Rysdad

Great analogy...

I read a good one today. I can't and won't take credit for it. Wish I had thought it up though.

we don’t need firearms because we have the Police is like saying we don’t need fire extinguishers because we have the Fire Department

its not the best comparison in my opinion...in that the fire departments job IS to put out fires and rescue people.....whereas the supreme court and nyc have ruled that the police have no duty to protect an individual....most recent example example the nyc subway man almost stabbed to death in front of police...and it was only after the victim disarmed the assailant (who was wanted in connection to other attacks/deaths) that thepolice stepped in

edit..ive noticed for some time all the "mottos" on police cars etc in towns ive lived...that used to say "protect and serve" or some variation are now ..."professional enforcement"..."justice &equality" etc

Great analogy...

I'm good with anything that starts with "anal" and ends with "ogy."

Why do you carry a gun? Why would you need one here?

Same reason I have had smoke alarms in my home for over 20 years. Unfortunately, the smoke alarms never did me any good other than chewing up 40+ 9V batteries. I also don't expect to get into a car crash on the way home, but I'm going to put on my seatbelt just in case. Chances are better that the gun will come in handy.

Side note all fire extingushers are now limited to 15 oz and only release one ounce of powder per trigger squeeze anything larger or being able to realease more then 1 oz of powder per trigger squeeze is considered an "assault extinguisher" and illegal to own.

The answer is, because it's my natural right to defend myself. Last time I checked it wasn't called the Bill of needs...

That's true.  But context is everything.  These are every day interactions and relationships, not political demonstrations.  If you walked into my $500/month apartment and noticed I had a GAU-7 30mm autocannon barrel assembly stuffed diagonally into the "living room" from floor to ceiling, you would rightly ask me, "Why do you need that?"  I would not respond, "Because it's my right MFer!!!" :)  I would explain why.

Depends on what you want the other person to walk away with. Someone who finds it odd that you carry will probably walk away enlightened with an explanation and probably walk away rolling their eyes in response to "My right."

That's true. But context is everything. These are every day interactions and relationships, not political demonstrations. If you walked into my $500/month apartment and noticed I had a GAU-7 30mm autocannon barrel assembly stuffed diagonally into the "living room" from floor to ceiling, you would rightly ask me, "Why do you need that?" I would not respond, "Because it's my right MFer!!!" :) I would explain why.

Depends on what you want the other person to walk away with. Someone who finds it odd that you carry will probably walk away enlightened with an explanation and probably walk away rolling their eyes in response to "My right."

I agree context is important, but in the eyes of the anticonstitutionalists the purpose of the question is not for educational purposes, it completely rhetorical. They don't really care. That is their way of telling us we don't really don't need them because THEY said so. So, the idea of educating them in the debate is a noble one, the reality is, they couldn't care less. At least that has been my experience. Fence sitters are another story though, so there you're spot on. Deciding who belongs to which group is the real challenge.