mx597turbo

Taking Action in Essex County

Bad news guys! I spoke to Nancy this morning, the records were NOT delivered yesterday as promised and she does not know when they will be. She told me the person at the county who is reponsible for contracting the restoration service is the Essex Couny Risk Manager, Frank Del Gaudio. He is the person we should be contacting until the records are restored.

Here is his contact info:

Risk Manger, Frank Del Gaudio

Office: 973-621-4400 Direct: 973-621-4427

And our NJ assembly has no problem proposing a multitude of other anti- 2A bills that the state has no way of implementing with out making it damn near impossible for legal gun owners to buy and use their guns.

What would happen if we all had to renew our FIDs every 5 years, many of us are waiting 4 or 5 months as it is, I could easily see it increase to a year or longer. Couple that with cuts in police and administration and we will be way over a year.

Just talked to my local PD - very very helpful. The detective said he will call Frank. He had been talking to Nancy in the past and did not know Frank. He took down Frank's numbers. Hopefully we can get more info. He was a great help and is doing the best he can.

But this gets right to the heart of "asking permission" to exercise a right. The next thing will be to ask permission to exercise a different right, like say the right to free speech. They will be calling to register journalists and bloggers because we all know the pen is mightier than the sword. Funny I don't know anyone who uses either of those anymore. Maybe we should update that to the keyboard is mightier than the AR?

Im giving up. Calling PD tuesday to cancel my 2 permits. I feel like this bs is gonna give me an aneurysm first if i dont. Besides i need to get a new apartment in the coming months and I can't be putting my life on hold waiting for the county to pull their heads out of their asses.

i think the funniest (not really) thing about this whole ordeal is that nobody even knows.. Could you imagine if this was Montgomery County, Texas? Just imagine if for one reason or another, nobody could purchase a pistol in Montgomery County TX for six months and counting!! It would be A) all over the news and B) causing widespread demonstrations and C) maybe worse.

But here? Nobody even knows except the ten of us who contribute to this thread on NJGunForums.com. LOL how sad it is to call oneself a citizen of the "American" (barely) State of New Jersey!!!

Just thought of this, but are there any other types of checks that require a mental health check aside from firearms permits? I have to imagine there are other people being held up by this that have more "favorable" reasons to get checked as far as the county is concerned. If anyone knows who else would require a background check it would be interesting to know.

Just spoke to the the Essex Couny Risk Manager, Frank Del Gaudio at 973-621-4427. He told me that he emailed the company yesterday that is doing the restoration to see why they did not deliver the records on 3/13. They did not respond, which he said, "was because they probably do not have good news". He did tell me that, "the company doing the record restoration is backed up b/c of Hurricanne Sandy".

You can't make this stuff up folks!!!

I've been reading this thread for the past few weeks and I'm as frustrated as everyone else. My question: is there anything we can proactively do to make this right. I feel like a victim during this whole thing. Does anyone know who the restoration company is. If we can get that we can start to apply pressure. We can systematic start calling the aduster, the risk manager and the restoration company. The squeck wheel philosophy applied in mass and methodically. We could threaten a class action lawsuit--we can start off by sending a letter to the adjuster and the risk manger. Aren't some lawyers on this site who could drafted it for us? I am new to this site don't know may people here so I am at a loss. If we are on board let get together-- maybe even draft some other users who may not be effected by this but don't like the injustice to help us. We can make a list, and schedule calls to the three mentioned already. ?

Thanks for the info familyman. The email will help too. Let's flood them with noise and let them know we are not going away. The only way we are going to let up is when they do the right thing. Calls, emails, visits, letters, whatever you can do. But volume is the key. We need to become a thorn in their side or else we won't see permits or cards for months and months.

If you don't have time to call Frank, then email him:

Risk Manager Frank Del Gaudio

(T) 973-621-4427 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 973-621-4427 FREE end_of_the_skype_highlighting (F) 973-621-6650

[email protected]

Once we have the name/number of the company then we call them daily.

