Hawkin

Sheriffs Warning

It's an interesting problem... Law enforcement has been seeing cuts throughout the nation, and now gun grabbers want to disarm law-abiding citizens of the nation. This dumb engineer doesn't see how that adds up to reducing violence. Maybe the Sheriff's message wasn't too politically correct, but it just might be keeping it real... FWIW - Wisconsin reports at about 60% of the population begin gun owners (that's about 3 million WI gun owners).

It's an interesting problem... Law enforcement has been seeing cuts throughout the nation, and now gun grabbers want to disarm law-abiding citizens of the nation. This dumb engineer doesn't see how that adds up to reducing violence. Maybe the Sheriff's message wasn't too politically correct, but it just might be keeping it real... FWIW - Wisconsin reports at about 60% of the population begin gun owners (that's about 3 million WI gun owners).

I read somewhere that hunters in Wisconsin make up the 8th largest standing army in the world.

ETA: http://survivalandprosperity.com/2012/10/12/wisconsin-hunters-8th-largest-army-in-the-world/

I did the math on this once. If NJ has 1.2 million gun owners, we are larger than all of the armies of Europe combined.

Sadly, Most of us are fat and out of shape. We'd be okay facing off against the Salvation Army though. :icon_lol:

I'm particularly sad that someone had to criticize the sheriff for coming clean, instead of spouting protect and serve and then say we're not responsible.

Across the private organizations, new mantra (actually been there for some time) is on how to do better, cheaper.

Most of the solutions involve 'self service' or 'self help'.

I am sure bean counters told Sheriff to do the same - better, cheaper.

So , given the castle doctrine is already in place, dont see why Sheriff's call to getting proper training is bad. If anything, it should help avoid a series of 'self protection gone bad' scenarios.

Heck, I would even advice local PD to open a training center and use the proceeds for PD staffing.

I read somewhere that hunters in Wisconsin make up the 8th largest standing army in the world.

ETA: http://survivalandpr...y-in-the-world/

That is really a huge stretch of a statistical number. Its not really a standing Amry if there is no organization...no structure.....rules...operations....etc...which there is not.

You can claim a even larger one if you rack in everyone in the US with a hunting permit. It means nothing since they are not "standing."