but it is cheaper to hire OT than hire someone and train them and pay benefits/pension.

I agree on the benefits. The pension probably, I am not familiar with how it works in terms of your contribution, if any that you have to do.

As I posted before... OT depends... is it a one time thing or not.

If OT is there because you are understaffed, than it should be fixed. I would rather pay a tad more instead of having a cop walking around with lack of sleep working 70 hours a week.