Sign in to follow this  
MrSurfboard

Chris Christie says he's not much different then Andrew Cuomo

Except in NJ, if he votes for all these gun bills, his career is over, forever. He'll be lucky if he can get elected a dog catcher. He needs OUR votes to win.

Don't put it past him to switch parties. He'll do whatever it takes to survive.

Except in NJ, if he votes for all these gun bills, his career is over, forever. He'll be lucky if he can get elected a dog catcher. He needs OUR votes to win.

Unfortunately, you are wrong. In other states that would probably be true, but not NJ. This state and a majority of it's voters are anti gun. It might even get him a few more votes if he voted for them.

Unfortunately, you are wrong. In other states that would probably be true, but not NJ. This state and a majority of it's voters are anti gun. It might even get him a few more votes if he voted for them.

I think the poster meant that his national career is over if he votes for these measures. I agree!

Perhaps, perhaps not. The calculation he's making is how many Republican voters can he afford to loose by signing some/all the proposed bills and still win the election. How many Democrats/Independents can he loose under the same scenario and still have the same outcome?

Pols are not votes and we are still a long way from the election, but he enjoys a 70%+ approval rate. That high approval rate is not good news for our cause.

http://www.nj.com/po...ristie_dra.html

Correction, if he votes for all these gun bills his Repub nomination for a pres run is over. If he approves all these gun bills in NJ he'll probably end up re-elected. As much as i hate to say it.

My unfortunately prediction is he's going to let a few slip through.

He will sign some of these laws. He has to. He will be painted as an extremist if he doesn't. My wild guess is that he signs the face to face ammo bill and the redundant background check bill and maybe a few others but picks one to veto -- perhaps the 10 round mag capacity bill (he already indicated he was sceptical of that at his press conference).

Pols are not votes and we are still a long way from the election, but he enjoys a 70%+ approval rate. That high approval rate is not good news for our cause.

http://www.nj.com/po...ristie_dra.html

I completely disagree with your interpretation. I think his high approval rating is good for us. He has political capital to burn in NJ. He can now focus on the national level, where passing any of these laws is going to hurt him.

I agree he'll pass some, veto others. Unfortunately, I think he'll pass 10 round. If it's even considered at the national level, it's not taboo. I think once NYSP weighs in on the bureaucratic nightmare of every 5 year FID reapplication, he'll veto. At least that's what my local PD FID handler said. I hope, hope, hope, he vetoes the face to face ammo, but I think he'll pass. For the uninformed, the image of a freak sitting in his underwear, going on Amazon and ordering 6000 death bullets to his door is just too much to bear. Unfortunately, all our arguments require some thought to understand and cannot be made in 3 seconds or less.

A high approval rate means he can piss off a bunch of us and still get elected. Even if he vetoes all the bills (which he won't do) his chances at national level are pretty slim. A second northeast liberal in a row on the ticket won't fly well withe folks in rest of the country. Heck, it won't fly with me either.

The one hope I hold out regarding the 10 round mag bill is the lack of a grandfather clause. The federal bill has one, and even the ridiculous NY bill allows people to keep their 10 round mags, they just can't load more than 7 (which is comical, but at least better than turning people's property into contraband). Only NJ says f-you to its citizens and, on a whim, turns people who bent over backwards to comply with the law into instant felons if they don't sell (if they can) or otherwise destroy their property. If he wants to he can make a very reasonable argument as to why he won't sign the bill.

The one hope I hold out regarding the 10 round mag bill is the lack of a grandfather clause. The federal bill has one, and even the ridiculous NY bill allows people to keep their 10 round mags, they just can't load more than 7 (which is comical, but at least better than turning people's property into contraband). Only NJ says f-you to its citizens and, on a whim, turns people who bent over backwards to comply with the law into instant felons if they don't sell (if they can) or otherwise destroy their property. If he wants to he can make a very reasonable argument as to why he won't sign the bill.

I agree, grandfather is good. At a federal level, they can require that every post-ban magazine be stamped, "LE only." Obviously can't be done at a state level. Grandfathers are born every day.

Agree, nationally he'll lose votes. In NJ he would be fine.

In New Jersey, signing all the bills would mean "winning by a historical landslide" versus only "winning by a landslide".

But 10 rounds will not be received well in states like Arizona, Texas and Louisiana -- and that's enough to stop him from getting the VP job in 2016. In effect, he'll be committing Republican Party seppuku.

I'm also concerned that he'll sign some others that are a RPITA but difficult to use against him in a primary campaign ad, like FTF ammo sales. I'll still hold my nose and vote for him, because he'll be better than the alternative. But what I won't do is work for him or contribute to his campaign if he doesn't veto most of this.

This is the one that would hurt the most and i am most concerned about. A lot less people will be shooting in NJ if that goes through.

For me, the "least favorite" is a tie between this one and the every 5 year reapplication. The others wouldn't really affect me (which isn't to say I won't fight them.) The home inspection is just laughable. I almost hope they pass it, so we can watch them get spanked in court.

Every five year will lead to an endless nightmare of reapplications. I don't think it will pass, because both local and state PD won't let it.

I'm most worried about FTF. It doesn't cost them anything and is just a cheap and useless victory against us.

The sun will continue to rise, regardless... If FTF passes, I'm proposing setting up a deal with a PA dealer across the river, where we do quarterly massive buys, rent out a cheap ballroom, and turn it into a party. I'm sure we can negotiate a good deal.

No matter what, we've scored a victory in showing them that no matter what they win, it will no longer be "cheap." It will suck up hundreds of hours of their time, lead to embarrassing revelations, and, I fervently hope to be able to show, will actually cost them jobs. This may be enough to at least stem the tide of vitriol headed our way.

Bulman said that when he told Christie he is from upstate New York, the conservative governor replied: “I’m not much different from Andrew Cuomo. I probably agree with him on 98 percent of the issues.”

That claim raised eyebrows, given Cuomo’s liberal leadership on issues like gay marriage and gun control.

But during a press conference on Tuesday, Christie said he was misunderstood.

"What I said was that Governor Cuomo and I were raised in very much the same kind of households. Governor Cuomo was raised by a Sicilian mother and so was I. And so that a lot of our values are the same," Christie said. "I don’t ever remember saying anything like I agree with him 98 percent of the time because I don’t. So I’m sure I didn’t say that."

He went on to say that the conversation was about a shared "style" and "approach to the job of Governor," as opposed to "nitty-gritty issues."

http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1267623

Correction, if he votes for all these gun bills his Repub nomination for a pres run is over. If he approves all these gun bills in NJ he'll probably end up re-elected. As much as i hate to say it.

My unfortunately prediction is he's going to let a few slip through.

Bye that time there may be no gun rights any longer and it's a moot point. That is 4 years away and the way these Marxists are moving we'll be lucky if any of the Bill of Rights will exist. I don't know what to believe or think anymore, but i'm tired, fed up and sick of being slandered and belittled for wanting to preserve freedom.

Its very simple, Christie wants to head to the white house in 2016, if he allows the gun bills to pass he will lose almost all his national support from pro gunners around the country which would kill his bid. He is going to find a way to kill this legislation without doing it out right with a veto.

Its very simple, Christie wants to head to the white house in 2016, if he allows the gun bills to pass he will lose almost all his national support from pro gunners around the country which would kill his bid. He is going to find a way to kill this legislation without doing it out right with a veto.

That is correct.

And it is up to us to remind people if/when he decides to run that he supported gun control, if he decides to sign any one of these bills.

He needs to know this now, that any new gun control is unacceptable and that we WILL remember and that we WILL remind people about it in 2016.