Clintoon Eastwood

Off set 45* iron sights help

I'm thinking of going to these kind of iron sight because my red dot has a mount thats not a QD.

So I'm asking if anybody is USING an off set iron sight and what kind?

Something like this, I guess DUECK is the big name for these kind of sight?

Any opinions or experience on these please enlighten me..

post-4964-0-03570300-1357504273_thumb.jpg

I bought a set off of amazon and they seem to be great. I haven't used them yet but compared to the Dueck sights these do the same thing for a hell of a lot less money. I have never had the Dueck set in my hand but I don't know what could be worth the extra $200 bucks. I will be buying another set soon. I looked at the Dueck set and I think the steel is a little thicker, that's all I can see that is different.

What platform are you mounting them to?

What RDS are you using?

Why not go the traditional Flip-Up BUIS route if you are trying to unclutter your sight picture?

At $230 for the DD sights, is it cheaper to buy a quick-detach mount for your optic?

I have used them but I did not like them. They are a sub-optimal choice at best. You can make them work, but the traditional type BUIS have a much shallower learning curve.

I have only used/seen them used in conjunction with magnified optics that don't allow tradition iron sights or BUIS to be mounted or deployed effectively. I know they are big in the race gun/space gun crowd, but I have never used these types of sights on an M4/AR-15 type rifle with a RDS.

Thank you gentlemen for the help, but as for adding an off set mount that's a NO go for me since I'm trying to keep it light as possible and I would feel that it would make my Ar more bulkier.

At High exposure,

- its my run and gun Ar 16" Adams arms piston upper

- no RDS

- I have barely any room for a rear flip up sight since I have a magnifier behind the red dot. Well I do but I can't stand the 1/3 co-witness crap.

I guess that's why I would rather have an off set sight and get a clear picture rather than co-witness

I never understood angled iron sights. You either have a bizzare crooked sight picture, or have to angle your rifle for a normal sight picture.

I just have good quality backup iron sights in conjuction with my rds, you can use your flipups just fine with the sight turned on or off. No need to quick disconnect.

And why put a $30 ebay sight of all things on the side of your rifle, that will deinately get bumped even when you just place your rifle down on a shooting bench? Are you ready to put enough trust into them to hold zero?

i did a lot of research when i was putting my evil black rifle together and decided to go with a flipup + rds for this reason

I am in no way lambasting anyone for choosing differently than myself, i just want to give you my opinion on this! Whatever works for you works for you!

I never understood angled iron sights. You either have a bizzare crooked sight picture, or have to angle your rifle for a normal sight picture.

I just have good quality backup iron sights in conjuction with my rds, you can use your flipups just fine with the sight turned on or off. No need to quick disconnect.

And why put a $30 ebay sight of all things on the side of your rifle, that will deinately get bumped even when you just place your rifle down on a shooting bench? Are you ready to put enough trust into them to hold zero?

i did a lot of research when i was putting my evil black rifle together and decided to go with a flipup + rds for this reason

I am in no way lambasting anyone for choosing differently than myself, i just want to give you my opinion on this! Whatever works for you works for you!

Offset mounts are generally useful for backing up a fixed scope (like what alec.mc pictured) and not for backing up a down RDS.

that's what I plan on doing

Only way it makes sense to me imo.

@OP - If you do not like the lower 1/3 co-witness have you thought about full co-witness or a QD solution for your RDS/x3 mag? Alot quicker to transition to a cowitness than take the split second to figure out wtf happened to your dot and adjust your entire firearm. http://www.m4carbine...ad.php?t=102597 <- Thread on M4C on 45* offsets if you do decide to do it. Some reviews on various manf.

Only way it makes sense to me imo.

@OP - If you do not like the lower 1/3 co-witness have you thought about full co-witness or a QD solution for your RDS/x3 mag? Alot quicker to transition to a cowitness than take the split second to figure out wtf happened to your dot and adjust your entire firearm. http://www.m4carbine...ad.php?t=102597 <- Thread on M4C on 45* offsets if you do decide to do it. Some reviews on various manf.

I agree, but a full co witness mount was too low. It felt awkward with my big head basically it didn't feel right to me.

A quarter of a turn isn't that bad. Thank you for the link though.

I never said a $30 eBay sight, there are a lot of knock offs out there and good ones at that. I understand what you are saying too, but the one I'm saying is dueck sights, it's a little pricey. I just don't like the 1/3 co witness.

I agree, but a full co witness mount was too low. It felt awkward with my big head basically it didn't feel right to me.

A quarter of a turn isn't that bad. Thank you for the link though.

Np. Hope you find a set you like! Are you looking for a specific type of rear aperture? A1/A2/flip/static/etc?

Np. Hope you find a set you like! Are you looking for a specific type of rear aperture? A1/A2/flip/static/etc?

I hope I find it too, well if I don't like it, then you gentlemen will see it on the marketplace.

I'm not a big fan of flip up sights, so A2 would be my choice because that's what I'm used to.

BUT, let me get this clear to everybody, that's trying to help! My upper doesn't have an "A" post that's another reason that an off set sight is appealing to me.