Johnk-NJ

Will NJ go to 10 rounds IYHO?

The lack of a grandfather clause should make this bill 100% unacceptable under the Fourth.

Remember, the Fourth is not only about searches but also seizures, which is effectively what this bill causes.

On the one hand, I would love to see it vetoed for a lack of grandfathering.

But on the other hand, the anti-gunners are so out of touch they'll want it passed anyway.

10 rounds received 29 "Nay" votes. That's too many "Nay" votes for the Democrats to override a veto. If Christie told his Republicans to vote "Nay", he's not going to sign a bill after he asked them vote against it for him.

Christie is the one calling the shots here.

Most of his Republicans voted the way they did way because that's what they believe. But he also has a few Volvo Republicans and soccer moms who don't know a 15 round magazine from a Pez dispenser and they did what he told them to do.

IMHO, anything with fewer than 27 "Nay" votes, he signs. Anything with 27 or more "Nay" votes he vetoes. He's not going to ask them to go out on a limb for him and then saw off the limb by signing it.

Where can I find the vote counts for each bill?

Where can I find the vote counts for each bill?

You can look it up individually on the State's website

Here are my abridged notes from yesterday, some bills are missing and some votes may be slightly inaccurate

A3687 terrorist watch list

Kean - not enough time to discuss, watchlist governing 2a con right? voting yes anyway, ask to be returned to 2nd reading to inject due process

Greenwald - "better safe than sorry", table motion

Stender - can appeal, no info on why rejection (watchlist is secret)

Y-46 N-30 A-0

3rd reading Y63 N3 A10

A3717

Y70 N5 A1

A3754 34d reading mental health - firearms seizure

Y46 N29 A0

A588 body armor penetrating ammo prohibited

Y71 N5 A1

A1329 3rd reading 10 round mags

Greenwald after mags banned we saw reduction of them at crime scenes

Handlin no return on law, 3d printed magazines

Caroll abitrary amount, pulled out of thin air, will force million law abiding citizens to spend money to replace mags, no evidence 15->10 will save any lives, leo exemption

Green rambling

McHose goal is to keep guns out of hands of criminals, this bill has no effect

bramnick hold bills until SAFE task force reportrs

O'scanlon poorly written, arbitrary

Greenwald 10 # is result of scientific study

Y45 N29 A0D

A1683 3rd reading fiarms ammo purchase

Y74 N0 A1

A3645 A3646 A3666 f2f ammo

Y46 N29 A0

A1116 180 day prohibition

passed

A1387 3rd reading weapon free zones

Wilson

Bramnick double jeopardy and plea bargain issue

Y48 N24 A3

A3583/1613 3rd reading security task force

Y75 N0 A0

A3659 .50 cal

Barnes

Y46 N29 A0

A3748 background check on private sales

O'Donnell

Carroll

Y45 N28 A0

A3510 3rd reading permits, training required

Y47 N26 A0

A3773 A3772 3rd reading fpid pic required, 5 year renewal

Y48 N26 A0

A3797 3rd reading firearms siezed

passed

A3668 divest pension plans

Y44 N29 A1

A3788

Y77 N0 A0

A3796

Y50 N22 A5

AR143 support for gun buyback

Y75 N0 A2

ACR180 3rd reading

Y45 N22 A0

A3510 3rd reading permits

Y47 N26 A0

A3773 34rrd freading fpid pic required

Y48 N26 A0

Those are the seemingly innocuous ones that could bring the entire FPID system to a grinding halt? That's more than a little disturbing if they only received 26 "Nays".

OTOH, I'm a little surprised that F2F ammo, .50 BMG and mental health ended up veto-able.

(A half-million or a million of us have soon-to-be-obsolete FPIDs? And maybe a dozen have .50 Barrett rifles?)

I ordered 4, 10rd mags for my 92FS so you know what I think :(

A bit late for me... Midway USA chose a wonderful time to let me know that 15rd USP 9mm mags were back in stock. 1 day after the bill passed assembly, and one day before my 15 rounders from CDNN arrive (which were $7 more each than Midway)

I bought a bunch of 10 round Browning mags 4 years ago when they were $10 -- it's more a matter of prudence than pessimism.

I'm now concerned that stuff Christie will sign is a lot worse than 10 rounds.

You can look it up individually on the State's website

Here are my abridged notes from yesterday, some bills are missing and some votes may be slightly inaccurate

A3687 terrorist watch list

Kean - not enough time to discuss, watchlist governing 2a con right? voting yes anyway, ask to be returned to 2nd reading to inject due process

Greenwald - "better safe than sorry", table motion

Stender - can appeal, no info on why rejection (watchlist is secret)

Y-46 N-30 A-0

3rd reading Y63 N3 A10

Abstain. :facepalm:

A3717

Y70 N5 A1

Yes :facepalm:

A3754 34d reading mental health - firearms seizure

Y46 N29 A0

No

A588 body armor penetrating ammo prohibited

Y71 N5 A1

A1329 3rd reading 10 round mags

Greenwald after mags banned we saw reduction of them at crime scenes

Handlin no return on law, 3d printed magazines

Caroll abitrary amount, pulled out of thin air, will force million law abiding citizens to spend money to replace mags, no evidence 15->10 will save any lives, leo exemption

Green rambling

McHose goal is to keep guns out of hands of criminals, this bill has no effect

bramnick hold bills until SAFE task force reportrs

O'scanlon poorly written, arbitrary

Greenwald 10 # is result of scientific study

Y45 N29 A0D

No

A1683 3rd reading Criminalizes purchase or possession of firearms ammunition by persons convicted of certain crimes

Y74 N0 A1

A3645 A3646 A3666 f2f ammo

Y46 N29 A0

No

A1116 180 day prohibition

passed

Yes

A1387 3rd reading weapon free zones

Wilson

Bramnick double jeopardy and plea bargain issue

Y48 N24 A3

No

A3583/1613 3rd reading security task force

Y75 N0 A0

Yes

A3659 .50 cal

Barnes

Y46 N29 A0

No

A3748 background check on private sales

O'Donnell

Carroll

Y45 N28 A0

No

A3510 3rd reading permits

Y47 N26 A0

A3773 34rrd freading fpid pic required

Y48 N26 A0

???