After 2 calls, here is a copy of the letter I just emailed Frank @ [email protected], I also cc'd my local police dept.:

Dear Mr. Del Gaudio,

I live in Verona and have been waiting for 4 month to get 2 pistol permits. My local police department has informed me that the mental health records were damaged during Hurricane Sandy, and that is the hold up in processing my permits. Also, I understand that you are the person who contracted the restoration service to restore the records.

By law, this is a process that should take only 30 days and am contacting a lawyer next week. I need the name of the the company that is contracted to restore the mental health records. Please provide this information via email.

Regards,

James

Great letter, mchosi1. I'm send sending one too and pounding them with calls. I want action. If they don't want to take this issue seriously, then the fight is coming. We need as much help as possible. Reach out to othe 2a supporters and have them help out.

You are contacting a lawyer next week?  First, that's a threat.  Second, you lost all credibility.  It translates to: you are going to do nothing.  But yet you have given the recipient of your email cover to never speak to you again.  They probably have policies that you must direct any future inquiries through their legal department from now on and they will never respond to you except through the legal counsel you hire.

At least, that's the way it has normally worked in my 20 years of experience.

Don't threaten to contact a lawyer.  That telegraphs that you are either not serious or you lack any sophistication, and gives them cover to blow you off forever.  If you want to make a point, either copy your lawyer, or have your lawyer write the letter.

You are contacting a lawyer next week? First, that's a threat. Second, you lost all credibility. It translates to: you are going to do nothing. But yet you have given the recipient of your email cover to never speak to you again. They probably have policies that you must direct any future inquiries through their legal department from now on and they will never respond to you except through the legal counsel you hire.

At least, that's the way it has normally worked in my 20 years of experience.

Don't threaten to contact a lawyer. That telegraphs that you are either not serious or you lack any sophistication, and gives them cover to blow you off forever. If you want to make a point, either copy your lawyer, or have your lawyer write the letter.

I guess my lawyer scare tactic worked. Here is a letter that the Risk Manager sent me this morning:

"Mr. Curry:

The county records center in Belleville was hit with a 6 ft. tidal surge from the Passaic River during Hurricane Sandy. The mental health records were affected by the flood and were sent out to a restoration company by the name of Belfor Property Restoration. We anticipate that the records will be returned some time this week. We have prepared a process to expedite the background checks as soon as we receive the records back from Belfor.

We appreciate you patience during this process.

Frank J. Del Gaudio"

I called Frank this morning - no answer. So I sent him this email:

Hello Mr. Del Gaudio,

My name is . I am a resident of Belleville, and submitted an application for a Firearms Identification Card in late September 2012. To date, my application is still delayed due to the Essex County Adjuster's office inability to perform the tasks which they are required to do. This inability to function as required has stripped Essex County residents of their 2nd Amendment rights. Additionally, we all paid for this service, and expect that we will receive what we paid for.

I would like to know the name and address of the restoration company. I would also like to know a firm date when the records will be delivered to you, and then to my local police department. Will these records be processed in the order they were requested?

Please respond to this email in a timely manner.

Sincerely,

I also emailed the Hannity Show. It's a long shot, but what else can we do besides bring the media in. I have a friend who is a reporter for News 12 NJ. He said to contact as many newspaper reporters about this problem. We should get some bites. It's not really the type of story they will cover on TV.

Let's just hope for the best.

I guess my lawyer scare tactic worked. Here is a letter that the Risk Manager sent me this morning:

"Mr. Curry:

The county records center in Belleville was hit with a 6 ft. tidal surge from the Passaic River during Hurricane Sandy. The mental health records were affected by the flood and were sent out to a restoration company by the name of Belfor Property Restoration. We anticipate that the records will be returned some time this week. We have prepared a process to expedite the background checks as soon as we receive the records back from Belfor.

We appreciate you patience during this process.

Frank J. Del Gaudio"

Awasome work! Shall we call the company?