Sign in to follow this  
NicePants

Any russian ammo can experts in here?

So, I bought a can of surplus 7.62x54R, but it's not exactly a "spam" can. It's more like this big metal brick with a tab sticking out of one of the corners on the top. From what I can see, it seems to be from 1945. I can't find anything with google, so do I have a special can, or was this what they used to do before those nice looking spam cans? Also, is there any special way of opening it? I assume the tab has some role, considering there was no tool that came with it. Or should I just rip the top off with something sharp?

Usually single cans don't come with an opener, only the crates do. You can always grab the tab with a pair of pliers and twist it around that way.

Not familiar with that can but if you can post a pic it might help.

So, I bought a can of surplus 7.62x54R, but it's not exactly a "spam" can. It's more like this big metal brick with a tab sticking out of one of the corners on the top. From what I can see, it seems to be from 1945. I can't find anything with google, so do I have a special can, or was this what they used to do before those nice looking spam cans? Also, is there any special way of opening it? I assume the tab has some role, considering there was no tool that came with it. Or should I just rip the top off with something sharp?

I would assume that it is a can of 440? If it is then it usually does not come with the opener. If you buy the wood box with 2 cans, it usaully has the opener inside the box.

does it look like this?

http://7.62x54r.net/...ID/ammo010e.jpgammo010e.jpg

Nope doesn't look like that.

If it looks like this then slightlymhammer a screwdriver under the tab to pierce the soldering and then use a small crowbar to loosen then rest of the soldering on the side, then use it to open uo the side.

Pain in the behind

I'll give that a shot after I snap a quick pic for posterity. :onthequiet:

Are you sure it's 7.62x54r? My buddy bought a case of TOK ammo that was identical to that.

As far as opening....see that tab on top right corner of the can, pull it down with a pair of pliers. And then roll the lid.