Sign in to follow this  
71ragtopgoat

PA cop busted on AR violation

I will tell you right now, I am 100% absolutely against unions. This is not the 1950's. Unions is what killed America's industries and the only reason GM, and Dodge went bankrupt.

Now the anti-leo comments, who said anything bad about cops?

You are the first one that brought it up. Let me remind you, LEO are public sector, so should we just pay them all $200,000 a year without questions?

When the fact is, it is my taxes that pay someone's salary, I have a damn good reason to question how MY MONEY is being spent.

It has nothing to do with being anti cop.... it has everything to do with controlling my expenses. As far as overtime... well, if someone makes as much in OT over the course of the year as much as their salary... and their salary is high to begin with... we should be hiring more people.

There are over 21 million people out of work, some of them will do the work for alot less pay.

Besides... why do we need someone getting paid $90,000 a year to effectively do the job of someone earning $35,000 a year.

Corporations are responsible to the owners.... public sector is responsible to the people paying their salaries.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Once again we seem to be missing the point that your taxes do NOT pay Port Authority cops salaries. they are private and receive no public funding for their operation.

I also don't think unions killed American industries. I'd venture to say it was the greedy heads of these corporations who put their huge bonuses above paying their workers a fair and competitive salary. hence, while they outsourced jobs to China and continually made more and more while the average worker suffered. Look at Hostess...it wasn't the unions fault it was the greedy management.

Here's a little bit about Hostess.

While trying to cut employee salaries by 8% and employee benefits by 32%, hostess' CEO gave himself a 300% raise. Nine other hostess executives received 60-100% raises while filing for their second bankruptcy. Not to mention they stopped paying into the pension system essentially owing millions of dollars to their employees. It seems easy to blame the unions and I can agree that it seems a lot of unions are more concerned with protecting their power instead of enhancing the interests of their members, but it's kind of hard to blame people, who make $20 an hour and wanted a decent wage and benefits package for this while corporate leaders lines their pocket, for this situation.

This is the issue Maks... The governing bodies never want to approve the hiring of more cops, which creates all the overtime.

Than those governing bodies should be responsible.

There is no logical reason why taxpayers should throw away their money like that. None.

If anything, I believe our troops should be paid $90k a year, you know, the ones taking bullets, as opposed to people sitting at the airport. (yes, my friend does exactly that.... )

Hell, our dispatchers should be paid that much.

What killed the housing industry was crooked banks, financial planners and tax people. They are the downfall..

that would be politicians, and people who were taking on more debt than they can pay. =)

Banking industry made it worse... but by no means did they start it.

What killed the housing industry was crooked banks, financial planners and tax people. They are the downfall..

Add individuals who like living beyond their means, basically 80% of Americans.

I find it funny that we are all saying, "wow this guy got screwed" when I'm sure we don't know a 1/10th of the details. For all we know the guy could have threatened his wife. Why did she get the RO? We typically jump to the defense when the scenario is flipped and the antis are making statements based on incorrect or incomplete facts yet here we are doing the same.

As for his salary, I find it interesting that he makes that much and has to work that much OT. I often wonder how people fit in 65hr work weeks end to end to end for a whole year. I've worked plenty of OT jobs and that just seems insane. It's an obvious sign their is something being mismanaged but that is something we are all very much aware of with the PA, this is not to say it's the officers fault. Sh*t, who here would turn down that money as long as quality of life wasn't suffering too much? When I got my bonus this year I didn't look at my boss and say, "gee this is a bit excessive". I put my head down, ran out of the room, and kept my head low until I was sure the check cleared!! However, these guys are public employees and are either getting paid by our taxes or as in the case of the PA, tolls levied against us. Either way, their should be accountability, what are you doing that justifies this amount of money? Sitting in a car at the Outerbridge doing very little, if anything at all, does not justify making that kind of money. An officer slugging it out in a high crime area, I'm more likely to be OK with it.

The off-topic griping is a whole different animal. There was a thread the other day where someone mentioned "thin skin". That is large part of the problem here, a few individuals get bent out of shape very easily and feel they have to protect or defend themselves when they weren't the specific target of a comment. I find it odd that some of the more caustic individuals on the board start talking about banning people. We are all here because we are supporters of 2A yet we have to lock threads because we can't enjoy our 1A freedoms without being jerks.

