kahout

9mm - First Purchase

I am waiting on my P2P and spending the time learning what I might want to purchase. I am down to a short list based upon what I have read, subjective oppinions, holding the guns in PA, wallet, and availability.

I'll place in order by price and show the price for what I can hold for purchase. Although I have read a fair amount I am a bit overwhelmed by choices and I am soon realizing this will not be my first purchase but it may be some until the next. I would like some oppinions to make the choice between what I list, not to add more choices if I may.

So.... Sig SP2022 ($475 "special" deal with $99 laser),

Glock 19 gen 4 ($600),

Ber PX4Storm ($600),

Sig P229 ($900).

I am heavily favoring the polymer bodies for weight and price.... I might need a bit of convincing to buy the P229 but not against the idea if the best choice overall. I intend to get a Fl CCW and may carry to a PA range. I hope to get to fire at least the Glock when I soon attend the GFH pistol class. Thoughts??

Amongst your choices, I'd pick the Glock 19. Simple and overall they are very reliable. Easy pistol to shoot and will last you through all stages of skill level as you progress.

However, I'd definitely like to suggest the Walther PPQ as well. Accurate, reliable, ergonomic, and best of all, you will not find a nicer stock trigger out of any striker fired pistol on the market today.

The Glock 19 was my primary pistol and for good reason. It would have taken a hell of a pistol for me to choose that over my Glock 19. Well that time has come, and the pistol that came along is the Walther PPQ!

glock 19 is most likely my next purchase, but it will immediately be sent out for a trigger job as i do not like the stock triggers. i sent about 150 rds down range last month with a friends and was not impressed by that portion of it at all. The main reason for this purchase is I have a kel tec that takes the g19 mags and I want to become proficient with that pistol as a result.

I prefer my m&p9c trigger by far, but to each their own. If you haven't shot one I would recommend it. I would also look into the fnx 9 as another option in the $600 range.

If you are going to reach into the $900 range for the Sig my recommendation hands down would be the HK P30, which is also on my list for this year. The ergonomics are great and the pistol gets great reviews.

I was down to the G19 gen4, Px4 Storm, 92FS, and M&P as my choices a couple of weeks ago. You have to go with what feels best for you. Everyone told me G19 but I went with the Px4 Storm and I couldn't be happier. If you can, shoot and handle your narrowed down choices as much as possible and go with what feels best for you. No matter what you choose, it will be a solid choice as you listed very efficient/reliable choices.

I know it sounds difficult, but (within reason) try to NOT factor in the price of the gun you will be buying. A $300 difference is less than 20 boxes of 9mm these days if you don't reload. Over the gun's lifetime, a few hundred dollars is nothing. Start saving up $$$ now and have no regrets later.

I know it sounds difficult, but (within reason) try to NOT factor in the price of the gun you will be buying. A $300 difference is less than 20 boxes of 9mm these days if you don't reload. Over the gun's lifetime, a few hundred dollars is nothing. Start saving up $$$ now and have no regrets later.

heh.. easier said than done.. especially these days.. whilst i agree with you, i'm sure that many newer buyers have a heavy factor in price.. for me personally, im not factoring that much (i want the darn CZ75b Matte stainless and am willing to pay more than MSRP if, and thats a big if, i can find one).. i would love to be able to get a CZ and a little 22 (Sig Mosq or P22 or Ruger SP22) for less than $1,000 if possible..

oh, once i get my P2P's of course.. still waiting on those

I'm beginning to think in terms of lunker and jamesbod. I was thinking in terms of utility and weight rather then many other aspects. Realistically I can plunk down a $1000 w/o getting chest pains and buyer's remorse. That said, let's open it up to pistols that I could reasonably carry (outside NJ).

I want some style without giving up the more important aspects, like reliability, safety, accuracy, and serviceability. A 9mm pistol is my choice. I have small hands so that somewhat limits the choices. I don't have thick wrists either so I want something I can handle. I want a selection of sights to get the best fit for my eyesight… with eyeglasses it is hard to focus near at my age.

The P229, does that fit the bill? Perhaps a P226? Alloy for weight factor? Nitron? Walther?

