Sign in to follow this  
ProperModulation

New owner question on shipping to FFL

I have not bough anything online before. But with the severely limited stock most shops have, its looking like the best alternative.

My question is the process or sequence of events. Do I need to talk to the FFL dealer in NJ FIRST and then make the purchase or do I purchase first and then have the seller contact the FFL?

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

- I'd recommend contacting the FFL first to make sure they'll do the transfer for you and find out what their charges are (*some* FFL's charge "punitive" transfer fees for firearms that they sell/can order).

- Ask FFL for their info so you have it on hand to send to the online merchant.

- Purchase from the online merchant and provide the FFL info. The online merchant then ships the firearm to the FFL.

- Once it arrives at the FFL, visit the FFL and fill out the necessary forms and submit to the NICS check and pay the transfer/NICS fee. In the current climate NICS have been taking several days.

- Once the NICS check clears the firearm is yours and you can take it home/to the range.

Talk to them first anyway even if they re listed as a prefferred/on file FFL on the websites. As you know some websites have a choose an FFL section in which they list the FFLs they have a copy of their license.

But before you order, do try to get quotes from Dealers on your area or via this forum. You might be surprised to find a better price than online.

What exactly do you need?

Just one word of caution when comparing online costs versus LGS:

Online: price + shipping + insurance + transfer fee + nics = total cost

LGS: price + sales tax + nics = total cost.

Sometimes the savings may not be worth the trouble.

Unless it's something that they don't have and can't/won't get for you.

It depends who you're buying from... if it's a bigger dealer on gunbroker or something they'll probably have their own way THEY want things done. Many won't contact your FFL for you. In any case you should contact an FFL near you for pricing information and just give them a heads up you're going to need a transfer soon. At that point, buy your item and follow the rules the SELLER put in their auction or website.