emptyshell

Scope suggestion from the experts

Looking to buying a "mid" priced scope(up to 1K) for my Sig 716. Was thinking of a Vortex Viper 4x16.

Been really enjoying long range shooting, and want to step it up...say 300 yard range(I know...this really isn't all that long...but being a novice at this skill set...long for me)

Best to ask the experienced experts...

I love Nikon... For you maybe look at the Nikon M-308, M for Monarch, 308 for specifically designed for the AR-10 308 round platform. I think its a 4-16x50? or something like that.

They have a large selection of Monarch you just have to look at what specific desires you have. I put a Monarch on my .308 Bolt action and am absolutely ecstatic, its like getting $1000 quality for $500 and so on.

No experience with Vortex but hear they are good scopes.

I do like the Sightron SIII 6-24x or the Bushnell 6-24x H2DMR Elite tactical scopes. Have experience with Bushnell and Sightron. Great glass for the money and under the $1000 mark. Both can be had for about $800-850. Remember you will need to buy rings too and a rail if you dont have them. Good rings are around $150 and rail about $100.

For 300 yards, you can get a decent scope for $500. If you want to move to longer distances later, spend the extra coin now. $1000 buys you a lot of glass these days. Much more than it did 10 years ago.

I'm a huge Vortex fan. I think Vortex and Sightron give you the most scope for the $$ these days. There are a lot of others in the 1K range that compete, too.

The Vortex Viper PST collection has several scopes under and right around 1K

For a little more coin, you are getting into lower end (and "lower end" is VERY relative here) Nightforce scopes. http://www.amazon.com/NightForce-Precision-Benchrest-Illuminated-Riflescope/dp/B002YF78GI/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1358473537&sr=8-4&keywords=nightforce+scope

If its for benchrest then I would definitely go with a Sightron SIII 6-24x or 8-32x. Sightron has a huge following in the benchrest community. Excellent crisp, clear glass and well built.

For rings, I recommend the Burris Signature Zee rings. Great product.