Sig SP2022 ($475 "special" deal with $99 laser) - I convinced a female coworker of mine to get into shooting and this pistol was her 1st (sans laser). It is a very accurate pistol, as Sig's tend to be. I have a 1995 P226 and have shot many Sigs. If my coworkers Sig is any indication, the SP2022 has a great DA/SA trigger by Sig standards. I don't like the feel of the pistol though. Something in the ergo's of the grip seems "off", but this is purely subjective. I believe there are 3 backstraps available for the pistol, but for some reason, I think it only comes w/ 2. It is kind of large for what it is. In it's price range for a new pistol, there is not much better.

Glock 19 gen 4 ($600) - I am a HUGE proponent of the G19. I have a Gen2 and Gen3 and am considering getting a Gen4 (or a Gen4 G17 and cut down the handle to accept G19 mags). I understand the Gen4's to be slightly more accurate and have a softer recoil impulse. I haven't followed it lately, but the 9mm Gen4's have built a reputation as not being as reliable as their predecessors. There have been numerous theories on this (recoil spring assembly was 1st, followed by the extractor and I've read about other possibilities as well), but I don't believe there is a general concensus that these issues have been fixed in current production. You would be well served to get as recent prodcution as possible since Glock is continually making "improvements" to parts in question. Me personally, I'd get one and if a part needs to be changed out, so be it. Of the choices you listed, the G19 would be my 1st choice followed by the Sig.

Ber PX4Storm ($600) - I've never fired one, nor do I know anyone w/ one. I believe in free states, this pistol comes w/ a 17rnd mag and I don't think there is a 15rnd option. So here in NJ, it would be a 10rnd mag. I have a Beretta 92FS (actually, it's the wife's) that I've put a "D" spring in. It is one of my fav's, but I don't think the 92 series is of the same basic design as the Storm. I've seen people at the range shooting the Storm, but to be honest, in conversation w/ most of these folks, many of them didn't strike me as informed pistol consumers or experienced pistol shooters. While I'm sure it's a good gun, this one would come in last place of the choices listed here.

Sig P229 ($900) - If you like a DA/SA trigger, this is a great pistol. My cousin has one in 9mm and I know a few people w/ this pistol in .40/357Sig. I have a 1995 P226 (older style w/ the folded sheet metal frame). Recoil between my P226 (fullsize pistol) and my cousins P229 (compact pistol) feels identical. Again, very accurate. Having praised the pistol w/ the positive attributes, please be aware that 2005+ Sigs have earned a less than stellar reputation in QC. They used to set the standard for QC and their "to hell and back" reliability was well earned. These days, I've read numerous reports of QC issues on new production pistols that didn't used to be their. If you are the type of shooter that shoots 1000 or so rounds a year, I kind of doubt you'd run into issues. If you shoot high volume, you may give this purchase a 2nd thought. One last thing, I believe Sig has changed the frame on current P229 models in the last year or so. The 9mm used to use the same mag as the P228 and could share mags w/ the P226. The newer model uses a different mag that, I believe, is specific to the platform.

If you are considering the SIG, be sure to also consider whether you want to master a DA/SA pull. Sure, it can be done, but it takes a lot more time than striker fired guns.

Most people who shoot timed drills will fare much better with a single action or striker fired pistol. Sure you can start off a DA pistol in SA mode at the range all the time, but that's "cheating". If you ever used a gun defensively, you need to be able to not pull the shot on the first long DA pull.

Which is why many, including myself, advocate a pistol with the same trigger pull for each shot, and a pull that isn't too heavy either.

glock 19 is most likely my next purchase, but it will immediately be sent out for a trigger job as i do not like the stock triggers. i sent about 150 rds down range last month with a friends and was not impressed by that portion of it at all. The main reason for this purchase is I have a kel tec that takes the g19 mags and I want to become proficient with that

Bdomar don't send your Glock out for a trigger job!! I did a g34 gen3 in about an hour. This was the first time I got deep into the Glock and I can say this was the easiest pistol to work on. I could probably do the same job in half the time now that I know what I am doing. If you have never worked on a Glock you will be very surprised how easy the really are to strip down to nothing but pieces and put it back together. My G34 now has a 3.5 pound trigger and it's great.

