Blueskybob

Moon/Star Clips alternate supplier

Any body have any experiences with other than factory supplied moon clips?

Here is one recommended from another forum.

http://www.tkcustom.com/

Looks like an interesting company.

Anyone ever dealt with them?

Also interesting idea (all it takes is money!) to convert your wheel gun to handle both ways of reloading.

Honestly, I rarely use factory moons! You don't mention what you are shooting needing that needs moons, but there are several excellent aftermarket suppliers. I actually know Tom of TK personally, and he is an exceptional fellow and gunsmith. Several of my sporting Smiths have been coverted by him. Now if you just have something like a 625 you like to shoot, check out http://www.ezmoonclip.com.

Honestly, I rarely use factory moons! You don't mention what you are shooting needing that needs moons, but there are several excellent aftermarket suppliers. I actually know Tom of TK personally, and he is an exceptional fellow and gunsmith. Several of my sporting Smiths have been coverted by him. Now if you just have something like a 625 you like to shoot, check out http://www.ezmoonclip.com.

Thanks NJCK!

I have a little Taurus 905 (9mm) that I am pulling out of the safe again. The factory clips just seem a little thin . I have to "screwdriver" set them after loading.

I am intrigued by the idea of converting a larger caliber to be dual moon/clip or regular loading! If my S&W was 45LC and not .44 I would probably be hooked!

What are you looking for the moon clips for? How long can you wait to get them and roughly how many do you want to get?

One of the best sources for moon clips is Ranch Products. I believe this is pretty much a cottage industry and requires a phonecall and conversation with a real person to order them. I believe they do have an Internet presence, but it is only informational. I don't know if they make them for your Taurus, but I would bet that they do. Often times the vendors that carry moonclips and sell them in small quantities, are supplied by Ranch Products.

The Ranch Products moonclips are fine for all purposes. As Alec found out, if you have an 8 round revolver, the Ranch Products clips are a little flimsy. If you shoot one of those guns in competition, Heathco clips are the answer - but they are $7 - $7.50 each.

To make things easier in loading and unloading your clips, search the web for moonclip tools and demooners and you will find a variety of tools to make your life easier.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

why shoot 9mm when you can go big bore 45 acp?

just get yourself a smith 625 or a ruger acp single action.

big bore is awesome

Good Point Jamesbod!

But, long story short the 905 was born out of a project for a uni-caliber (rifle/pistol/cc pistol) project starting with a CX4 Storm.

Thanks Pizza Bob!

Never realized there were so many choices!

One of the best sources for moon clips is Ranch Products. I believe this is pretty much a cottage industry and requires a phonecall and conversation with a real person to order them. I believe they do have an Internet presence, but it is only informational. I don't know if they make them for your Taurus, but I would bet that they do. Often times the vendors that carry moonclips and sell them in small quantities, are supplied by Ranch Products.

The Ranch Products moonclips are fine for all purposes. As Alec found out, if you have an 8 round revolver, the Ranch Products clips are a little flimsy. If you shoot one of those guns in competition, Heathco clips are the answer - but they are $7 - $7.50 each.

To make things easier in loading and unloading your clips, search the web for moonclip tools and demooners and you will find a variety of tools to make your life easier.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

A big +1 to TK Custom and NJCK for the moon clips!

Just got them in.

DId a quick short test they are much better than the factory ones.

Stiffer, with a more positive snap in and no adjustment required after loading to keep the rounds in the clip.

A little less wiggle than the factory clips which makes them very smooth and quick to load.

A little on the expensive side, but they are not something you are going throw away.

Well worth the difference in cost.

Now to the range!

Now toying with the idea of converting my .44 Mountain Gun to moon clips by TK .................... sigh, its only money! :rolleyes:

It really depends on what gun you are using,

6 shot 45? = ranch products will work fine, hearthco a little better.

8 shot 38? = anything but hearthco is complete crap and not worth your time.

