Hi everyone,

Let me vent out my P2P frustration.

First of all I am 60 year old and I have a very clean back ground. I got my initial FID and 2 permits in January 2012. It took only 3 weeks which made me very surprise by that time. I go to the range almost every weekend to relax and releive my stress which I normally face during the weekdays work. I feel very relax and enjoy when I see improvment in my target shooting. All my guns are just for recreation purpose only.

After several trips to the rage I wanted to have more guns like everyone else.

I decided and applied additional 2 P2Ps at the end of July 2012. It has been 6 months and as of this writing I am still waiting for the approval. Yes, I followed up. Whenever I followed up I was given all different answers by LPD. In December when I followed up with detective I was told everything is fine and he will submit to the Chief. Unfortunately, the previous chief was ready to retire at the end of 2012 and i was told he would not sign anything until to his retirement.

The new chief took over and I was really hoping he would sign after settle down with the new post and nothing is happening as of today.

Yesterday, I went to the LPD personally to find out the status and the front lady told me she saw my file on detective desk and she lectured me there will be several months to do background checks blah blah blah. I was so surprise and explained to her the lastest conversation with detective. She did not seem to accept and even told me it may take sometimes a year to get an approval.

Why was it back on detective desk? or it did not move at all?

I really do not understand why these people are holding my permits for no reason. I think they do not want to issue gun permits.

I am getting very tired. I could not even have a good sleep last night due to frustration. I was thinking to get the lawyer to follow up but on the other hand I do not want to create any waves in between me and the local police.

Please advise what shall I do? If any of you had hired lawyer like this situation what is the lawyer fees?

Any recommendations or contact info?

Any advise are very welcome.

Thank you guys. I feel a little comfortable after venting out my frustration.

Oh. Please do not ask me which town. The LPO are usually browsing in this forum and I do not want any negative impact to my applications. I will let you know when I get my permits. :-)

Oh. Please do not ask me which town. The LPO are usually browsing in this forum and I do not want any negative impact to my applications. I will let you know when I get my permits. :-)

1. How do you know they are browsing this forum?

2. Obviously they are surfing the web and not doign your paperwork

3. Write to your mayor and chief of police and detective. If you fear more delays how worse can it get?

4. Don't be afraid to let us know who in your municipality is not doing their job

5. Have you shared all the details with us?

Have a very nice evening :)

I hate to get down on a new guy with questions, but you are a grown man. Stand up for yourself and demand your rights. Make an appointment to speak with your town's police chief. Politely explain the situation. Document the conversation (i.e. who you spoke to, dates, his responses, etc). If you get no satisfaction from him, make an appointment with the mayor. Contact the firearms division of the state police and see if your town ever even submitted the paperwork. Contact the New Jersey 2nd Amendment Society. They specialize in getting police departments to obey the rules the way you and I have to.

Fair or not, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Do you think the police are going to start writing you tickets because you forced them to do their job?

Did the PD confirmed that your 2 references came back to them?

Some of the PDs will let your paperwork sit there forever & not notify you at all.

Call them up & leave vmail if you don't hear back. I'm pretty sure they need to return your phone calls on vmail.

If you live close by, just show up for a surprise visit. They love visitors & would be glad to spend a lot of time answering your questions. Frankly I feel sorry for LE personnel everytime to speak with them. They seem so so detached from the good folks in town. Imagine going through your day, every day dealing with dirtbags all the time? They really never see & chat with the good folks in town. Imagine that.

Stay positive. It's a win win situation.

By the way welcome to this forum. Stick around, nice crew here

There s a lot of us who share your situation and have been through a similar experience. Vent more it helps......at least for me :)

I dont want to cause you more frustration with my post above.

Do follow the reccomendations lunker posted. Mayor is the way to go when its gone as far as it has.

