the_stranger

Opinions on 308 Garands

Anyone have any opinions, thoughts on .308 Garands? Pros, Cons?

Thinking of ordering from the CMP and was wondering if a special in 308 would be a decent rifle.

It would probably be just a once in a while range toy, maybe a fun meet. I do already have one in 30-06

(Grand Guy via s forum member)

Thanks

I put in an order for one before the new year. I know surplus 30 '06 is cheaper than 308, but I have a good amount of 308 and reload for it, so...

One thing to consider if you like to go to CMP shoots. You used to NOT be able to shoot 308 Garands at CMP Shoots. Now that the CMP is offering them for sale it may be a different story. I don't know.

I have a Tanker in 7.62 NATO. It works well but has a hell of a muzzle flash. Im guessing that the CMP 308s are set up for 7.62 NATO rather than 308. A call to them will confirm or deny that. In any case you could still use an adjustable gas plug.

If I was really worried about cleaning I would only have bolt action rifles and o/u shotguns.

Griz, at one time the Navy converted a bunch of M1s to 7.62 (MK2 mod0 and mod1).

Currently the CMP is selling CMP specials in 30-06 and 308.

Think I'm going to say why not and order 1.

Thanks.

If I was really worried about cleaning I would only have bolt action rifles and o/u shotguns.

Griz, at one time the Navy converted a bunch of M1s to 7.62 (MK2 mod0 and mod1).

Currently the CMP is selling CMP specials in 30-06 and 308.

Think I'm going to say why not and order 1.

Thanks.

My 308 Tanker is a commercially made rifle.

I'm well aware of the Navy conversions to 7.62 NATO. The first time I encountered them was when my unit was moving by LST in Vietnam. The sailors pulling deck watch were armed with the 7.62 NATO Garands and grenades.

When I moved to NJ last year and could not bring my HK G3 clone with me, a .308 Garand was my solution to have a semi-auto rifle in 7.62x51 or .308. Some may scoff at a .308 Garand, but read on the CMP forum where the most knowledgable Garand people admit that the .308 Garands are inherently more accurate rifles than the Garands in 30.06

When I moved to NJ last year and could not bring my HK G3 clone with me, a .308 Garand was my solution to have a semi-auto rifle in 7.62x51 or .308. Some may scoff at a .308 Garand, but read on the CMP forum where the most knowledgable Garand people admit that the .308 Garands are inherently more accurate rifles than the Garands in 30.06

What was wrong with your g3 clone? As long as it wasn't an actual HK g3, clones are allowed., I owned a PTR91, which is a clone of the HK 91, and is legal in New Jersey for example.

Chris,

The end of the cocking tube where the triple frame is brazed on is where the bayonet mount is located, it of course has a pistol grip, and a threaded muzzle with a flash suppressor. You are only allowed one extra feature, and I have three. I don't want to permanently alter it because I won't live out my life here is this 2A hating state, so it stays in my safe at my bro's house in VA along with 2 AK's and a sound suppressor for my HK USP Tactical...

Chris,

The end of the cocking tube where the triple frame is brazed on is where the bayonet mount is located, it of course has a pistol grip, and a threaded muzzle with a flash suppressor. You are only allowed one extra feature, and I have three. I don't want to permanently alter it because I won't live out my life here is this 2A hating state, so it stays in my safe at my bro's house in VA along with 2 AK's and a sound suppressor for my HK USP Tactical...

Thanks for the info. I forgot about those features since my PTR came pre-neutered. I'm glad you didn't butcher a perfectly functional gun just to move to this state. And that's a good arrangement you have with your brother. :)