Once again we seem to be missing the point that your taxes do NOT pay Port Authority cops salaries. they are private and receive no public funding for their operation.

Well, they are 'public benefit corporation' if I am not mistaken, and suppose to operate under the same regulations as other government organizations. The issue is they derive their profits based off of things they control all aspects over, including the price. They have a monopoly on the bridge and tunnel business of the area, which of course includes the tolls. So they can raise the prices of such on an arbitrary basis.

Than those governing bodies should be responsible.

There is no logical reason why taxpayers should throw away their money like that. None.

If anything, I believe our troops should be paid $90k a year, you know, the ones taking bullets, as opposed to people sitting at the airport. (yes, my friend does exactly that.... )

Hell, our dispatchers should be paid that much.

gee when i worked at the airport i never sat. But what do i know im just a lazy union schlub.

Just close this thread already. It way off topic with the usual bs. This whole site should just ban political discussions and focus on guns.

I also don't think unions killed American industries. I'd venture to say it was the greedy heads of these corporations who put their huge bonuses above paying their workers a fair and competitive salary. hence, while they outsourced jobs to China and continually made more and more while the average worker suffered. Look at Hostess...it wasn't the unions fault it was the greedy management.

The PA doesn't receive public funding? Semantics my friend. They have control over vital components of the tri-state area's infrastructure. It's basically a monopoly in certain aspects and they seem able to set their own rates without having to answer or be held accountable for where all the money is going.

It isn't as simple as "it's the unions fault" or it's the "greedy CEOs". The fact is there are a lot of factors that play into it. Many folks are culpable.

Mark, this was already in reference to all public jobs.

Port Authority is quasi public sector. As others mentioned, there is no way to get into the city without going through one of their properties.

Look at Toyota and look at GM.

Look, not all unions are bad, but the unions I was part of, and the unions I deal with, are more concerned with their own pocket books than their members.

Mark, this was already in reference to all public jobs.

Port Authority is quasi public sector. As others mentioned, there is no way to get into the city without going through one of their properties.

Look at Toyota and look at GM.

Look, not all unions are bad, but the unions I was part of, and the unions I deal with, are more concerned with their own pocket books than their members.

You can take a ferry or take the bus (NJ transit will benefit). You don't have to drive into the city people choose to.

gee when i worked at the airport i never sat. But what do i know im just a lazy union schlub.

Just close this thread already. It way off topic with the usual bs. This whole site should just ban political discussions and focus on guns.

So congrats, we should have more people like you.

I know from first hand experience from what I saw, and what they told me.

Much like the cops who sleep in their cars in the middle of cemeteries, the cops who steal shit.

Does it mean they are all bad? Absolutely not. The vast majority of LEO I know personally are good hard working people. But my problem with you, is that you defend all LEO and that everything LEO should be off limits. Nope, does not work like that.

This LEO in picture is a moron. He got caught breaking the law. When you do that, everything is in question, and nothing off the table.

Maybe it is symentaics, and Port Authority being private.... so PA Cops are not really cops, but private security with badges? If so, I could care less what they make... it is a private entity.

But don't call them cops. Cops implies public funding. Public means it is all in question.

Jon, if you are by a PC, can you split this topic, move the vast majority of it to politics.... and keep the original story here....

So back to the point...

PA private security guy got arrested for illegal guns and high cap magazines....

go

Did Max say, "as opposed to BlueLineFish sitting at the airport"?? You take things way too personally when they aren't even aimed at you, or even cops in general. He didn't say, "all cops are lazy schlubs". He was making reference to (a) specific individual(s). I'm sure he would make a similar comment if someone he dealt with in his personal business was a loafer. He isn't take a potshot at you or public employees as a whole.

I do not blindly defend all cops. The bad ones givebthe good ones a bad name. I did say just the other day that the female cop from Gloucester should be fired for her actions. So dont say i blindly defend all cops. Im out on this thread. Tired of all the whining and crying.