If you are considering the SIG, be sure to also consider whether you want to master a DA/SA pull. Sure, it can be done, but it takes a lot more time than striker fired guns.

Most people who shoot timed drills will fare much better with a single action or striker fired pistol. Sure you can start off a DA pistol in SA mode at the range all the time, but that's "cheating". If you ever used a gun defensively, you need to be able to not pull the shot on the first long DA pull.

Which is why many, including myself, advocate a pistol with the same trigger pull for each shot, and a pull that isn't too heavy either.

When you shoot to defend your life, I don't think you'll feel the difference between a 5 pound or 12 trigger.

When you shoot to defend your life, I don't think you'll feel the difference between a 5 pound or 12 trigger.

Feel, maybe not. But you will definitely notice an accuracy difference. If you have trouble hitting your target under range conditions (and many people struggle to get a more accurate DA shot vs doing so with a SA shot), then how much worse can you imagine the shot being under stressful conditions?

Go to a range and rent a few to see what you like, everyone has different preference.

The PX4 has a rotating barrel which helps with recoil. Should be fine with smaller hands, has 3 changable backstraps. It's also a little big to carry but has been done before. You could also look at the compact, still has rotating barrel.

Sig is nice, if your looking to spend that kind of money you could also look at HK.

Feel, maybe not. But you will definitely notice an accuracy difference. If you have trouble hitting your target under range conditions (and many people struggle to get a more accurate DA shot vs doing so with a SA shot), then how much worse can you imagine the shot being under stressful conditions?

I don't know....Sig DA is pretty good out of the factory.

On the other hand, doesn't it pay to have a heavier trigger on first shot? Your brain needs time to identify, make a decision, then the muscle reacts. If you have a light trigger you may have blown away fido by accident.

Training

I don't know....Sig DA is pretty good out of the factory.

On the other hand, doesn't it pay to have a heavier trigger on first shot? Your brain needs time to identify, make a decision, then the muscle reacts. If you have a light trigger you may have blown away fido by accident.

Training, training, and more training is the key. Gotta get it ingrained to keep the finger off the trigger until you consciously decide to pull the trigger. Once my finger is inside the trigger guard, it means I have made up my mind to fire already.

For my purposes, I'd much rather have a consistent trigger pull that will up my chances of landing a somewhat accurate shot, without being so light that it's too easy to fire. About 4-5 pounds is right for this purpose.

The Sig 229 vision is getting clearer. The P229 Enhanced Elite (E29R-9-ESE) looks like everything I would want in a factory fit model. I didn't include a link... read the rules. Includes E2 ergo grips, Siglite sights, 15-rd mag, other improvements. $1200 MSRP. Wil I fall in love....

i'm curious as to why the M&P9 was not

I am waiting on my P2P and spending the time learning what I might want to purchase. I am down to a short list based upon what I have read, subjective oppinions, holding the guns in PA, wallet, and availability.

I'll place in order by price and show the price for what I can hold for purchase. Although I have read a fair amount I am a bit overwhelmed by choices and I am soon realizing this will not be my first purchase but it may be some until the next. I would like some oppinions to make the choice between what I list, not to add more choices if I may.

So.... Sig SP2022 ($475 "special" deal with $99 laser),

Glock 19 gen 4 ($600),

Ber PX4Storm ($600),

Sig P229 ($900).

I am heavily favoring the polymer bodies for weight and price.... I might need a bit of convincing to buy the P229 but not against the idea if the best choice overall. I intend to get a Fl CCW and may carry to a PA range. I hope to get to fire at least the Glock when I soon attend the GFH pistol class. Thoughts??

I'm curious as to why the M&P9 has not made your list? Or even been suggested by others for that matter?

The Sig 229 vision is getting clearer. The P229 Enhanced Elite (E29R-9-ESE) looks like everything I would want in a factory fit model. I didn't include a link... read the rules. Includes E2 ergo grips, Siglite sights, 15-rd mag, other improvements. $1200 MSRP. Wil I fall in love....

very nice. I also like the SAS version w/o the rails.

acaixguard is also right. try both G19 & P229 triggers out at the range. you may just like one over the other. Or just get both.