Sign in to follow this  
Sludog

Looking to get a Walther PPQ or PPX

I was looking a Walther PPQ or PPX for my first handgun. Anyone have any experience with either? I really like the H&K p30 but it seems very similar to the PPQ for about $400 less. Are H&K's that good or just overpriced? Same question goes for Sig's. I also see that the PPQ M2 has a different mag release and from what I understand a new and improved trigger but nobody knows the answer on that one. I can save $50 if I get the older PPQ from the prices I have seen. Are then new changes worth it?

Also on my short list is the Beretta Px4 and Springfield XDM. I love Steyr but they are impossible to find. I can't count out various Glock models as well and I am sure I will own a Glock one day but thought I would go against the grain and choose something different first.

I think 4" or 4.5" barrel would suffice since the gun will double as a range gun and home defense. I would prefer 9mm but may have to go with 40 since they seem to be more in stock at the current time.

I personally prefer the PPQ over the PPX although to be honest the PPX isn't a firearm I've held or fired. I like the striker fire feel of the PPQ and it suits my needs well. As for PPQ M1 vs M2 it really comes down to personally taste as to whether you like the paddle style magazine release. For a left hander the M1 is typically seen as a good option. For a right hander then depends what else you shoot. As I typically shoot a PPS and/or PPQ the paddle style release works well for me. Then again to confuse things I shoot a Sig P226 in IDPA.

If I was to start all over again I would seriously consider the PPQ M2 so I could be more consistent on magazine release style. This would probably mean going for the M&P Shield as the carry gun, and then I'd have to question about having the M&P 9 (Pro/Core) instead of the PPQ... Sometimes it is best not to over think!

The PPQ suits 9mm. I personally don't enjoy it so much in .40 however others do. Unless you are competing I would suggest to go with the standard length barrel since accuracy is more likely to be determined by technique, trigger control etc. The standard length barrel can be used for home defense, at the range and also carried without too much discomfort.

As for PPQ vs G19, M&P, Caracal etc.. All comes down to personal perspective and feel - it is too subjective and you'll get a lot of different responses. Out of the box the PPQ is one of the best striker fired triggers, however the other firearms can have trigger jobs or replacement triggers that can bring them on par. It is more important to find a firearm that fits your grip well and that you shoot well from how it points in your hand etc.

hth

TheWombat

Here is a current auction on gun broker on a .40 cal PPQ M2. It's got over 3 days left, the current bid is $409 http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=332561158#PIC

I actually just bought that one but there is another that may go for less than I paid. Read my last post.

I paid $729 or something like that. The auction i bid on was at 649 and had 3 days left, but i did the equivalent of buy-it-now for 729 because i don't like drama :)

I also got this:

http://www.amazon.co...=veridian+laser

My gun arrived at East Brunswick Sportsman today, i am going to go have a conjugal visit with it on the way home today or tomorrow. It's currently in jail while i wait out the 30 days required since i got my 1911.