Now, after doing alot of revolver shooting in competition - hearthco is all I use for a match ( both for my 625 and 327 )

Side by side of the 6 shot 45acp clips, regular / standard = black , hearthco = stainless

at first glance I was unimpressed, but after using them for a while they do indeed load smoother then the regular ranch products ( or maybe it's just in my mind )

8252419717_e8867c4e3c_z.jpg

8253489850_64e37ec034_z.jpg

8253489426_10a0cc74dd_z.jpg

8252418769_cca131b525_z.jpg

8252418447_4833ea9ed6_z.jpg

and in closing, the HEARTHCO brand clips supplied by TKCUSTOMS , while extremely expensive , considering costs of other speed loaders, if you are serious about competition, speed loading, and are on the clock, go for the good stuff....

If not, and just need something to hold your rounds at the range for messing around, go for the cheap stuff.

TK customs supplies and produces the clips designed by hearthco,( that's the way I understand it ) TK customs also sells non-hearthco clips so be sure to clarify on your order, they range about 70-80 bucks for 10 clips.

TK custom wire EDM cuts the hearthco clips, most other clips are stamped

Interesting Porthole, That looks similar to the one offered by Toms. (nod to NJCK)

Saw this one also: http://www.bmtequipped.com/index.php

Offered by BMT Equipped. (interesting demo at the end of the Schofield vid by Gunblast.

Anyone have any experience with either? :polling:

I have just been doing it by hand so far.

TK customs supplies and produces the clips designed by hearthco,( that's the way I understand it ) TK customs also sells non-hearthco clips so be sure to clarify on your order, they range about 70-80 bucks for 10 clips.

TK custom wire EDM cuts the hearthco clips, most other clips are stamped

Thanks Alec, with shipping thats what mine cost. I figure it is well worth it.

They do mention in one section that the mfg. the Hearthcom designed clips, but I saw no other ones listed.

Interesting Porthole, That looks similar to the one offered by Toms. (nod to NJCK)

Saw this one also: http://www.bmtequipped.com/index.php

Offered by BMT Equipped. (interesting demo at the end of the Schofield vid by Gunblast.

Anyone have any experience with either? :polling:

I have just been doing it by hand so far.

The moonclip loader from BMT works good, expensive, but has good reviews.

I didnt buy one because it's a two piece tool, i'm bound to loose one part or the other

expensive

it's doesnt have the option to unload or load just one or two, it's all or none.

I use the loader from www.mooncliptool.com

and I made a custom de-mooner out of 1/2 cooper pipe.

pics:

the " de mooner " is 1/2" copper pipe with the notch cut out to grab the clip and pull the round out dremeled in at the bottom.

i made it length wise so it'll hold all 6 empty cases from my s&w 625 45acp clips, and i dump it right into my empty brass bucket when done........ and the " T " handle doubles as a little hammer If something needs bashing.

8407742846_68d4246e9e_z.jpg

8406650323_b17aaf4ec9_z.jpg

pics:

the " de mooner " is 1/2" copper pipe with the notch cut out to grab the clip and pull the round out dremeled in at the bottom.

i made it length wise so it'll hold all 6 empty cases from my s&w 625 45acp clips, and i dump it right into my empty brass bucket when done........ and the " T " handle doubles as a little hammer If something needs bashing.

Thanks for the description and pics on the DIY de mooner!

You can tell alec.mc has been doing this awhile because he's go the old tricks! My homebrew de-mooner is similar, except it's a clear acrylic tube "corked" at one end with a handle resembling a nice set of S&W combats (complete with medallions)! I use one of Tom's loaders (I must have 3 or 4 of them around).

You can tell alec.mc has been doing this awhile because he's go the old tricks! My homebrew de-mooner is similar, except it's a clear acrylic tube "corked" at one end with a handle resembling a nice set of S&W combats (complete with medallions)! I use one of Tom's loaders (I must have 3 or 4 of them around).

That de-mooner sounds pretty bad ass. Got a picture?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

+1 for Ranch Products! I think it was $75 for 100 of them (a lifetime supply). It took about a month to get them, though.

This is also something to look into. And, if you have different revolvers (or plan on getting them) then you might want to get extra arbors such as for a S&W 625, for example...

http://www.revolversupply.com/documents/68.html