A3797 3rd reading firearms siezed

passed

Y74 N0 A1

Yes

A3668 divest pension plans

Y44 N29 A1

No

A3788

Y77 N0 A0

Yes

A3796

Y50 N22 A5

Abstain.

AR143 support for gun buyback

Y75 N0 A2

Yes

ACR180 3rd reading

Y45 N22 A0

Abstain.

That's how both my congresscritters BettyLou DeCrouce and Jay Webber voted.

There will be more WTF letters written this weekend. Jersey Joe is getting one, too.

Those are the seemingly innocuous ones that could bring the entire FPID system to a grinding halt? That's more than a little disturbing if they only received 26 "Nays".

Ignore A3773 (typo), that one was to increase FID to $25 and each PTP to $20 but I don't think it moved out of committee

Should be A3772, photo on FPID and 5 year renewal

Y49 N26 A0

Never have.

Then I won't say "long time no see"

Ignore A3773 (typo), that one was to increase FID to $25 and each PTP to $20 but I don't think it moved out of committee

Should be A3772, photo on FPID and 5 year renewal

Y49 N26 A0

With the manpower involved and the 1966 technology for the FPID and P2P, processing the applications should be costing a lot more than $5 and more than $25, too. A reasonable concern is that if everyone who has received a FPID since 1966 needs to apply for a picture ID every 5 years, and there is no increase in manpower to process the applications, the waiting time is going to increase from weeks/months to eons. The bill will cost a ton of money that the state and municipalities don't have, and it's a redundancy with the NICS -- this one should be high up on the veto list.

At 49 "Yeas" on A3772 the Democrats would be 5 votes shy of the 54 votes necessary to override a veto while the Republicans are just one vote shy of the 27 "Nays" to sustain a veto. But "A" was 0. Did someone step out? It also looks like only 77 were present for most of the votes. The assembly is 48 D, 32 R -- so it looks like there were a few Republican crossovers to The Dark Side and several Ds did not attend the session.

Has Christie signed anything that a majority of his Republicans voted against?

I promise that if Christie signs any of this into law he will never get my vote again for any office whatsoever.

Based on the most recent polls, Christie should be a shoo-in for reelection in November no matter what he does with these bills. Your vote and my vote are pretty much irrelevant. The question in New Jersey is how long will his coat tails be with respect to the state legislature. My guess is the latest NJ district gerrymander makes them not long enough for the Republicans to take control. So it doesn't matter if he vetoes these bills, and annoys a few soccer moms and Volvo Republicans. But that's just my guess.

The second question is the 2016 Republican primaries, and specifically red state Republican primary voters.

I realize I'm guilty of stereotyping, but how do you think the cast of "Swamp People" would react to a fat, Catholic, pro-life governor with an accent? (Louisiana has been electing fat, Catholic, pro-life governors with an accent since the Dawn Of Time.)

How do you think the cast of "Swamp People" would react to a fat, Catholic, pro-life governor with an accent who signed 22 gun control bills, including a 10 round magazine limit?

Christie has already irreversibly damaged his image in the eyes of conservatives around the country. Accepting the Obamacare Medicaid expansion, and the $60 billion Sandy federal aid package, to be specific.

In my opinion, as difficult as it is to come to grips with this thought, the 10 round mag limit is as good as law.

In a strange way, Sandy caused damage to a lot more than we originally might have thought. Namely, Christie's core political principles, and our 2nd Amendment rights here in NJ.

Interesting take on all this.

http://blog.nj.com/n...er_the_gun.html

March 3, 2013

And if they were hoping to put the Republican governor on the hot seat, again they accomplished the exact opposite. That seat is now occupied by the highest-ranking Democrat in the state.

That’s Senate President Steve Sweeney. Those 22 bills have now landed in his lap courtesy of his colleagues in the Assembly. And that puts him in a pickle.

Sweeney is no North Jersey liberal. He’s an ironworker from a part of the state that still has a Wild West flavor to it, right down to the rodeo located within a short drive of his Gloucester County home. The gun guys feel a lot friendlier to him than to Gov. Chris Christie, who grew up in what they consider to be effete Essex County.

"The guys down south are very, very serious about their shooting sports and their hunting, not like the people in the northern part of the state," said Al Dolce of the Central Jersey Rifle and Pistol Club in Jackson.

Dolce said he met with the senator before Sweeney ascended to his current position, and "He assured me that if he was Senate president, there would be no anti-gun legislation passed out of the Senate."

You can't throw in the towel before the bill even hits the senate.

It's a bit pathetic so many of you are already giving up and buying lower capacity magazines.

I agree. There should be 100% non-compliance, regardless of passing. I went out and ordered myself a Sig in .40 just because it came with four 15 round mags.