Sign in to follow this  
so_dank

10 mm suggestions

So finally decided and am in process of getting a glock 20 SF. First owned hand gun ..very excited!! Now the hard part starts. I'm decided on double tap 240 hardcast for critter defense, 180 hollow for home. What would be decent ammo for target.. manufacturer and round also where else can I find ammo besides cheaper than dirt. I've found private citizens and blazer and read some nasty reviews so I'm wondering where to start. Out the door I want at least 500 rounds and canned heat is not in stock. Any help would be awesome. I'm also getting a 40. S&w conversion to cut costs a bit. Not ready for reloading yet but ill be saving brass for the future. Thanks guys so far this forum has been awsone to me.

GA Arms Canned Heat is great stuff for practice. 180gr, 500rd for $215

http://georgia-arms.com/10mm-2.aspx

Ok, soapbox time. I highly recomend you do not get a 10mm as your first handgun. Please do yourself a favor, especially if your set on a Glock, and get a G19 or G17. You will practice more and for monger with a 9mm then you will with a 10mm. There is a HUGE difference in perceived recoil and comfort. The cost alone for 500 rds is significant ($85) so that is more shooting.

Take this for what it is... I am a dedicated 10mm fan and a G20 nut. I have spouted often on how I feel the G20 is the BEST Glock ever produced, so dont feel like this is bashing your gun decision, I personally think you will get more ENJOYMENT and EXPERIENCE out of a 9mm for a first handgun. You have plenty of time to get the G20.

Thanks for the concern I would agree totally. I grew up shooting I just never purchased a hand gun for myself because I'd rather use my parents guns and buy hunting gear instead. I've never shot a 10mm but have shot 357 mag 44super and 45 to death. I am expecting the recoil hoping its not too crazy..and plan on using the 40. for plinking.

I would love to get some canned heat its been back ordered forever.

Ill start with some blazer then its the cheapest I've found besides that private whatever stuff and read private whatever is no good.

Thanks I'm acctually really excited to pick it up I just signed the paperwork this morning and im waiting for nics... Ramsey outdoor 650 was the best I could find in stock... auction went for 750+ :wacko:

So finally decided and am in process of getting a Glock 20 SF. First owned hand gun ..very excited!! Now the hard part starts. I'm decided on DoubleTap 240 hardcast for critter defense, 180 hollow for home. What would be decent ammo for target.. manufacturer and round also where else can I find ammo besides cheaper than dirt. I've found private citizens and blazer and read some nasty reviews so I'm wondering where to start. Out the door I want at least 500 rounds and canned heat is not in stock. Any help would be awesome. I'm also getting a 40. S&W conversion to cut costs a bit. Not ready for reloading yet but ill be saving brass for the future. Thanks guys so far this forum has been awesome to me.

Here's what I've been shooting and paying...

The Remington I bought at a range when I first got the G20SF so the price is a bit steep. The DoubleTap WFNGCH and Buffalo Bore have among the highest energy and TKOF ratings of any pistol ammo I've found. I have tried out Underwood and it can be used in the Glock 20. The Remington and CCI are "lite" loads while the DoubleTap, Buffalo Bore and Underwood are full loads.

10MM

Full Metal Case

Remington 180 1.06/round

Total Metal Jacket

CCI Blazer 200 .52/round

Underwood 180 & 165 .55/round

WFNGC Hardcast

DoubleTap 200 1.00/round

Nosler JHP

DoubleTap 200 .93 a round

GA Arms Canned Heat is great stuff for practice. 180gr, 500rd for $215

http://georgia-arms.com/10mm-2.aspx

Ok, soapbox time. I highly recomend you do not get a 10mm as your first handgun. Please do yourself a favor, especially if your set on a Glock, and get a G19 or G17. You will practice more and for monger with a 9mm then you will with a 10mm. There is a HUGE difference in perceived recoil and comfort. The cost alone for 500 rds is significant ($85) so that is more shooting.

Take this for what it is... I am a dedicated 10mm fan and a G20 nut. I have spouted often on how I feel the G20 is the BEST Glock ever produced, so dont feel like this is bashing your gun decision, I personally think you will get more ENJOYMENT and EXPERIENCE out of a 9mm for a first handgun. You have plenty of time to get the G20.

I second this. You need both a G19 and a G20. You will shoot the G19 much more with the lower cost ammo and get more and more familiar with the Glock platform while improving your shooting technique and accuracy.

Skip the G17/G19 craze. Pic a glock in 40 S&W is the answer. Then get a Lone Wolf 40-9mm conversion barrel. This is the way to go. The G20 can take a 10/40 barrel as well as a 357Sig or a 9X25 barrel.

Plan on reloading. This way you can create custom rounds for your needs. Yeah, you don't save money, but you shoot a lot more.

