Luso

Transporting handgun question

Can one transport a properly stored handgun that you lawfully own, from your home, to the home of another family member ?

Can your guns be "left" at those people's houses if I were to go away for some period of time?

I know the law says to the range and straight back with no deviation. I wasn't sure if your own family or a friend approve of you bringing a firearm to their home, if that was acceptable. I go shooting with family members a lot. Is it illegal to bring a gun to their house to simply show it to them, and then drive home with it?

the only issue then is if you get pulled over and you aren't conceivably driving towards some range and they know your point of origin because of your license, you could get into a hairy situation i suppose.

Because theoretically once you are at someones house, the authorities have zero right to enter without a warrant.

It's sad that I can not take something to my own father's house, when we both individually own firearms.

But that is the very essence of my question

A handful of you are making the hypothetical that I am "picking up my friend, to then after go to a range". You are inherently saying its ok to stop at your friend or family members house. My understanding is that this "unnecessary deviation" is not legal, hence why I am asking my question to begin with.

If its ok to stop at your friends, and then go to a range, why isn't it ok to stop at your friends, and then go home?

My contention is the letter of the law says you technically can not make this stop. But then on a common sense level, I see no reason why law enforcement would care if I'm bringing a gun to say my fathers house, who also has permits and guns.

Different question - I have an out of state ccw, and am on my way to the airport with my handgun to travel to one of the states I am permitted to carry in. If I get pulled over, do I still need to play the "I am on my way to the xxx nearest gun range" game? In this state is it still illegal to take a handgun anywhere but the range?

Different question - I have an out of state ccw, and am on my way to the airport with my handgun to travel to one of the states I am permitted to carry in. If I get pulled over, do I still need to play the "I am on my way to the xxx nearest gun range" game? In this state is it still illegal to take a handgun anywhere but the range?

No, in that case FOPA applies.

And PK90, it does say directly when in reference to going to the range, in addition to what you quoted. Interpret it as you will, but I would say there is at least something that might say you can't. :)

f. Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent:

(1) A member of any rifle or pistol club organized in accordance with the rules prescribed by the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice, in going to or from a place of target practice, carrying such firearms as are necessary for said target practice, provided that the club has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent and annually submits a list of its members to the superintendent and provided further that the firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section;

(2) A person carrying a firearm or knife in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this State for the purpose of hunting, target practice or fishing, provided that the firearm or knife is legal and appropriate for hunting or fishing purposes in this State and he has in his possession a valid hunting license, or, with respect to fresh water fishing, a valid fishing license;

(3) A person transporting any firearm or knife while traveling:

(a) Directly to or from any place for the purpose of hunting or fishing, provided the person has in his possession a valid hunting or fishing license; or

(b) Directly to or from any target range, or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions, provided in all cases that during the course of the travel all firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section and the person has complied with all the provisions and requirements of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes and any amendments thereto and all rules and regulations promulgated thereunder; or

© In the case of a firearm, directly to or from any exhibition or display of firearms which is sponsored by any law enforcement agency, any rifle or pistol club, or any firearms collectors club, for the purpose of displaying the firearms to the public or to the members of the organization or club, provided, however, that not less than 30 days prior to the exhibition or display, notice of the exhibition or display shall be given to the Superintendent of the State Police by the sponsoring organization or club, and the sponsor has complied with such reasonable safety regulations as the superintendent may promulgate. Any firearms transported pursuant to this section shall be transported in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section;

I am familiar with the law.

If you are interpreting "directly" as not ever stopping, then don't stop for gas, eats, or a pee break. That is why the law states "reasonably necessary". I think carpooling is reasonable.

I am familiar with the law.

If you are interpreting "directly" as not ever stopping, then don't stop for gas, eats, or a pee break. That is why the law states "reasonably necessary". I think carpooling is reasonable.

I wasn't disagreeing...

:)

It is amazing that a $50 book is available to help sort these questions out. Should this even be necessary but look at how much you can debate what should be a simple question. NJ and you, lees-then-perfect-together.

I love when they ask the "loaded question" do you have any "weapons" in your vehicle? Let's see, hands can be weapons - check, feet can be weapons - check, tire irons can be weapons - check, boots can be weapons - check, glass soda bottles can be weapons - check, keys can be weapons - check. I don't care what I have in the car the answer is always no! Unless you are using an item against someone to either attack them or defend yourself from them it is not a weapon!

Does your dad have land at his house that you could shoot on? Are you a member of a rifle or pistol club?

Read carefully the exemption as worded for members of rifle or pistol clubs. It doesn't say "range." It just says "a place of target practice".

So you're going to your dad's house with the land in the back for target practice...