I do not blindly defend all cops. The bad ones givebthe good ones a bad name. I did say just the other day that the female cop from Gloucester should be fired for her actions. So dont say i blindly defend all cops. Im out on this thread. Tired of all the whining and crying.

A TON OF CRY BABIES. MAYBE I SHOULDN'T WRITE IN ALL CAPS IN CASE I OFFEND SOMEONE.

You can take a ferry or take the bus (NJ transit will benefit). You don't have to drive into the city people choose to.

The cost of a ride into the city on a NJ Transit bus definitely takes tolls into account. Ferry services pay for docking in the city, not sure if it goes to PA. The only free ferry is SI ferry and for us Jersey folk that would require either swimming to SI or paying the toll at Outerbridge or Goethels.

I think we can agree this guy was an idiot. He had a flash suppressor and jersey defined "high cap mags" Unfortunately we here can agree there's nothing evil about these but Jersey law is the law here and he should've known better. I think we can agree most cops are hard workers but some think they have a sense of entitlemant and are above the law which is probably the case with the guy from the article.

So congrats, we should have more people like you.

I know from first hand experience from what I saw, and what they told me.

Much like the cops who sleep in their cars in the middle of cemeteries, the cops who steal shit.

Does it mean they are all bad? Absolutely not. The vast majority of LEO I know personally are good hard working people. But my problem with you, is that you defend all LEO and that everything LEO should be off limits. Nope, does not work like that.

This LEO in picture is a moron. He got caught breaking the law. When you do that, everything is in question, and nothing off the table.

Maybe it is symentaics, and Port Authority being private.... so PA Cops are not really cops, but private security with badges? If so, I could care less what they make... it is a private entity.

But don't call them cops. Cops implies public funding. Public means it is all in question.

So now you are saying im not a cop? You really better think about your answer

First thing you did was blast how salary is off limits and no one should question him getting paid $175k.....

instead of focusing on the facts....

Guy arrested for breaking the law.

In any case, this is locked.

Sorry but No...the Judge will STILL Demand she be paid..with some snarky remark like "You should have thought of that before you lost your Job better get a couple of Jobs Bucko....Judgement Stands" And yes i have seen judges issue orders like that

NJ houses tons of Dads in just such a predicament.Like this guy.

http://www.nj.com/hu...order_lays.html

Why is there any controversy on here--and such a wild deviation from the original topic (a cop getting screwed-over by a possibly-vindictive, soon-to-be ex-wife), when we've known for years about the OT issue at the PA of NY/NJ?

Every year like clockwork, either the Star-Ledger or NY Post comes out with the list of the highest earners at the PA, and it's usually dominated by LEO's. While I agree with some posters on here that it might seem excessive, and their money might be better spent if they hired more PA cops, I've got a MUCH bigger problem with the management of the PA, which in and of itself has been the largest political patronage mill ever seen in this area of the country. Plushy, practically no-show office jobs with six-figure salaries, cars and other perks, paid to people who green-light toll increases to pay for their piggishness.

Not only that, the PA does NOT pay property taxes, as a rule, on any of its facilities in this area. Add to that the terrific deal they made for themselves recently here in Bayonne, grabbing a huge chunk of prime waterfront property at the old Military Ocean Terminal for pennies on the dollar, given the market value of the land. I'm still waiting to see how many Bayonne politicians and their relatives manage to land positions at the PA as a quid pro quo for this shady deal.

So, no, rather than blame the cops for taking whatever overtime the (mis)management at the Port Authority makes available to them, I'll save my vitriol for the "Oz"-like management of the place, all put into their positions not from a competitive process but through the largesse of the governors of New York and New Jersey.

Good luck to the officer, as he seems to be getting the very worst of our head-scratching state firearms laws on this one.

And where does the bus go? Port Authority.

Back to the discussion. Look, I don't blame the individual cops for taking the salary. You would have to be a moron not to take the $175k. The problem is with the governing bodies, always was, always will be. Bad cops will be bad cops and should be dealt with. This discussion was never about the individual cops.

Public employees will always be under scrutiny as they should be. They are a use of the people's money and as such as accountable to the people. As such, I dont think they should be paid over $100,000 a year. Do I blame them for taking more? Absolutely not. The blame should be on the people giving them those salaries.