I'm ordering the 40 pipe out the door.. I have no experience with the Dillon round and 357 makes no sense to me personally. Gonna get a box of whatever to go to the range after i pick it up but Ill order the blazers in bulk. Then ill get some 40. Online as well. Figure this summer after the first wave of fishing I can sit down and play with these presses my parents gave me. I have no idea how that all works so ill be asking about loading watch for me

:)

Just another quick point. The manual on GLOCK pistols specifically states NOT to shoot cast bullets. It has to do with the hexagonal rifling, instead of a normal cut rifled barrel.

That there is a very good piece of information. Lead will not grab the polygonal rifling like copper will. From what Ive heard it will make a hard to clean mess out of a perfectly good barrel and not be very accurate.

Ken

LEO discount

Awesome ... you gotta respect glock and store owners for that. I was going to ask my father in law or brother to pick one up and transfer to me but I thought that would be a douche move. So after tax and nics it was 695.. still better than some auction prices.

That there is a very good piece of information. Lead will not grab the polygonal rifling like copper will. From what Ive heard it will make a hard to clean mess out of a perfectly good barrel and not be very accurate.

Ken

So If I were to shoot lead would the lone wolf replacement 10mm be ok??

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Thanks I was turned onto another glock site that had awesome savings but they recently changed their discount.. you have to be a year long member first. Ill still sign up for one or two just to expand my knowledge.

Ok so I'm looking at 230g hardcast doubletap vs their 200g fmj... woods carry ammo what are your thoughts... (no 10mm bear fights just your thoughts on these two rounds please)

Also for home defense what round would you recommend. Most likely it will hold the 40. In the home for the wife's sake but just curious to what round would give good stopping power less over penetration in 10mm ...lol sounds like a silly question from what I've read. Thanks again you guys are awesome... best forum on the web for firearms info!!

Ohh sorry one last question lol. Hypothetical. If I were to load one clip with 230 g hardcast doubletap.. and unload that one clip... would they all cycle?? Reason being I plan on a fishing trip in the future that I would have this for black bear defense not grizzlies or brown... its private property in some serious country ( not nj ) and I was advised to carry while staying on his land.

I will eventually buy a replacement 10mm but I'm buying the 40. First for my wife to shoot. If I have to go with the glock barrel I just read the hardcast are better than the fmj for animal defense. I figure if I were to have to use it I wouldn't have time to empty a clip would that destroy the barrel or jam up or just dirty the barrel? ??

Just another quick point. The manual on GLOCK pistols specifically states NOT to shoot cast bullets. It has to do with the hexagonal rifling, instead of a normal cut rifled barrel.

Can you show me where it states that? What year is your manual? Mine is dated 3/11 and says that "Glock does not recommend shooting unjacketed lead bullets."

"Fear of barrel leading is one of the greatest barriers to shooters taking up cast bullet shooting and bullet casting. In the final analysis, leading is easy to avoid, and it is much easier (and quicker) to get rid of than is copper fouling from shooting jacketed bullets."

"Veral Smith, of Lead Bullet Technologies (LBT), published a method in his excellent (and highly recommended) book Jacketed Performance from Cast, a nifty and highly effective method for removing lead deposits from inside a barrel. His method involves taking a copper or brass kitchen scrubbing pad (commonly marketed under the "Chore-Boy" or Chore-Girl" brand names) and cutting a patch off of it and wrapping it around a bronze bore brush. The way this "tool" cuts through even severe lead deposits has to be seen to be believed! I have had revolvers that I literally could not even see the lands that came clean and lead free in less than a minute!" - from From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners - Glen Fryxzell - Chapter 7

I have a press that was given to me... I have no idea how to use it or the first thing about reloading but I have some free time before the trout streams open and would love to learn. If your willing to part with it I'd be happy to accept it let me know. Just spent most of my money so I'm not sure what I can offer you but give me an idea and thanks in advance.

Im currently on the hunt for clips since that's probably one thing I can see them changing. Can't find them anywhere and the ones I am finding are 80 to 90 bucks a piece on broker sites :(

I have a press that was given to me... I have no idea how to use it or the first thing about reloading but I have some free time before the trout streams open and would love to learn. If your willing to part with it I'd be happy to accept it let me know. Just spent most of my money so I'm not sure what I can offer you but give me an idea and thanks in advance.

Im currently on the hunt for clips since that's probably one thing I can see them changing. Can't find them anywhere and the ones I am finding are 80 to 90 bucks a piece on broker sites :(

what kind of clips are you looking for? paper clips? hair clips? chip clips? i don't know where your shopping but that seems like a lot for common household items and office supplies...

but seriously if your looking for magazines particularly, ar mags try ar15.com. i bought some from there for $30 a piece and had them shipped to midwest px to be pinned.

as far as the brass and dies, its probably 250-300 cases if not more. i believe de-primed and cleaned but ill check tomorrow. i guess ill let go of it for 50. and another 30 for the dies. just pm me if you want it and have the money. its not going anywhere so if you cant right now but can in a few weeks thats fine too. i got it in a lot of reloading stuff i bought and have no use for it.

