kotkot

Kids gun for steel / uspsa shoots

Gang,

My 9 year old enjoys shooting ...will even stop playing video game and choose to drive 1 hour to the range...

I am considering getting him a handgun of his own so he can start shooting steel and uspsa with me..

9mm is way too much for him, so I am looking at .22lr. He has demonstrated good safety skills with long gun and airsoft handgun.

Any recommendations, needs to have holsters available...

Firstly, .22LR isnt allowed in USPSA, luckily for you OBRPC has OBRAMS Match once a month ( starts up again in april IIRC ) OBRAMS is a USPSA Style match that utilizes .22LR handguns and rifles.

There is a minimum age requirment for OBRAMS, I cant remember at this time - not sure if 9 years old makes the cut. The match director " Iggyort " is a member here, and will probably chime in.

Steel Challenge though has no age requirment and is a great platform for new shooters and young shooters alike. Some popular entry level .22 guns are the Ruger Mark Series, GSG 1911/Sig 1911 , M&P series, etc.

The GSG 1911 will probably be a good choice since it has readily avaiable holsters and options, and will prepare him for when he decideds to move up to a higher caliber like 9mm or 45, though personally IMO I feel the Ruger Mark 2 / 3 are the best 22 handguns on the market.

-Alec

For a dedicated 22, I'd recommend a Ruger Mark 2 or 3. It's reliable and will last all the way to your grand kids. They do make a holster for it. If you're looking for something he'll eventually grow into, a Gen 4 Glock 22 is a good pick. You can change up the grip, and holsters readily available. Get a conversion kit to make it a 22lr. He'll get use to the motor skills and can eventually move up to the big bore. Snag a 9mm barrel and mags, and you'll have the versatility of 3 calibers in one. Not bad for 1 PTP. Good platform for IDPA and USPSA.

Great question. I have an 8yo, and I too think about how to properly introduce him to this sport.

For steel, i'd recommend a Ruger MK3. They are very reliable and the weight helps with recoil.

There's also a ton of aftermarket parts that will allow you to modify the gun as he grows with the sport.

USPSA is a different story. 22's don't make minor power factor but there are other options like OBRAMS. Which is fantastic BTW. It's new shooter friendly and teaches the USPSA basics without the pressure. But it'll be a few years before he meets the minimun age requirements.

Good Luck :good:

Kotkot, just come on down to one of the OB steel events.

I can almost guarantee that the NJGF crew would be more than happy to let you both try out our assortment of MK3's, 22-1911's and what ever else we have on hand. All at Dad's discretion of course.

Before you know it, you'll both be shooting 625 revolvers.

Things are about to get VERY expensive for you sir :D

Thanks all,

I am frequent at OBRPC events. Steel and uspsa...although last year was light for me and I do know Iggy.

I was thinking along lines of SR22 or walther p22..., what do you think about those?

MK 3 was my first gun and I hate it...

I have G19 with 22 conversion, but grip is bit too large for him.

Things are about to get VERY expensive for you sir :D

Ain't that the truth.

to the OP, you've received very good advice from some very experienced shooters who are very familiar with the shooting sports you mention. I'm pretty sure that 9 is too young for OBRAMS. I'd seriously recommend you and the boy coming to the steel match at CJRPC next weekend, even if just to observe. Reach out to any of us in advance so that we can arrange some time to chat.

I was thinking along lines of SR22 or walther p22..., what do you think about those?

Come to next weeks steel at CJRPC and I'll let you test our M&P22. It's proven to be a fantastic little shooter and terrific for steel. Magazines are hard to find at the moment, but that should pass.

Thanks guys, CJ is too far for us.. My home range is OB and even that's 50 min drive..

I am rethinking ruger 22/45 lite now as well as SR22.. I really like SR22 though...

To Nick:

Shooting zombies with my son... Priceless!

Thanks guys, CJ is too far for us.. My home range is OB and even that's 50 min drive..

I am rethinking ruger 22/45 lite now as well as SR22.. I really like SR22 though...

To Nick:

Shooting zombies with my son... Priceless!

Nice!

A few weeks back i got to help out a friend while he tested out a 9mm 1911 for his son. It made me so happy :D

You have a lot of fun times coming your way.

Beretta Neos - great gun.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

My son bought a Neos last year and LOVES it! We gave it a work-out together and the thing wouldn't quit! Extra mags are readily available/easy to change.

I wouldn't be concerned with holster draw at that young of an age--the "low-ready" position is just fine, so don't even think of having to get something like a 1911 that will fit into a holster.

Dave