Fatalorian

Sig 226 - which barrel change kit?

Hi folks,

I just received my FID card and PPPs yesterday. I've been to RTSP and a few other ranges several times trying out various firearms while deciding what I'd like to make with my first few purchases. I've settled on a Sig P226. I would like it to be chambered in 9MM and .22LR. I understand that with the various barrel change kits that this is possible and can be achieved in 2 ways.

1) Purchase a 226 in 9MM and then purchase the .22LR conversion kit (http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/04/foghorn/gear-review-sig-sauer-22lr-p226-conversion-kit/)

2) Purchase a 226 classic .22lr and then buy a 9MM X-change kit (per Sig's site)

What route do you recommend? Why?

Being new to firearms world, I would like to draw on your experience to understand if one route is better than the other (quality of materials, ease of attainment, etc.).

Thanks for your input!

I would go for the 9mm and get the .22 kit separate. Who knows if .22 frames are up to spec? Might be some room for corner cutting on those. Plus potential warrantee issues if your. 22 frame breaks shooting a lot of 9mm.

The .22 kit works great by the way.

If they pass this stupid 10 round mag limit you might want to go with .40 or. 45. If you can have 10 only then make it a strong ten.

I wonder if anyone here knows offhand what handguns take 10 rounds of .45 in standard configuration. In New York where the number is 7 the pistol to buy is a 1911. Why get a pistol that has to have a half empty magazine?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

I would go for the 9mm and get the .22 kit separate. Who knows if .22 frames are up to spec? Might be some room for corner cutting on those. Plus potential warrantee issues if your. 22 frame breaks shooting a lot of 9mm.

The .22 kit works great by the way.

If they pass this stupid 10 round mag limit you might want to go with .40 or. 45. If you can have 10 only then make it a strong ten.

I wonder if anyone here knows offhand what handguns take 10 rounds of .45 in standard configuration. In New York where the number is 7 the pistol to buy is a 1911. Why get a pistol that has to have a half empty magazine?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Agreed with this. Buy the 226 chambered in 9mm and get the .22 conversion kit later. I don't see any benefit to buying the gun in .22 and then getting a 9mm kit.

I just recently purchased a 226 9mm and toyed with the same exact decision you are, i went a different route and bought a Ruger SR22 luv that little gun. Now I have 2 guns to enjoy that are totally different. The conversion kit if you can find one will cost more than the Ruger, depending on where u buy it. Good Luck whatever u choose

As far as I can see the only benefit of getting the classic .22 and then the 9mm slide conversion is cost savings and getting two .22 mags with the classic.

The down side, is finding a .22 classic in stock or needing to pay for a transfer fee which eat into the savings. When I was in your shoes last year, I decided on getting the 9mm and .22 conversion.