Can you show me where it states that? What year is your manual? Mine is dated 3/11 and says that "Glock does not recommend shooting unjacketed lead bullets." "Fear of barrel leading is one of the greatest barriers to shooters taking up cast bullet shooting and bullet casting. In the final analysis, leading is easy to avoid, and it is much easier (and quicker) to get rid of than is copper fouling from shooting jacketed bullets." "Veral Smith, of Lead Bullet Technologies (LBT), published a method in his excellent (and highly recommended) book Jacketed Performance from Cast, a nifty and highly effective method for removing lead deposits from inside a barrel. His method involves taking a copper or brass kitchen scrubbing pad (commonly marketed under the "Chore-Boy" or Chore-Girl" brand names) and cutting a patch off of it and wrapping it around a bronze bore brush. The way this "tool" cuts through even severe lead deposits has to be seen to be believed! I have had revolvers that I literally could not even see the lands that came clean and lead free in less than a minute!" - from From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners - Glen Fryxzell - Chapter 7

How about experience?

In all seriousness, Hard Cast lead is not that terrible... but soft cast lead will foul up and has on quite a few occasions lead to KB's. (Kabooms) in stock glock barrels. We the lead starts fouling, it can foul up pretty quick.

The other big point of consideration.... spend a few cents more and shoot at least Jacketed, or Plated with no exposed lead base.

1. Much better for your health.

2. Much easier to clean your gun.

Glock 10mm for first handgun? :facepalm: Glock 40 S&W for first hand gun? :facepalm:

If money is burning in your pocket I guess.... but when it is your first handgun and you don't know what you want or don't want yet.... why pick up the two handguns that will be quite hard to get rid of, or find ammo for?

At the very least find a nice used one. There was a nice Glock 22 for sale on here for $450 with 3 mags. Better yet, get a 17 or 19 if you must own a glock, play with the system... if you don't like it, you can sell it within mins without taking a huge hit (or any at all if you bought new).

Another option if you insist on... "go big or go home" http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1SWMP45 $459 for a gently used M&P 45 full size.

The big problem with glock 10mm is the super duper huge glock frame that they run the 10mm/45acp on.

How about experience?

In all seriousness, Hard Cast lead is not that terrible... but soft cast lead will foul up and has on quite a few occasions lead to KB's. (Kabooms) in stock glock barrels. We the lead starts fouling, it can foul up pretty quick.

The other big point of consideration.... spend a few cents more and shoot at least Jacketed, or Plated with no exposed lead base.

1. Much better for your health.

2. Much easier to clean your gun.

Glock 10mm for first handgun? :facepalm: Glock 40 S&W for first hand gun? :facepalm:

If money is burning in your pocket I guess.... but when it is your first handgun and you don't know what you want or don't want yet.... why pick up the two handguns that will be quite hard to get rid of, or find ammo for?

At the very least find a nice used one. There was a nice Glock 22 for sale on here for $450 with 3 mags. Better yet, get a 17 or 19 if you must own a glock, play with the system... if you don't like it, you can sell it within mins without taking a huge hit (or any at all if you bought new).

Another option if you insist on... "go big or go home" http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1SWMP45 $459 for a gently used M&P 45 full size.

The big problem with glock 10mm is the super duper huge glock frame that they run the 10mm/45acp on.

Don't believe he is a new shooter. Just new owner/buyer. I knew what i wanted for my first gun after shooting my families guns for years. He stated that he had shot .357 .44 and .45 to death. I think he will be fine with a 10mm especially if that is what he wants.

Uggh walked right into the clips liner.... sorry bad habits die hard. Also yeah its my first purchase I'm pretty well versed in pistols and have held the 20 many times and did some good research. Trust me only one person I know agreed with my purchase. I wasn't too worried about the ammo till I read the bill on the table for no internet sales. Hopefully if that's the case my local shop will let me order to them :wacko: once I get a few mags and some ammo horded ill pm you about the reload items since I can see that becoming a relaxing hobby. Thanks everyone!

Don't buy hat blazer Sh!t, stick with be brass & save it. You might not be ready now but if your not rich you will need to reload to feed hat g20. I'd buy some 180 xtp's for the house & 200 hardcast for the woods. Also I believe most issues with lead were due to not cleaning & shooting copper "kb". & those hard cast don't lead nearly as much.

True on brass very good point.. the home defense are Barnes?? ... just read that the hardcast are not very accurate out of glock stock barrel but shoot just fine... But in my worse case scenario where I would need to use it I think it's a matter of feet and seconds. I'm not looking for super accurate head shot...I'm looking for as many of the 15 as possible in shoulders neck and head with a bullet that can break bone and shred muscle and slow or hopefully stop the critter.. I know I'm not a whiz crack shot when I'm pissing my pants.