Fred2

Shooting in a Sand Pit or Quarry?

I would think any private property would be ok as long as you have permission or own it, and adhere to municipal ordinances. You can't fire a gun in my town...but your town may be ok. I don't even know if it is legal to take my pistols out to a friends farm and bang a few out with him...

About 40 years or so ago, I used to go shooting with Dad in sand pits, quarrys, farm land etc.

Are there still places to shoot "au Natural" or does it have to be at a proper range?

Yes and No

Yes in that I'm sure there are spots in this state that only locals know of that only they use but they won't spill the beans so they'll say NO.

Like anything else in this state it's a confusing issue. Depends on your town. I would say check with the local cop shop for that area. One other thing, I have read in a few places that public or private it needs to be an "approved" range. Not sure how to take that but I have worked at plenty of farms where nobody cares.

I have a spot that is a sand quarry that is on private property that I shoot on. Handguns, skeet, rifles, shotgun, you name it we shoot it. I am lucky enough to be able to do this, however it's not going to be as much with all of the effing ammo being unavailable.

Unless you know someone whose property you can shoot on, and provided the town ordinance does not prevent it, it's probably going to be hard to find something like that.

Years ago (early 80's) up in North Jersey we used to shoot skeet all the time on private farm land. Local police would show up and ask whether we had the owner's permission, which we did, and they left us alone. One officer even took a few shots with us.

Granted it was a small town, but we were all of 18 years old, seniors in high scholl actually and had no problems whatsoever.