Hare Trigger

AR15, Send away or wait?

Here's my delema, I'm going to visit my folks in a "GUN FRIENDLY" state in the next couple of weeks. My Dad will be happy to house my AR for me until I move out of this state or until Christy veto's the pending laws. Do I beat the 90 day disposal that I would be allowed or wait to see what happens? What would you all do???

I knew someone would volunteer to hold it for me!!!

SGT TOADETTE; I believe it is BILL # A3659 that proposes to make "Bushmaster Assault Rifle & Colt AR-15 and CAR-15 Series rifles to become illegal to own and also specifies; (2) Any firearm manufactured under any designation which is substantially identical to any of the firearms listed above.

I'm going to catch flak, here... but I would transport out while everything is pending and nothing has moved. I'd be afraid that smokey will get an odd interpretation of the laws and starts doing crazy stuff.

You'd likely win the court battle but could certainly ruin your weekend plans... Not worth it to me.

I knew someone would volunteer to hold it for me!!!

SGT TOADETTE; I believe it is BILL # A3659 that proposes to make "Bushmaster Assault Rifle & Colt AR-15 and CAR-15 Series rifles to become illegal to own and also specifies; (2) Any firearm manufactured under any designation which is substantially identical to any of the firearms listed above.

Looking at the actual legislation, only the parts underlined are the parts of Title 2C which are being added or modified. Everything else is already law. The substantially identical clause has been clarified and we can still own AR15 pattern rifles provided they aren't actually labeled AR15/CAR15 on the receiver.

The bill you're looking at is modifying 2C in an effort to ban .50 caliber rounds with some stipulations. The clear target of the bill is the .50BMG.

Maybe someone can answer this for me. What happens if you have an AR lower and haven't bought the rest of the parts yet and the law gets passed. Can you still buy parts later and finish it?

My intrepretation (which is worth exactly what you pay for it) is that the lower is the registered receiver that legally counts as the firearm. If a ban is imposed which grandfather's in previously owned AR types then I would expect that you will still legally be able to buy uppers/bcg's/stocks/sights/etc (since they are "parts" and not "firearms") and complete your rifle.

Note that I said "legally able to" and not "quickly and cheaply able to". If a ban passes it won't help the scarcity of parts that already exists.

My intrepretation (which is worth exactly what you pay for it) is that the lower is the registered receiver that legally counts as the firearm. If a ban is imposed which grandfather's in previously owned AR types then I would expect that you will still legally be able to buy uppers/bcg's/stocks/sights/etc (since they are "parts" and not "firearms") and complete your rifle.

Note that I said "legally able to" and not "quickly and cheaply able to". If a ban passes it won't help the scarcity of parts that already exists.

That depends on whether or not the hypothetical ban comes from the State or the Feds. If it's a state specific ban, then it would be relatively easy to obtain parts through the internet.

A lot of the specific concerns that people have aren't answerable until we have specific legislation to talk about. We don't know if bills will grandfather (NJ typically doesn't). We don't know where they're coming from (state or federal level). We don't know how they'll be phrased (e.g. the NJ AWB attempted to ban AR15 pattern rifles by name, but is constrained by the "substantially identical" clause, how future bills approach the inherent difficulty of defining the invented term "Assault Weapon" is unknown).

The best we can do is fight every bill as it's proposed and buy whatever we legally can at the time of purchase. Getting worried about future legislation, imagined or otherwise, isn't what I would recommend. Fight the good fight and buy what you can. Don't get bogged down by doubt.