343gremlin

shooting low left, suggestions?

First, I assume you are shooting a pistol and you are right handed. If so, you are jerking the trigger rather than a smooth, controlled squeeze. This is the most common mistake new shooters make. You should try some dry firing. Watch the sights. They can drift around as you squeeze the trigger but try to keep them in as tight a circle as possible. What you want to avoid is "ambushing". This is when you see you have a good sight picture, you pull the trigger fast, jerking the pistol down and left.

Hope this helps.

I think it's a common occurrence with a lot of new shooters. Dry fire practice helps...one trick I learned is to place a penny on top of the slide close to the front sight and practice dry firing...you should be able to pull the trigger without the penny sliding or moving at all. Practice makes perfect

Aim high right. :)

Seriously, this is the most common problem. It usually occurs because your trigger finger is pushing the gun to the left rather than pulling the trigger straight back. I combat this several ways. One way is to use the first distal joint of my trigger finger instead of the first pad. That is how I shoot heavy trigger revolvers so it is natural for me. Another way is to use your left hand to put pressure against the gun so that it cannot move to the left. Your left thumb can do that depending on which type gun is used. Some use their left hand finger on the front of the trigger guard and you will notice that some guns have flat fronts for that purpose. Finally, if you consistently shoot low left to the same spot all the time, adjust your sights so that you shoot to point of aim. May not be better than practicing good trigger control but it works. Also experiment on where on the trigger you place your finger.

When I instruct people I have them experiment in trigger finger placement to find the sweet spot and that is what you should do. However, I deal with senior citizens now who may only shoot once every year or every few years and cannot seem to learn trigger control in the one session they are willing to attend, even if free. That is when I adjust their sights so that their shots go to POA. recoil.

Have been dry fire practicing quite a bit, my problem most likely is what you guys have stated, my trigger finger/ grip. Problem is when dry firing, i am in DA mode, when shooting its always SA, so this is throwing me off when dry firing unless i bring the hammer back every time. By the way, im shooting a cz75b 40 cal

I am far from an expert :) Have been out shooting a grand total of four times now - but was having the same exact problem. One of the members here was kind enough to take me out yesterday and gave me a bunch of pointers that just about totally fixed the problem. First he suggested that I shoot Isosceles rather than Weaver - that helped some but the bigger issues were my sighting and hands. I had my thumbs up and my left was not even on the gun. He showed me how to hold with both thumbs pointing straight forward. Next was to be smoother on the trigger, pull straight back and actually follow through and hold it back after shooting rather than quickly release the way I was doing. After his great pointers and assistance I was shooting straight on with much better groupings. I would urge you to go out with someone that knows what they are doing and they should be able to fix what is going on. Best of luck from another newbie.

I have an almost similar problem, when i shoot at that same chart, it always goes in the blank circle in the middle. It's getting frustrating for me to constantly hit that center circle, it sucks because it doesn't tell you any instructions. Should I just give up?

:)

I have an almost similar problem, when i shoot at that same chart, it always goes in the blank circle in the middle. It's getting frustrating for me to constantly hit that center circle, it sucks because it doesn't tell you any instructions. Should I just give up?

:)

Don't give up, there is hope - try closing both eyes before shooting - it should cure that problem :D