Since I'm fairly new to this forum I may not have much experience with this. But, here are some suggestions:

1) Ask to meet with the Chief Of Police

2) If no results ask to meet with your town mayor

3) If no results call the attorney generals office and voice your concerns

4) If no results, if you can afford it hire an attorney

I believe you should of started this a couple of weeks after you hit your 30 days. Don't let them intimidate you just cause they are the police. They will drag there asses if you don't say anything. If your intimidated by them, then hire an attorney or wait.

Are you new to NJ ?? Just wondering why you waited so long to get an FID. Join the NJ2AS and contact them asap

I was 46 when I applied for mine. Age makes no difference. Many of us entered into this hobby/sport later in life than others. Welcome to the NJGF Bowin and go talk to the mayor of your town.

I am going on 45 days for a change of address through the Hamilton NJSP. I call weekly and simply ask how it is going, what specifically are they waiting for, is there anything I can do and how long do they anticipate it taking.

I also inform them that I know they are busy but it has been 45 days now and I feel that the wait is excessive. I then thank them for their time.

I am going on 45 days for a change of address through the Hamilton NJSP. I call weekly and simply ask how it is going, what specifically are they waiting for, is there anything I can do and how long do they anticipate it taking.

I also inform them that I know they are busy but it has been 45 days now and I feel that the wait is excessive. I then thank them for their time.

What is their response?

Is there a law or something in place that says this process should take no more than X amount of days?

Yep - 30 days. The fastest I ever got my paperwork back was 3 months, but that was 11 years ago. Been much slower than that since. Lots of people on here have it much better it seems.

Join NJ2AS and ANJRPC. These two NJ organizations are fighting for your rights.

Then do as the others said. Make an appt with the Chief, if that doesn't work, the Mayor. Or just keep calling everyday until they are so annoyed they just finish them so you stop calling.

Thank you gentlemen,

I appreciate all your advise and suggestions. I will make a last follow up to them again and I will make an appointment with the chief and follow by the mayor. This is such a nice place to help each other. it moves me soo much.

And I will join those organizations for future issues (if any).

I think you are in a boat with many people who feel the same.

To be honest, gun control is pretty far down the list of things I hate about this state. My impediment to moving out of state is a large family that I need to take care of.

To be honest, gun control is pretty far down the list of things I hate about this state. My impediment to moving out of state is a large family that I need to take care of.

Someone I know bought a house in 2005, and was paying $8000/yr in taxes. In 2012, her property taxes were $14,000. THIS is the real reason people are leaving this state as soon as the opportunity presents itself.

I just booked a trip to the Houston area, partially for a vacation, and partially to see if we really want to move there. Trust me, guns will have virtually no impact on my decision to move. Job availability, reasonable taxes, and affordable housing are what matters to me.

I just booked a trip to the Houston area, partially for a vacation, and partially to see if we really want to move there. Trust me, guns will have virtually no impact on my decision to move. Job availability, reasonable taxes, and affordable housing are what matters to me.

Check out Austin as well, then. My friend moved there a year and a half ago and other than missing family and friends likes everything about it and he's a city boy.

This is NJ, you will have many. I regret buying a house here every single day, and giving them my tax revenue for legislation I don't want.

I had to get out of here about 8 months ago. It was a difficult decision having kids and stuff like that. However,property taxes going up $300-$500 every year, 6% income tax, HIGH car insurance, high cost for private schools, stupid azz gun laws, random seatbelt/inspection sticker checkpoints...I had enough.

I live in PA, though not perfect, between 3% income tax, car insurance 40% of what I was paying, private schooling 60% the cost, property taxes about the same but I have twice the yard and 1.5X the house. Gun laws much better (for now), no random checkpoints or cops every 10 miles pulling people over on the highway.

Like I said, moving 20-25 minutes further from the family does not seem like a lot, but that's the only part I miss...being to take a quick 15 minute drive to see a family or friend. However, we are making new friends in PA and also plan to spend several hours when visiting family.

However, I have a feeling, sometime in the future PA won't be far enough away. I have my sites on Oklahoma. Houses, family and a job don't mean much if you're living in tyranny and not free.